SantaThing sign up ends in 6:48 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Beauty and the Beast (Forgotten Books) by…

Beauty and the Beast (Forgotten Books) (original 1757; edition 2008)

by Jeanne Marie Le Prince de Beaumont

4751921,755 (3.94)9
Member:judyg54
Title:Beauty and the Beast (Forgotten Books)
Authors:Jeanne Marie Le Prince de Beaumont
Info:Forgotten Books (2008), Paperback, 28 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle book

Beauty and the Beast by Jeanne-Marie Le Prince de Beaumont (1757)

Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale. I have only ever seen the Disney movie version of this story so reading this book was very interesting to see comparisons or differences of the two. If I were to read this to students I would have them think about the same things I did while reading this and their prior knowledge of this classic fairy tale. ( )
  kaitlyn_king | Nov 9, 2016 |
A classic French 18th century version (it's not the original) of the fairy tale. Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourites ever since I saw the Disney movie as a child. Classic versions and reworking alike are stories I want to read. This has to be one of the better versions I've read, which goes into more detail than most. I loved the sisters' punishment!

Favourite Quotes

The definition of a monster
"Yes, yes, (said the Beast,) my heart is good, but still I am a monster."
"Among mankind, (says Beauty,) there are many that deserve that name more than you, and I prefer you, just as you are, to those, who, under a human form, hide a treacherous, corrupt, and ungrateful heart."

On the kindness of sisters
"In what is this little creature better than us, that she should be so much happier?"
"Sister, (said the eldest,) a thought has just strikes my mind; let us endeavour to detain her above a week, and perhaps the silly monster will be so enraged at her for breaking her word, that he will devour her."
"Right, sister, (answered the other,) therefore we must show her as much kindness as possible."

On the qualities of a perfect husband
"Why did I refuse him? I should be happier with the monster than my sisters are with their husbands; it is neither wit nor a fine person in a husband, that makes a woman happy; but virtue, sweetness of temper, and complaisance, and Beast has all these valuable qualifications. It is true, I do no feel the tenderness of affection for him, but I find I have the highest gratitude, esteem, and friendship; and I will not make him miserable; were I to be so ungrateful, I should never forgive myself."

You get what you deserve
"Beauty. (said this lady,) come and receive the reward of your judicious choice; you have preferred virtue over wit or beauty, and deserve to find a person in whom all these qualifications are united: you are going to be a great Queen; I hope the throne will not lessen your virtue, or make you forget yourself."

Is it possible to change a leopard's spots?
"Pride, anger, gluttony, and idleness, are sometimes conquered, but the conversion of a malicious and envious mind is a kind of miracle." ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I love Beauty and the Beast, but I'd never actually read it, I'd only ever seen the Disney movie adaption. So I decided to read it this month, and I'm glad I did. It's such a quick read, but it was really good. I liked the story a lot.

For a full review please see my blog at http://www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
A quick read. The point seemed to be that good things happen to kind hard working young women especially if they seek out ugly dull men (or, at least, men not overcome with their own beauty and wit) with kind hearts, good temperments and being a little overdramatic about the actions of others. Threatening to kill, no, promising to kill a man for taking a rose, unless that man gave up a daughter to die in his place. Later starving himself because the woman he kind of likes is late returning by three days.

Written in another era, Beast would be seen as an overly dramatic overly emotional bully. Emo.

Beauty being overly selfless, intelligent, hard working young woman.

A match made in heaven, I'm sure. ( )
  Lexxi | Jan 19, 2014 |

Howard, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maňásek, LuděkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muir, P.H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was once a very rich merchant, who had six children, three sons, and three daughters; being a man of sense, he spared no cost for their education, but gave them all kinds of masters.
Please do not combine any abridged/adapted versions into this entry. Thanks!

Jeanne Marie Le Prince de Beaumont was a French novelist born in 1711. After her first marriage was annulled she moved to London, becoming a governess. After a successful writing career she remarried had many children and lived in Savoy. Beaumont wrote several books on education. She was one of the first to write fairy tales for children. Mme Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve wrote a story titled Beauty and the Beast. Le Prince de Beaumont revised and abridged this story producing the story that has become one of the most famous children's tales in history. The tale tells the story of Beauty who meets a terrible looking beast. She learns to love the beast. The moral is that inner beauty is the true and most precious form of beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:27 -0400)

Through her great capacity to love, a kind and beautiful maid releases a handsome prince from the spell which has made him an ugly beast.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,644,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible