Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

JavaScript: The Good Parts by Douglas…

JavaScript: The Good Parts (edition 2008)

by Douglas Crockford

Most programming languages contain good and bad parts, but JavaScript has more than its share of the bad, having been developed and released in a hurry before it could be refined. This authoritative book scrapes away these bad features to reveal a subset of JavaScript that's more reliable, readable, and maintainable than the language as a whole--a subset you can use to create truly extensible and efficient code. Considered the JavaScript expert by many people in the development community, author Douglas Crockford identifies the abundance of good ideas that make JavaScript an outstanding object-oriented programming language-ideas such as functions, loose typing, dynamic objects, and an expressive object literal notation. Unfortunately, these good ideas are mixed in with bad and downright awful ideas, like a programming model based on global variables. When Java applets failed, JavaScript became the language of the Web by default, making its popularity almost completely independent of its qualities as a programming language. In JavaScript: The Good Parts, Crockford finally digs through the steaming pile of good intentions and blunders to give you a detailed look at all the genuinely elegant parts of JavaScript, including: Syntax Objects Functions Inheritance Arrays Regular expressions Methods Style Beautiful features The real beauty? As you move ahead with the subset of JavaScript that this book presents, you'll also sidestep the need to unlearn all the bad parts. Of course, if you want to find out more about the bad parts and how to use them badly, simply consult any other JavaScript book. With JavaScript: The Good Parts, you'll discover a beautiful, elegant, lightweight and highly expressive language that lets you create effective code, whether you're managing object libraries or just trying to get Ajax to run fast. If you develop sites or applications for the Web, this book is an absolute must.… (more)
Member:sptz45
Title:JavaScript: The Good Parts
Authors:Douglas Crockford
Info:O'Reilly Media, Inc. (2008), Edition: illustrated edition, Paperback, 170 pages

JavaScript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford

A must read for any programmer using JavaScript. ( )
  jzacsh | Sep 9, 2020 |
I'd been meaning to read this for years and finally picked up a copy in late 2019, 11 years after it came out. I'd picked up some JavaScript here and there and have been using JSON since it exploded in popularity. Earlier this year I worked through a book on D3, so I had a decent amount of exposure, but there were still some quirks I didn't have my head around.

This very readable book really clarified things, especially about prototypal inheritance and the unfortunate non-block scoping rules. The "good parts" can be summed up as the "functional parts." There are some great code examples of how to use closures and how to build programs using function expressions. I'm a little leery of some of his suggestions, e.g., in Chapter 4 where Function is augmented to obviate the need to type .prototype, if only because I don't know enough about common practice if this advice is generally followed. ( )
  encephalical | Dec 18, 2019 |
Shoulda read this a long time ago. ( )
  simonspacecadet | Jul 29, 2018 |
This book is a pleasantly succinct tour of only the most powerful aspects of JavaScript. For anyone coming from another programming language and perplexed by JavaScript (as I was), this book will definitely help you to understand the logic of its strange design. Everything in JavaScript (be it a string, array, number, etc.) is actually an object, and every object is built from an object prototype. Most amazing is the fact that you can actually augment these prototypes with your own customized methods, methods which are then inherited by any objects built from the prototypes. In a nutshell, you can change the way the language behaves at a rudimentary level to suite your style and needs. "JavaScript: The Good Parts" teaches you how to do this and many other things, as well as warns against which parts of the language to avoid. One of the best aspects of the book is its terseness, which will allow you to read it from start to finish in a month or two and immediately begin putting all of its excellent insights to good use. For anyone with programming experience wanting to get a handle on JavaScript I highly recommend this book.

If you are brand new to programming and are attempting to learn JavaScript as your first language, I would recommend these two books [Learning JavaScript and The Object-Oriented Thought Process] (or any books along those lines) prior to reading "JavaScript: The Good Parts", since without a preliminary grasp of JavaScript syntax and object-oriented programming you may find "JavaScript: The Good Parts" to be highly abstruse. ( )
1 vote cliffhays | Dec 27, 2013 |
Very concise and on-point description of the core Javascript language. At times I found it a bit too terse though and had to use the Internet for help. ( )
  Tobias.Bruell | Oct 3, 2013 |
For the Lads: Clement, Philbert, Seymore, Stern, and, lest we forget, C. Twildo.
When I was a young journeyman programmer, I would learn about every feature of the languages I was using, and I would attempt to use all of those features when I wrote.

O'Reilly Media

An edition of this book was published by O'Reilly Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,515,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible