Beauty and the Beast (Forgotten Books) by…

Beauty and the Beast (Forgotten Books) (original 1757; edition 2008)

by Jeanne Marie Le Prince de Beaumont

4512023,135 (3.94)9
Member:judyg54
Title:Beauty and the Beast (Forgotten Books)
Authors:Jeanne Marie Le Prince de Beaumont
Info:Forgotten Books (2008), Paperback, 28 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle book

Beauty and the Beast by Jeanne-Marie Le Prince de Beaumont (1757)

Killer Angel by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: This story has a tragic love tale. Also, loyalty to friends. I think you'll like it.
    Not Safe for Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: This is a vampire story, but there is a romance within the story between two scientists who work together. I don't want to give the story away, but I believe you will enjoy this one.

This book is about a young girl, Belle, and an odd relationship that she develops with a beast that she encounters on her quest to rescue her father, from the beast. As she is kept as a prisoner of the beast, in place of her father, the two begin to fall in love, but know they could never be together. Eventually, as the beast is almost put to death, the two express their love for one another, turning the beast back into a man, once again. This book would be great to use in a classroom when discussing how we should treat people, even when they are different from us, the same way that we want to be treated. This book also expresses the point of accepting someone just the way they are, no matter their physical appearance. ( )
  Taylor20 | Apr 3, 2017 |
This is a French style fairy tale. I did not really enjoy this version of Beauty and the Beast. Maybe it is because I am a huge Beauty and the Beast fan and it didn't meet my standards. I did not find the characters the same as the classic Beauty and the Beast book. The only thing that I liked about the story was the little illustration that it did have. I would have to stick with the original classic Beauty and the Beast because in my opinion no one can beat it and it is the best. ( )
  CKISSINGER | Mar 17, 2017 |
Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale. I have only ever seen the Disney movie version of this story so reading this book was very interesting to see comparisons or differences of the two. If I were to read this to students I would have them think about the same things I did while reading this and their prior knowledge of this classic fairy tale. ( )
  kaitlyn_king | Nov 9, 2016 |
A classic French 18th century version (it's not the original) of the fairy tale. Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourites ever since I saw the Disney movie as a child. Classic versions and reworking alike are stories I want to read. This has to be one of the better versions I've read, which goes into more detail than most. I loved the sisters' punishment!

Favourite Quotes

The definition of a monster
"Yes, yes, (said the Beast,) my heart is good, but still I am a monster."
"Among mankind, (says Beauty,) there are many that deserve that name more than you, and I prefer you, just as you are, to those, who, under a human form, hide a treacherous, corrupt, and ungrateful heart."

On the kindness of sisters
"In what is this little creature better than us, that she should be so much happier?"
"Sister, (said the eldest,) a thought has just strikes my mind; let us endeavour to detain her above a week, and perhaps the silly monster will be so enraged at her for breaking her word, that he will devour her."
"Right, sister, (answered the other,) therefore we must show her as much kindness as possible."

On the qualities of a perfect husband
"Why did I refuse him? I should be happier with the monster than my sisters are with their husbands; it is neither wit nor a fine person in a husband, that makes a woman happy; but virtue, sweetness of temper, and complaisance, and Beast has all these valuable qualifications. It is true, I do no feel the tenderness of affection for him, but I find I have the highest gratitude, esteem, and friendship; and I will not make him miserable; were I to be so ungrateful, I should never forgive myself."

You get what you deserve
"Beauty. (said this lady,) come and receive the reward of your judicious choice; you have preferred virtue over wit or beauty, and deserve to find a person in whom all these qualifications are united: you are going to be a great Queen; I hope the throne will not lessen your virtue, or make you forget yourself."

Is it possible to change a leopard's spots?
"Pride, anger, gluttony, and idleness, are sometimes conquered, but the conversion of a malicious and envious mind is a kind of miracle." ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |

Howard, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maňásek, LuděkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muir, P.H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was once a very rich merchant, who had six children, three sons, and three daughters; being a man of sense, he spared no cost for their education, but gave them all kinds of masters.
Please do not combine any abridged/adapted versions into this entry. Thanks!

Jeanne Marie Le Prince de Beaumont was a French novelist born in 1711. After her first marriage was annulled she moved to London, becoming a governess. After a successful writing career she remarried had many children and lived in Savoy. Beaumont wrote several books on education. She was one of the first to write fairy tales for children. Mme Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve wrote a story titled Beauty and the Beast. Le Prince de Beaumont revised and abridged this story producing the story that has become one of the most famous children's tales in history. The tale tells the story of Beauty who meets a terrible looking beast. She learns to love the beast. The moral is that inner beauty is the true and most precious form of beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:27 -0400)

Through her great capacity to love, a kind and beautiful maid releases a handsome prince from the spell which has made him an ugly beast.

3 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,241,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible