E.E. Cummings: Complete Poems 1904-1962 by…

E.E. Cummings: Complete Poems 1904-1962

by e. e. cummings

Great poet. Favorite poem is "i carry your heart'.
Lack of proper punctuation/capitalization.
Rhyming, metaphors, similes.
  TaraMichael | Oct 15, 2013 |
who knew? cummings writes some of the sexiest love poems around. move over Barry White. No. seriously. Move OVER. ( )
  evanroskos | Mar 30, 2013 |
There is no poet that seems to speak to me more than e.e. cummings. I don't know how he does it (or did it) and examining it too closely is probably not the best idea. His poetry just frankly makes my stomach flop over. For good or ill. ( )
  terrybain | Jul 30, 2008 |
This got to be the poet who has meant most to me, and he has followed me through life. Cummings has this marvelous perceptiveness that make things stand out from the background as small gems and handfuls of reality. His sentences have the syntax of thoughts half thought and voices that murmur in the back of our minds. His imagery is as fresh and clear and wonderful as a day in spring, and his issues are always the only ones that really count; closeness, love, friendship, time, nature and death. This is the book that always makes me feel alive and happy to be so. It came to me the first time I fell seriously in love, and it never fails to revive the magic of those days. When I sit around reading it my wife laughs at me and says: "So it's that time of the year again!" Which it is. An incredible book. ( )
1 vote agricolaoval | May 12, 2007 |
I cannot choose a favorite author or a favorite book, but I can choose a favorite poet. This book sits right above where I sleep. I consult it regularly. ( )
1 vote eslee | Apr 27, 2006 |

This centennial edition of E. E. Cumming's Complete Poems, published in celebration of his birth on October 14, 1894, contains all of the poems published or designated for publication by the poet in his lifetime.

At the time of his death in 1962, E. E. Cummings was, next to Robert Frost, the most widely read poet in America. Combining Thoreau's controlled belligerence with the brash abandon of an uninhibited bohemian, Cummings, together with Pound, Eliot, and William Carlos Williams, helped bring about the twentieth-century revolution in literary expression. He is recognized on the one hand as the author of some of the most beautiful lyric poems written in the English language, and on the other as one of the most inventive American poets of his time—in the worlds of Richard Kostelanetz, "the major American poet of the middle-twentieth-century."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:46 -0400)

Legacy Library: e. e. cummings

e. e. cummings has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See e. e. cummings's legacy profile.

See e. e. cummings's author page.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,698,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible