Nation by Terry Pratchett

Nation (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Terry Pratchett

3,4212041,579 (4.11)226
Member:brightcopy
Title:Nation
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Doubleday UK (2008), Hardcover, 300 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:science fiction

Nation by Terry Pratchett (2008)

The Bromeliad Trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, and Wings by Terry Pratchett (fastfinge)
    fastfinge: This book is, perhaps, for a slightly younger readership. Never the less, it's still fun.
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (brianjungwi)
    The Johnny Maxwell Trilogy by Terry Pratchett (fastfinge)
    fastfinge: Another of Terry's young adult books; some thinking required of young readers.
    The Big Wave by Pearl S. Buck (infiniteletters)
    The Girl Who Owned A City by O. T. Nelson (fastfinge)
    fastfinge: More thoughts on nationhood, and what makes a nation, pitched at young readers.
    The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco (tronella)
    Gullstruck Island by Frances Hardinge (foggidawn)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (JonTheNiceGuy)

English (201)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (204)
This is unlike any other Pratchett book I've read. There's hardly any dialogue in the opening and the setting is unique amongst all his books. It often reminded me of Lord of the Flies. I found myself wondering if the gash through the island was caused by the plane crash.

It covers a lot of ground but centrally I suppose it's about faith and what happens when you lose it. The ending's tone is mismatched from the rest of the book, but don't let you put you off. This is a deep book and truly superb. It's almost as good as Mort! ( )
  Lukerik | May 15, 2015 |
This is a standalone, not Discworld book from Pratchett. A big theme here is organized religion and belief without questioning. It is a coming of age story as well, set in a parallel world to our own, similar in many ways. This may be considered YA, but adults will understand some of it better and may be uncomfortable with the issues it raises.

I quite enjoy Pratchett's writing and this was no different. He makes you think - even when you don't completely agree with him. ( )
  horomnizon | Apr 23, 2015 |
I loved this. Not Discworld. Probably aimed at YA, and I will recommend it to my 14 yo son. Thoughtful, dealing with religion & faith, puberty, family, racism, and culture. Leavened with just enough humor and excitement to make it engaging. ( )
1 vote Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
While it's definitely got its problematic bits, I did really enjoy this lovely distillation of Terry Pratchett's primary ethos ("be decent to each other, for crying out loud, it's all we've got") into a shipwreck adventure. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Apr 6, 2015 |
This is the story of survival after a tsunami hits an island. One native is left from the people living on the island and one girl is shipwrecked there. Others come and join them fleeing devastation on their islands.

How do you deal with catastrophe? How do you handle loss that is so big that there is no logic to it? There is a part of us that wants to rationalize the loss we see in the world. That person got cancer because they ate unhealthily for years or it was genetic and passed down. They failed to pay attention and caused a fatal car accident. But sometimes, bad things happen to good people and there is no logic. For those of us that believe in a higher being a natural question is, why? Why do bad things happen to good people? Personally I found more compelling address to this question in C.S. Lewis's book, The Problem with Pain. But the question remains a valid question and I am glad to see it asked in Pratchett's book. If you worship a higher being how strong is your god? Where is your god when bad things happen?

Overall, this was an enjoyable story. Pratchett's characters portray he wry humor he is well known for. The island has some mysteries and there are some interesting plot twists. While it was not my favorite Pratchett book I enjoyed reading it.
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
It's a complete departure for Pratchett and yet is recognizably him, on every page, writing with the same grace and wit we know from his other work. Highly recommended (and would make brilliant bedtime reading, too).
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 30, 2008)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brehnkmann, PederTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Couton, PatrickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duddle, JohnnyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaminski, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lyn
The snow came down so thickly, it formed fragile snowballs in the air that tumbled and melted as soon as they landed on the horses lined up along the dock.
Imo set out one day to catch some fish, but there was no sea.
It was like being in a Jane Austen novel, but one with far less clothing.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061433012, Roughcut)

The sea has taken everything.

Mau is the only one left after a giant wave sweeps his island village away. But when much is taken, something is returned, and somewhere in the jungle Daphne—a girl from the other side of the globe—is the sole survivor of a ship destroyed by the same wave.

Together the two confront the aftermath of catastrophe. Drawn by the smoke of Mau and Daphne's sheltering fire, other refugees slowly arrive: children without parents, mothers without babies, husbands without wives—all of them hungry and all of them frightened. As Mau and Daphne struggle to keep the small band safe and fed, they defy ancestral spirits, challenge death himself, and uncover a long-hidden secret that literally turns the world upside down. . . .

Internationally revered storyteller Terry Pratchett presents a breathtaking adventure of survival and discovery, and of the courage required to forge new beliefs.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:05 -0400)

After a devastating tsunami destroys all that they have ever known, Mau, an island boy, and Daphne, an aristocratic English girl, together with a small band of refugees, set about rebuilding their community and all the things that are important in their lives.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,178,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible