Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Dark curse : a Carpathian novel by Christine…

Dark curse : a Carpathian novel (edition 2008)

by Christine Feehan

Member:agentq
Title:Dark curse : a Carpathian novel
Authors:Christine Feehan
Info:New York : Berkley Books, 2008.

Dark Curse by Christine Feehan

I have really enjoyed reading all of the books in the Dark series. I believe this book really lifted my spirits for the Carpathian people. They've finally found out what is causing their women to miscarry and their infants to die. For me, there is finally hope and I am really excited to continue on with the series now that the problem has been uncovered. I think Christine Feehan is an amazing writer and I really enjoy reading her books. ( )
  ecmross | Apr 19, 2019 |
A nice progression on the storyline explaining why the Carpathians are having problems reproducing. Nicholas was also surprisingly more modern than the others lately, even though he was one of the 'ancients'. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
The best dark carpathian novel in a long time! Doesn't just forget the rest of the characters, pulls the new lovers into the legend and lives and challenges of the Carpathians. The narrative makes sense as you're reading, you can connect the events, I liked it. I was ready to give up after the weird after-life surrealism of Dark Possession. ( )
  fbswss | Feb 2, 2014 |
Nicolas is another one of those dominate de La Cruz males, but Lara would rather be dead than be controlled.

Xavier, a master mage, became jealous of the Carpathian 'immortality'. He started plotting how to steal their ability to heal, by drinking their blood. He also decided to destroy the species. He has used Dark Magics, biological weapons, and toxins (to poison the soil) to make the females unable to bring a baby to term. He is now a vampire.

Lara was tortured by Xavier, her great grandfather, as a child and has strong mage abilities. She can remove the infection from a female or male. (The males are absorbing the infection from the soil, maybe. The females are infected by the males. If a baby is carried to term, it is infected by its mother and generally dies.)

Lara must stop after two blood transfers (three is necessary to make her Carpathian and complete the ritual binding to Nicolas) because they don't know if she will lose her mage abilities, hence her ability to save the species, if she becomes Carpathian. ( )
  ktoonen | May 16, 2009 |
The heroine gnaws through her scarred wrists, allowing her blood to drain into the dirt because she believes suicide is the only way to escape the hero. Unfortunately, she survives and the book goes on, and on, and on from there.

Feehan includes a lot of the Carpathian Language in the dialog, and adds anthropological essays in the back matter. I found the supplemental material to be the most interesting part of the book. She has created an intricate world, but she's run out of interesting ways to tell stories about it. ( )
1 vote trekchick | Feb 23, 2009 |

Christine Feehanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gigante, PhilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister Anita Toste, who shares my love of strange things, will stay up with me until all hours of the night writing spells and making me laugh at childhood memories, and who I have always loved and counted on my entire life: This one is for you.
The cold should have made her shiver, but it was fear, terrible bone-chilling fear, that seized Lara, causing such tremors they were impossible to control.

Lara Calladine is haunted by childhood memories of being held prisoner in an ice cave and kept sane by the whispered stories told to her by her imprisoned aunts. They instilled mage and Carpathian magic deep within her and then helped her escape. She has spent years searching for the cave in hopes of finding the answers to the riddle of her past as well as finding her aunts who may have given their lives saving her.

Nicolas De La Cruz has returned to the Carpathian Mountains--his homeland--on orders from his eldest brother, Zacarias, to bring news of a conspiracy to the prince of their people. He is weary of his long existence and plans to end it away from his brothers where they will be unable to stop him once he has fulfilled his duty.
Lara and Nicolas paths collide in an explosive adventure that rocks the Carpathian world.

Dragonseeker Lara Calladine and dangerous, arrogant Nicolas De La Cruz search the treacherous Carpathian landscape for the truth about their pasts--and discover a passion that neither has ever known before.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible