JavaScript: The Good Parts by Douglas…

JavaScript: The Good Parts (edition 2008)

by Douglas Crockford

Collections:Computer, Currently reading, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:javascript, @wishlist, test

JavaScript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford

Recently added byraykhenberg, jeremyspiegel, ktmax, ericgorr, Umecan, simonspacecadet, Pugio, private library, mlavallee, Parker-Robinson
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

Shoulda read this a long time ago. ( )
  simonspacecadet | Jul 29, 2018 |
This book is a pleasantly succinct tour of only the most powerful aspects of JavaScript. For anyone coming from another programming language and perplexed by JavaScript (as I was), this book will definitely help you to understand the logic of its strange design. Everything in JavaScript (be it a string, array, number, etc.) is actually an object, and every object is built from an object prototype. Most amazing is the fact that you can actually augment these prototypes with your own customized methods, methods which are then inherited by any objects built from the prototypes. In a nutshell, you can change the way the language behaves at a rudimentary level to suite your style and needs. "JavaScript: The Good Parts" teaches you how to do this and many other things, as well as warns against which parts of the language to avoid. One of the best aspects of the book is its terseness, which will allow you to read it from start to finish in a month or two and immediately begin putting all of its excellent insights to good use. For anyone with programming experience wanting to get a handle on JavaScript I highly recommend this book.

If you are brand new to programming and are attempting to learn JavaScript as your first language, I would recommend these two books [Learning JavaScript and The Object-Oriented Thought Process] (or any books along those lines) prior to reading "JavaScript: The Good Parts", since without a preliminary grasp of JavaScript syntax and object-oriented programming you may find "JavaScript: The Good Parts" to be highly abstruse. ( )
1 vote cliffhays | Dec 27, 2013 |
Very concise and on-point description of the core Javascript language. At times I found it a bit too terse though and had to use the Internet for help. ( )
  Tobias.Bruell | Oct 3, 2013 |
Douglas Crockford has THE ANSWERS to javascript. ( )
  MercerTraieste | Jun 10, 2013 |
I was never going to be thrilled with this book because ugh, javascript.
But I was expecting more than a typical 2-star throwaway tech book. It was hard to get past the inconsistency (globals variables are bad, let's tack new methods onto global prototype objects!), bad editing, and repetition (I think one code snippet was repeated a total of 3 times).

A lot of people seem to like this book. If the idea of subsetting a language to produce a better variant is new to you, or if you've been stuck in the javascript salt mines, without noticing the river Lisp curving its way through them, or perhaps if protypical inheritance is a new concept for you, I can see how it could be a breath of fresh air. None of that holds for me, so it wasn't. The javascript subset he comes up with seems rather clumsy, and verbose, and easy to get wrong -- not very compelling.

Also, I disliked the railroad diagrams. In most cases a short English description would have been easier to understand, or a BNF would have been easier to read and equally precise. Many of the diagrams seemed gratuitous. They may read better on paper than on a screen. I read it in epub format, which also suffered from an unclosed italics tag messing up a chapter.

The parts I did like: The evidence of a keen mind on the other end of the book, and occasional flashes of insight. The clearest descripton of the "this" scoping mess that I've seen. Good descriptions of many of the stupid gotchas in the language, including the craziness that are javascript arrays.

If it had been called "Javascript: The Bad Parts (and a not very compelling attempt to work around them)" I'd probably feel like I got my money's worth. ( )
  joeyreads | Apr 3, 2013 |
For the Lads: Clement, Philbert, Seymore, Stern, and, lest we forget, C. Twildo.
When I was a young journeyman programmer, I would learn about every feature of the languages I was using, and I would attempt to use all of those features when I wrote.

Most programming languages contain good and bad parts, but JavaScript has more than its share of the bad, having been developed and released in a hurry before it could be refined. This authoritative book scrapes away these bad features to reveal a subset of JavaScript that's more reliable, readable, and maintainable than the language as a whole-a subset you can use to create truly extensible and efficient code.

Considered the JavaScript expert by many people in the development community, author Douglas Crockford identifies the abundance of good ideas that make JavaScript an outstanding object-oriented programming language-ideas such as functions, loose typing, dynamic objects, and an expressive object literal notation. Unfortunately, these good ideas are mixed in with bad and downright awful ideas, like a programming model based on global variables.

When Java applets failed, JavaScript became the language of the Web by default, making its popularity almost completely independent of its qualities as a programming language. In JavaScript: The Good Parts, Crockford finally digs through the steaming pile of good intentions and blunders to give you a detailed look at all the genuinely elegant parts of JavaScript, including:

Syntax Objects Functions Inheritance Arrays Regular expressions Methods Style Beautiful features

The real beauty? As you move ahead with the subset of JavaScript that this book presents, you'll also sidestep the need to unlearn all the bad parts. Of course, if you want to find out more about the bad parts and how to use them badly, simply consult any other JavaScript book.

With JavaScript: The Good Parts, you'll discover a beautiful, elegant, lightweight and highly expressive language that lets you create effective code, whether you're managing object libraries or just trying to get Ajax to run fast. If you develop sites or applications for the Web, this book is an absolute must.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:18 -0400)

Most programming languages contain good and bad parts, but JavaScript has more than its share of the bad, having been developed and released in a hurry before it could be refined. This authoritative book offers a detailed explanation of the features that make JavaScript an outstanding object-oriented programming language, and warns you about the bad parts. In the process, JavaScript: The Good Parts defines a subset of JavaScript that's more reliable, readable, and maintainable than the language as a whole. Author Douglas Crockford, a member of JavaScript 2.0 committee at ECMA, is considered by many people in the development community to be the JavaScript expert.… (more)

O'Reilly Media

An edition of this book was published by O'Reilly Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,931,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible