E. E. Cummings: Complete Poems, 1904-1962…

E. E. Cummings: Complete Poems, 1904-1962 (Revised, Corrected, and… (edition 1994)

by E. E. Cummings, George James Firmage (Editor)

Member:ITersy
Title:E. E. Cummings: Complete Poems, 1904-1962 (Revised, Corrected, and Expanded Edition)
Authors:E. E. Cummings
Other authors:George James Firmage (Editor)
Info:Liveright (1994), Edition: Revised, Corrected, and Expanded Edition, Hardcover, 1136 pages

E.E. Cummings: Complete Poems 1904-1962 by e. e. cummings

Recently added bybness2, private library, NekoApocalypse, kyoki, theodarling, LierinM, KatjaJuliannova
Legacy LibrariesRobert Ranke Graves

Man, what's to say about e.e. cummings poetry? It's simply one-of-a-kind. I feel like the closest you get to it is James Joyce's Finnegans Wake and yet those are two wildly different beasts. The poet followed a path so many poets took, starting out at his strongest and then at different rates growing less and less sharp. Though this is almost never an absolute curvature, it does show in the trend. The difference in quality is most notable when the main part of the book ends (the poems published in collections presented in their entirety) and the uncollected poems start. The uncollected poems, like the collected poems, follow a chronological order until you reach the appendices which contain juvenilia that I can almost guarantee e.e. cummings didn't want to see the light of day. In fact, the uncollected poems contain perhaps some of the greatest verse in the book.

In terms of technique, cummings plays with type, line breaks, and even forces you to sound out the words piece by piece- often leading you to sound things out incorrectly before the word is completed. The creativity at first seems to suggest expansive possibilities but as I said before, somewhere along the line he got less inspired and for whatever reason it wasn't words that failed him but the tricks. Just kidding. It was the words, too.

Someone told me e.e. cummings was a genius. It might be a little bit hard to see that in the main experimental material in this book, but if you flip over to the appendices and read what he was writing at Harvard, the poems do show a great deal of technical acumen. I think to him, though, it was clear that he had to pursue a more original direction. None of that material is classic, per say, but it does show a considerable mind at work. ( )
  Salmondaze | Jun 20, 2016 |
For every 25 poems I read, only one would really stir me. My 2 stars aren't a reflection of his poetry but my ability to enjoy. For the most part his kind of poetry is not the kind I wish to read. ( )
  FourOfFiveWits | Feb 23, 2015 |
Great poet. Favorite poem is "i carry your heart'.
Lack of proper punctuation/capitalization.
Rhyming, metaphors, similes.
  TaraMichael | Oct 15, 2013 |
who knew? cummings writes some of the sexiest love poems around. move over Barry White. No. seriously. Move OVER. ( )
  evanroskos | Mar 30, 2013 |
There is no poet that seems to speak to me more than e.e. cummings. I don't know how he does it (or did it) and examining it too closely is probably not the best idea. His poetry just frankly makes my stomach flop over. For good or ill. ( )
  terrybain | Jul 30, 2008 |

This centennial edition of E. E. Cumming's Complete Poems, published in celebration of his birth on October 14, 1894, contains all of the poems published or designated for publication by the poet in his lifetime.

At the time of his death in 1962, E. E. Cummings was, next to Robert Frost, the most widely read poet in America. Combining Thoreau's controlled belligerence with the brash abandon of an uninhibited bohemian, Cummings, together with Pound, Eliot, and William Carlos Williams, helped bring about the twentieth-century revolution in literary expression. He is recognized on the one hand as the author of some of the most beautiful lyric poems written in the English language, and on the other as one of the most inventive American poets of his time—in the worlds of Richard Kostelanetz, "the major American poet of the middle-twentieth-century."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:35 -0400)

Legacy Library: e. e. cummings

e. e. cummings has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See e. e. cummings's legacy profile.

See e. e. cummings's author page.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,412,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible