The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko…

The Housekeeper and the Professor

by Yoko Ogawa

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (labfs39, chrisharpe)
    labfs39: Both have incredibly well-drawn, quirky characters that are lovable in their unique humaness. Both have highly intelligent characters that are vulnerable because of their very gift. In both books I learned things in fields not particularly close to me: math in Housekeeper and philosophy in Elegance.… (more)
    A Beautiful Mind: The Life of Mathematical Genius and Nobel Laureate John Nash by Sylvia Nasar (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano (DetailMuse)
    Translucent Tree by Nobuko Takagi (marietherese)
    Naoko by Keigo Higashino (sjmccreary)
    sjmccreary: Also shows an ordinary Japanese family dealing privately with an extraordinary situation. No baseball or math, but lots of great descriptions of Japanese life.
    The history of love by Nicole Krauss (Becchanalia)

English (151)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (161)
A perfect little novel. A housekeeper goes to work for a math professor who, due to a previous head injury, can only remember things for 80 minutes. He can remember everything up to his head injury, but everything that happens after that can be remembered only for 80 minutes, and then it disappears as if it had never happened. He covers his clothes in post-it notes that serve as reminders for him. The most important one says "my memory is only eighty minutes long" and he wears this on his sleeve so that he always knows the reason why he is confused. He is a brilliant mathematician, and that brilliance is still preserved. He has an autistic-like familiarity with numbers and their relationships, and he imbues them with life and personality, and conveys this enthusiasm to his housekeeper and her young 10 year old son Root (nicknamed by the professor, for the square flat top of his head). Every time the housekeeper comes to work, she has to introduce herself to the professor. But they come to form a warm and generous friendship. She accepts his disability and works with it, and doesn't regard him in a lesser light for it. He opens up to her a new world of mathematics and shows her the beauty of it. The book is peppered with complex mathematical theories and yet they don't intrude. The author has presented them to us in the same way as the professor, so in a way she has become the professor, and we the housekeeper.
Despite the content, the story is never heavy or cumbersome. It always remains airy, evenly paced and quiet, very "Japanese". ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
This book has me torn. On the one hand it is a beautiful story about purity, goodness and friendship - a housekeeper takes a job cleaning for an ex-maths professor whose memory is limited to 80 minutes, and Ogawa wonderfully portrays the warmth of their friendship against the odds of having to meet again for the first time every morning.

The selflessness and caring nature of the housekeeper is very moving, and the Japanese culture of respect for the elderly is very evident - I'm not sure that such a premise for a book would work in a western setting where most people are too busy to have the patience and devotion to duty that the housekeeper demonstrates.

That being said, I had two negative issues with this book. Firstly, there are two threads of baseball and mathematics running through the book, neither of which I have any significant interest in. I normally love these kind of connecting webs in books, but they just went on a bit at times, and I found myself skipping whole paragraphs in places as a result.

Secondly, whilst this book definitely succeeded in developing its characters wonderfully, their polite friendship wasn't quite enough to tug on my heartstrings, and as a result the book fell a little flat overall. I did enjoy reading it, and the pages turned easily enough, but I have a feeling I will forget it fairly quickly.

3.5 stars - quiet and sensitive but a little underwhelming. ( )
  AlisonY | Apr 2, 2016 |
Nothing spectacular, especially if one is not a big fan of either baseball, math, or both.
Review: https://weneedhunny.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/the-housekeeper-the-professor-yoko-ogawa/
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
This was such a sweet, lovely book. Very restrained... the language is simple, so the narrator's voice (a housekeeper) rings true. There's a little bit of A Beautiful Mind-like intersection of mathematics and a mental disturbance, but it's dealt with so quietly and beautifully that the whole set-up of the book, despite being unusual enough that it would probably be unbelievable in another context, seems almost natural. I felt like I relaxed into this story, and enjoyed every minute of it. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
I'm giving it a five even if it's not perfect, because it is such a lovely, albeit sad, novel. It's one of the few novels I really enjoyed last year, and I liked it so much, I gave it to someone for Christmas (a new copy, of course.) ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Den mycket uppskattade japanska författaren Yoko Ogawa introduceras på svenska med en riktig hjärteknipare. Annat brukar det sällan bli när gamla, sjuka gubbar sammanförs med barn.
added by Jannes | editDagens Nyheter, Jonas Thente (Jan 18, 2011)

The narrator in Ogawa's mysterious, suspenseful, and radiant fable, the youngest housekeeper at the agency, knows that her new client will be a challenge: nine housekeepers have already been fired. But when she meets the Professor in his small cottage, she is intrigued instead of wary. A brilliant mathematician, he lives a surreal life. The elderly Professor can't remember anything after 1975. He can absorb new information and new experiences for 80 minutes at a stretch, then it is erased, and he has to start over. Quiet and kind, his jacket festooned with scraps of paper on which he writes notes to remind himself of what he always forgets, he spends his puzzling days solving highly advanced math problems and winning national contests. At long last, he has the perfect companions. The smart and resourceful housekeeper, the single mother of a baseball-crazy 10-year-old boy the Professor adores, falls under the spell of the beautiful mathematical phenomena the Professor elucidates, as will the reader, and the three create an indivisible formula for love
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Donna Seaman

Yoko Ogawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snyder, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We called him the Professor.
No matter how much time passed, I was always the young woman who made painfully slow progress with numbers, and my son would always be the boy who simply appeared, and was embraced.
I'm not sure why I became so absorbed in a child's math problem with no practical value. At first, I was conscious of wanting to please the Professor, but gradually that feeling faded and I realized it had become a battle between the problem and me. . . . At first, it was just a small distraction, but it quickly became an obsession. Only a few people know the mystery concealed in this formula, and the rest of us go to our graves without even suspecting there is a secret to be revealed.
But those things aren't the goal of mathematics. The only goal is to discover the truth. The Professor always said the word truth in the same tone as the word mathematics.
After all these years, I'm still at a loss for words to describe how purely the Professor loved children – except to say that it was as unchangeable and true as Euler's formula itself.
He treated Root exactly as he treated prime numbers. For him, primes were the base on which all other natural numbers relied; and children were the foundation of everything worthwhile in the adult world.

There is actually a Japanese movie Hakase no Aishita Sushiki / The Professor and His Beloved Equation, that may be inspired by this novel.

He is a brilliant math Professor with a peculiar problem—ever since a traumatic head injury, he has lived with only eighty minutes of short-term memory.

She is an astute young Housekeeper—with a ten-year-old son—who is hired to care for the Professor.

And every morning, as the Professor and the Housekeeper are introduced to each other anew, a strange and beautiful relationship blossoms between them. Though he cannot hold memories for long (his brain is like a tape that begins to erase itself every eighty minutes), the Professor's mind is still alive with elegant equations from the past. And the numbers, in all of their articulate order, reveal a sheltering and poetic world to both the Housekeeper and her young son. The Professor is capable of discovering connections between the simplest of quantities—like the Housekeeper's shoe size—and the universe at large, drawing their lives ever closer and more profoundly together, even as his memory slips away.

Yoko Ogawa's The Housekeeper and the Professor is an enchanting story about what it means to live in the present, and about the curious equations that can create a family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:18 -0400)

He is a brilliant math professor, with a peculiar problem--since a traumatic head injury, he has lived with only 80 minutes of short-term memory. She is an astute young housekeeper with a 10-year-old son who is hired to care for the professor. Between them, a strange, beautiful relationship blossoms.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible