A Kiss Before the Apocalypse by Thomas E.…

A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (2008)

by Thomas E. Sniegoski

The Naming of the Beasts by Mike Carey (mamaove)
    mamaove: Urban Fantasy genre
    Dog Days by John Levitt (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: While quite different in tone, both of these books feature supernatural male characters with a dog in a strong supporting role.

This is the first book that I've officially read by this author, but it isn't my first encounter either. I remember my attention being caught when reading Mean Streets. I remember now why I started looking because of the dog character Marlowe. He is a natural dog, not altered, no enhancements. Pretty funny dialogue between him and the main character.
Another thing that caught my attention was the excellent writing structure, the attention to detail, and the most likely amount of biblical research done to give us this plot.
I usually don't like to read anything of the like, just imagine my surprise.
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Remy is a private detective, making his bread and butter following cheating spouses and similar petty investigations. One such investigation leads him to a pair who commit suicide, driven to the edge by the apocalyptic dreams the man is plagued by. They commit suicide but, miraculously, they don’t die.

Except it’s not miracle – and Remy should know, because he is an Archangel. Disillusioned with heaven, he hasn’t so much Fallen as withdrawn from Heaven, turning his back on a paradise he no longer wishes anything to do with.

He has little choice when the pattern continues and people stop dying. Their souls screaming for release, they’re trapped in their bodies. Israfil, the Angel of Death, has gone missing and his job is undone. And if that weren’t bad enough, Israfil is the guardian of 5 scrolls that begin the apocalypse – should their seals be broken.

Remy has to find Israfil and his scrolls in an investigation that takes him through the dregs that
Heaven and Hell both don’t touch; Fallen Angels, Shunned Angels, Banished Angels and disgruntled immortals.

On a personal note, Remy’s own family is falling apart. His wife of several decades is old and dying slowly from cancer. Of course, she can’t die until Israfil is found – but is Remy really ready to let her go?

The author has clearly done a lot of research. There is an enormous amount of angelic lore here, from angel names to the different choirs – there’s a vast amount of work gone into this and it’s really wonderful to see. It shows in the story – the world building is truly excellent and you can feel the mythology behind it. I really can’t stress enough how well done this world is and how real it feels.

Similarly, Remy is a very good character. He has strong connections to his family with really well represented emotional bonds – even with Marlowe (a talking dog that is really well done as well – you can believe this is a dog. It’s not funny or witty but exactly how you’d expect a dog to think and talk). His reasons for Falling are reasonable, his friendships true and his actions make sense and really fit with who and what he is. Like the world, he feels very real and very well put together.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
This is a great series woot woot!!! Remi helps Hades to his full being of restoring the ways before the Apocalypse happens. Remi is visiting the grave of his lover and sees beautiful flowers that death has put for he knew about them and their love. I am awed every minute of the plot and the action. ( )
  tanya.pappas | Aug 12, 2013 |
I thought I'd enjoy this more with the Raymond Chandler tie-in, but I didn't. It wasn't gritty or realistic at all. The fight scenes weren't very good, either. The Christian myth basis of the novel wasn't terribly compelling. It kept supposing some kind of internal logic that I find lacking. The constraints were too artificial & uneven, a common failing to most religious myths.

The dog was cute & the dialogue wasn't bad. The basic plot/mystery was OK, although it hinges on that logic that I didn't care for. I'm not sure if a Christian would like or dislike this since it anthropomorphizes angels.

I have the second book, which I mistakenly got first. Realizing my error, I got this on. I will probably read it, but I'm not in a rush. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Jun 19, 2013 |
Strange; but compelling. Would read more. ( )
  lesmel | May 23, 2013 |
Tightly focused and deftly handled, this adult debut from YA and comic book author Sniegoski (The Fallen) covers familiar ground in entertaining new ways. The angel Remiel wanders the Earth in human form as private investigator Remy Chandler, experiencing the mortal life while indulging his fondness for the trappings of noir. When the Angel of Death vanishes, Heaven hires Chandler to find him as well as a missing set of scrolls that could bring about the apocalypse. Sniegoski's choice to frame this high concept with a straight noir detective tale grounds the world for the reader and highlights the mystical elements. Chandler's dog, Marlowe, written with a humorous but heartfelt voice, shows off Chandler's ability to talk to animals and provides some charming comic relief. Fans of urban fantasy and classic detective stories will enjoy this smart and playful story.
added by cmwilson101 | editPublisher's Weekly

For LeeAnne
It was an unusually warm mid-September day in Boston.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451462599, Mass Market Paperback)

Boston PI Remy Chandler is no ordinary man. He’s an angel who chose to renounce heaven and live on earth. So he’s perfect for the job of finding the Angel of Death, who has gone missing. But what at first seems to be about tracing a missing person turns out to involve much more—a conspiracy that has as its goal the destruction of the human race. And only Remy Chandler can stop it...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:51 -0400)

Generations ago, angel Remiel chose to renounce heaven and live on Earth. He found a place among ordinary humans by converting himself into Boston P.I. Remy Chandler, but he can never tell anyone who he was or that he still has angelic powers. Remy can will himself invisible, speak and understand any foreign language (including any animal language), and hear the thoughts of others. All these secret powers come in handy for a private investigator, especially when the Angel of Death goes missing and he?s assigned to find him. As he gets deeper into the investigation, he realizes this is not a missing persons case but a conspiracy to destroy the human race and only Remy has the powers to stop the forces of evil.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,238,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible