The Laughter of Dead Kings by Elizabeth…

The Laughter of Dead Kings (2008)

by Elizabeth Peters

Series: Vicky Bliss (6)

Today is a sad day Im so bummed this was the last book in the series! Im going to miss John & Vicky & Schmidt! I felt like I knew them so well & If i didnt know better, the stories were real & they are too. Lol going to try the other Peters series & hope it compares to this one! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
King Tut,Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
It's good to be back among my old friends Vicky, John and the ever adorable Schmidt (who is particularly awesome in this book). If you are looking for a mystery series that is just plain fun, do give Peters' Vicky Bliss series a go. ( )
  Cailiosa | Apr 5, 2013 |
June's reading group book. Not sure I'll bother again. Mildly entertaining - a museum type (it's never made exactly clear what she does) gets embroiled in the stealing of King Tut's mummy. Yup, it's that outlandish. She sort of solves it, assisted by an antiques dealer who used to the an antiques thief, and who is suspected of having done the deed... Mildly diverting, but it all ends far too neatly, and the loose ends get shoved under the carpet. ( )
  Helenliz | Apr 1, 2013 |
I loved the earlier Vicky Bliss novels a lot. This one I liked, although mostly because I was happy to see all the characters again. Like a slightly dull weekend with some very dear friends. There was one chapter that had me laughing out loud, but for most of the way this just didn't sparkle for me the way the earlier ones did. Another reader said all the elements are there but somehow they don't quite work, and I have to agree. Its good, but at its best the Bliss series had the effervescence and brightness of classic romantic comedies. This one doesn't. Quite.

Still worth reading though, especially if you're fond of Schmidt and Vicky and John. ( )
  bunwat | Mar 30, 2013 |

Elizabeth Petersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Roxie Walker
My singing doesn't inspire thousands of fans to emit screams of delight, but I was a trifle hurt when my dog jumped up with a howl and streaked for the stairs.
"I shall begin at the beginning," he announced, fondling his glass of scotch, "and continue until I reach the end. Kindly do not interrupt with questions. An occasional inquiring look will indicate you require elaboration of a particular point." (chapter 13, p.276)

For the first time in more than a decade, New York Times bestselling Grand Master Elizabeth Peters brings beautiful, brainy Vicky Bliss back into the spotlight for one last investigation. But this time the peerless art historian and sleuth will be detecting in Amelia Peabody territory, searching for solutions to more than one heinous offense in the ever-shifting sands of Egypt's mysterious Valley of the Kings.

Who stole one of Egypt's most priceless treasures? That is the question that haunts the authorities after a distinguished British gentleman with an upper-crust accent cons his way past a security guard and escapes into the desert carrying a world-famous, one-of-a-kind historic relic. But the Egyptian authorities and Interpol believe they know the identity of the culprit. The brazen crime bears all the earmarks of the work of one “Sir John Smythe,” the suave and dangerously charming international art thief who is, in fact, John Tregarth, the longtime significant other of Vicky Bliss. But John swears he is retired—not to mention innocent—and he vows to clear his name by hunting down the true criminal.

Vicky's faith in her man's integrity leaves her no choice but to take a hiatus from her position at a leading Munich museum and set out for the Middle East. Vicky's employer, the eminent Herr Doktor Anton Z. Schmidt, rotund gourmand and insatiable adventurer, decides to join the entourage.

But dark days and myriad dangers await them in this land of intriguing antiquity. Each uncovered clue seems to raise even more questions for the intrepid Vicky—the most troubling being, Where is John going during his increasingly frequent and unexplained absences? And the stakes are elevated considerably when a ransom note arrives accompanied by a grisly memento intended to speed up negotiations—because now it appears that murder most foul has been added to the equation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:31 -0400)

Vicky Bliss, peerless art historian and sleuth, searches for solutions to more than one heinous offense in the ever-shifting sands of Egypt's mysterious Valley of the Kings. When her longtime significant other, John Tregarth, the suave and dangerously charming international art thief, is accused of taking a world-famous, one-of-a-kind historic relic, it is up to Bliss to clear his name.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,489,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible