Real World by Natsuo Kirino

Real World

by Natsuo Kirino

Disappointing, especially since I really liked Kirino's earlier book Out. ( )
  sharwass | Apr 25, 2013 |
At first I did not have any idea what this book would be about. I was pleasantly suriprised though. It not just a thriller, because the actual crime is not described. Nor is the search for the killer, because it is already clear who did it.
This book is more about the way of thinking of teenage girls and one boy. How the see themselves, the world around them and how they act.

Love, envy, betrayal,curiosity are all elements of the realations between the teenagers and a large part of this book.

I was really sad, this book made a big impression on me. Especially the outcome of the book, it was unexpected and sad.

But, nevertheless I really enjoyed the read! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Good writing - fully realized characters. Unfortunately I didn't think there was anything real special about the story. I was expecting a better insight into Japanese culture but didn't get it. These characters sounded just like any American teen except for the Asian sense of "Face." ( )
  EctopicBrain | Jul 31, 2012 |
This was unrelentingly miserable and doom-laden. Altogether rather film noir. Four teenage girls living in Tokyo get involved with a neighbour who has battered his mother to death, each finding him fascinating for their own individual reasons. Things spiral out of control and more deaths occur.

The author makes good use of the teenage mentality – the intensity, the melodrama, the sense that adults are out to get them – to build the plot. The danger can be seen to come either from the environment in which the characters live, or from their own tendency to over-react. That said, I was seized by a middle-aged instinct to grab them all by the scruff of the neck, tell them to get over themselves, buckle down and start living in the....ahem....Real World. ( )
  jayne_charles | Jun 4, 2011 |
This is the first of Kirino's work that I've read, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. It's most certainly a psychological novel, not to mention a social commentary, and I expect some readers won't understand the motivations of the characters. But the writing was crisp and the course of the story unpredictable--I was never quite sure what would happen next. Not the sort of thing you want to read if you expect all stories to have happy endings, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone who might like something a little unusual. ( )
  cnrivera | May 18, 2011 |

Natsuo Kirinoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ligterink, YolandeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'm penciling in my eyebrows when the smog alert siren starts blaring.

A stunning new work of the feminist noir that Natsuo Kirino defined and made her own in her novels Out and Grotesque.

In a crowded residential suburb on the outskirts of Tokyo, four teenage girls indifferently wade their way through a hot, smoggy summer and endless “cram school” sessions meant to ensure entry into good colleges. There’s Toshi, the dependable one; Terauchi, the great student; Yuzan, the sad one, grieving over the death of her mother—and trying to hide her sexual orientation from her friends; and Kirarin, the sweet one, whose late nights and reckless behavior remain a secret from those around her. When Toshi’s next-door neighbor is found brutally murdered, the girls suspect the killer is the neighbor’s son, a high school boy they nickname Worm. But when he flees, taking Toshi’s bike and cell phone with him, the four girls get caught up in a tempest of dangers—dangers they never could have even imagined—that rises from within them as well as from the world around them.

Psychologically intricate and astute, dark and unflinching, Real World is a searing, eye-opening portrait of teenage life in Japan unlike any we have seen before.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:36 -0400)

In a suburb on the outskirts of Tokyo, four teenage girls become suspicious of a neighbor's teenage son when his father is found brutally murdered and the young man disappears, unaware that all four of them will become caught up in the crime.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,284,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible