Runaways: Dead End Kids Premiere HC…

Runaways: Dead End Kids Premiere HC (Runaways (Marvel)) (original 2009; edition 2008)

by Joss Whedon, Michael Ryan (Illustrator)

Series: Runaways (8)

3841941,565 (3.82)6
Member:aapike
Title:Runaways: Dead End Kids Premiere HC (Runaways (Marvel))
Authors:Joss Whedon
Other authors:Michael Ryan (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel Comics (2008), Edition: Premiere, Hardcover, 152 pages
Tags:Runaways, Marvel comic, Time travel,

Runaways, Volume 8: Dead End Kids by Joss Whedon (2009)

Despite the dreadful storytelling skills of artist Michael Ryan, Joss Whedon manages to eke out an enjoyable tale. ( )
  rickklaw | Oct 13, 2017 |
this is a lovely little thing. joss's goes all fanwriter on Brian K Vaughan's Runaways, which is funny in itself. and time travels them all to 1907 London, which also has people with powers, and they aren't treated like teenagers there because teenage is a concept that hasn't been invented yet. so, some new characters, lots of steampunk, and street wars, and extravagant subplots and general mayhem and jossian wordplay ensues. and Michael Ryan's art is just as fabulous as it needs to be to carry the whole thing off. ( )
1 vote macha | Dec 20, 2016 |
This volume was the reason I decided to read Runaways (although I started from the beginning, in part because I'm enjoying Vaughan's Saga).

I quite enjoyed reading this story, and my main complaint that it wasn't longer. It would have been nice to have more issues about 1907 and it's characters, and it would've been interesting to see what else Whedon would have done with the Runaways.

The characters felt the same as under Vaughan, and the artwork, while slightly different was similar enough (unlike some guest artists). The time-travel story back to 1907 was delightful, with all the characters it introduced. ( )
1 vote teknognome | Nov 14, 2016 |
For no real reason, I blame Joss Whedon for my liking this book the least so far.

Sorry, Joss. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I have to wonder if Whedon and Vaughan decided to swap books for one run. Here, Joss takes on Runaways, while Vaughan also wrote a run of Buffy Season 8. Was it planned? Who knows.

So, Joss writes our Runaways back to New York and a meeting with the Kingpin. This leads to them stealing something that might have belonged to their parents, the Punisher on their trail, and a horribly scarred flying beast of a man who works for a little old lady. All of this lands the team a hundred years in their past, New York 1907, where things grow tense between street gangs and a group of do-gooders calling themselves the "Upward Path" (think if a bunch of religious zealots and teetotalers became superheroes).

The group makes some new friends along the way, but who will make it out of 1907 and back to the present?

This one feels very Joss, which can be off-putting, but I enjoyed it. Nice to see another talented writer take on Vaughan's characters. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Oct 2, 2014 |

Joss Whedonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ryan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The kids start running in a different direction. Superstar Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Astonishing X-Men) and rising star Michael Ryan (New Excalibur, New X-Men) take the Runaways to the Big Apple. While there, they make surprising allies and even more surprising enemies. Collects Runaways #25-30

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

Forced to flee to New York when their Los Angeles hideout is compromised, the Runaways become mixed up with criminal boss the Kingpin, a decision that leads to a fight with the Punisher and a trip back in time to 1907.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,486,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible