The Book of Tempeh by William Shurtleff

The Book of Tempeh (1979)

by William Shurtleff

563210,933 (4)None

I'm not really interested in making tempeh; I'm interested in making things with tempeh. This book has both and is very well-researched. Can't say as I've tried any of the recipes yet, but I recall they did look good. ( )
  carrieprice78 | Jul 14, 2010 |
I love Shurtleff's books. Eventually I'll pick up the Book of Miso when I'm ready to try my hand at that too. This book is full of great information about tempeh - cooking it, making it, how it will solve world hunger (they were more optimistic about that back in the 70s I guess)...

The Book of Tempeh helped me successfully make my first batch of tempeh. It's a pretty serious undertaking and it helped to have very detailed, illustrated, step-by-step instructions. It was also nice to know what a good finished tempeh looks like, and how to determine if you screwed up and it went bad.

I look forward to trying out some of the recipes in here. I can't say I've ever tried any Indonesian recipes before, and as I'm a huge fan of coconut and chiles, it should be right up my alley.

Recommended for anybody who loves tempeh, and any enterprising cooking enthusiast who'd like to try making their own fermented soybeans (or rice, or okara, or barley...). ( )
1 vote lemontwist | Jul 14, 2010 |
Recommended ( )
  lilinah | Sep 21, 2005 |
Within this lifetime, to awaken to our true nature, original enlightenment,
and perfect oneness with all beings, things, and events
To manifest this realization in our daily life as love
To vow and endeavor with our whole body and mind
to help all beings cross over to the other shore of liberation before doing so ourselves
- The Bodhisattva's Vow
He will never go to heaven
who is content to go alone.
- Boethius, A.D. 450
Tempeh (pronounced TEM-pay) is a popular Indonesian fermented (cultured) food consisting of tender-cooked soybeans (or occasionally other legumes, seeds, cereal grains, or even coconut) bound together by a dense cottony mycelium of Rhizopus mold into compact, 3/4-inch-thick white cakes or patties.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006090710X, Paperback)

Tempeh is one of Indonesia'¬?s most extraordinary gifts to the world. A cultured soyfood, it tastes like Southern fried chicken and is the best vegetarian source of vitamin B-12. More importantly, tempeh is a delicious, natural source of high-quality, cholesterol-free protein, making it an excellent aid to reducing cholesterol as well as a light, tasty treat. Beautifully illustrated and immensely informative, THE BOOK OF TEMPEH showcases this hearty, versatile ingredient in delectable recipes such as Tempeh Guacamole, Spicy Curried Tempeh, Tempeh Jambalaya, and Tempeh Burger with Coriander and Garlic Crisp Tempeh. Whether you'¬?re a veteran vegetarian eager for a new source of essential protein and vitamins, just looking for ways to lead a healthier life, or simply interested in adding some variety to your menus, this book is sure to please.‚Ä¢ More than 130 tempting Western-style and traditional Indonesian recipes-most of which are cholesterol-free.‚Ä¢ Easy-to-follow instructions for making tempeh at home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:45 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,313,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible