dismiss

The Eugenics Wars Vol I: The Rise and Fall…

The Eugenics Wars Vol I: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star… (edition 2002)

by Greg Cox

"The most critical period in Earth's history." -- Gary Seven, Supervisor 194Even centuries later, the final decades of the twentieth century are still regarded -- by those who know the truth of what really happened -- as one of the darkest and most perilous chapters in the history of humanity. Now, as an ancient and forbidden technology tempts mankind once more, Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise™ must probe deep into the secrets of the past, to discover the true origins of the dreaded Eugenics Wars -- and of perhaps the greatest foe he has ever faced.1974 A.D. An international consortium of the world's top scientists have conspired to create the Chrysalis Project, a top-secret experiment in human genetic engineering. The project's goal is nothing less than the creation of a new, artificially improved breed of men and women: smarter, faster, stronger than ordinary human beings, a super-race to take command of the entire planet.Gary Seven, an undercover operative for an advanced alien species, is alarmed by the project's objectives; he knows too well the apocalyptic consequences of genetic manipulation. With his trusted agents, Roberta Lincoln and the mysterious Isis, he will risk life and limb to uncover Chrysalis' insidious designs and neutralize the awesome threat that the Project poses to the future.But he may already be too late. One generation of super-humans has already been conceived. As the years go by, Seven watches with growing concern as the children of Chrysalis -- in particular, a brilliant youth named Khan Noonien Singh -- grow to adulthood. Can Khan's dark destiny be averted -- or is Earth doomed to fight a global battle for supremacy?THE EUGENICS WARS: Volume One is an engrossing and fast-paced thriller that explores the secret history of the twentieth century -- and the rise of the conqueror known as Khan.… (more)
Member:NeoWayland
Title:The Eugenics Wars Vol I: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek)
Authors:Greg Cox
Info:Star Trek (2002), Edition: New Ed, Mass Market Paperback
Rating:**
Tags:novel, science fiction, Star Trek

The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh, Volume One by Greg Cox

"It's all true!" Those words from Galaxy Quest fit for this stellar exercise in retconning!

I'd read this book when it came out, and recently got Kindle editions of the whole trilogy - it's a fun read. Carefully weaving 40 years of Trek - and REAL - history into a narrative that explains how we didn't notice the "Eugenics War" and the rise (and fall) of Khan. Oh, and there's a story woven through with Kirk, Spock, McCoy, et al facing a new planet of genetic supermen.

On to the next volume! ( )
  mrklingon | Dec 3, 2019 |
***This book was purchased for my own reading pleasure***

I purchased the paired non-canon Eugenics Wars books by Greg Cox many, many moons ago. Khan is one of the most enduring and well-known of Kirk’s many adversaries. I was quite pleased when a version of Khan made an appearance in the new reboot of Star Trek.

This is the first of two books focused on the rise and subsequent fall of Khan Noonien Singh, one of several genetically augmented humans created by Dr Sarina Kaur and her Chrysalis team. This group of cultish scientists followed Kaur’s belief that what the world needed was an evolutionary​ boost. Khan was Kaur’s son, and told from birth that he was superior to 'regular’ humans. Baby Khan was adorable and precocious. He was calm, and protective to an extent, especially with Isis.

Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln infiltrate Chrysalis and shut it down, ending the programme. This was 1974, and Khan was 4 years old. The first volume of this set follows Khan into the late 80s, seeing him grow to a young man. Gary and Roberta cross paths with Khan several times over the years. The question is- can these two agents coerce Khan to a more peaceful path? How different he might have been if raised outside of Chrysalis, if nurtured properly. There was evidence enough that he had plenty of empathy. He did care about humanity. Sarina had instilled in him a measure of steel that manifested as ruthlessness. Like Ozymandias and Ra's al Ghul, Khan wanted to protect and shepherd humanity, and felt the ends justified the means in achieving that goal.

I love this book. Rereading it after so many years brought with it a measure of nostalgia. Khan’s story is nested inside the story of the Enterprise's trip to the planet Sycorax, who wish to join the Federation. The only problem is that Sycorax is a colony of humans who practise genetic engineering, which is illegal within the Federation. To better prepare, Kirk spends the days approaching Sycorax reviewing the history of Khan, and Earth's Eugenics Wars. Rereading it also showed me my tastes had refined over the intervening years. Cox has a habit of 'head-jumping’, skipping character perspective in the same section, sometimes several times in a row. I can flow with it easily enough, but now know it is a less refined technique.

📚📚📚📚 Recommended for any Star Trek fan, and especially those who love the handsome canny Augment who shaped the path of the Federation, and became one of Kirk’s most fearsome adversaries. ( )
  PardaMustang | May 8, 2017 |
The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh is another terrific Star Trek novel by Greg Cox. It lays a foundation for the Eugenic Wars and provides a fascinating look at the childhood and teenage years of Khan Noonien Singh. Noon, as he was known as a child, was a genetically-enhanced child whose geneticist mother founded the Chrysalis Project (a cult of scientists working to improve the human race). However, Gary Seven and his assistants, Roberta Lincoln and the mysterious Isis, desperately attempt to prevent the apocalyptic consequences of genetic manipulation of the human race. Volume one of this trilogy describes the development of Khan into a young man of incredible physical and intellectual abilities. However, it also reveals his overwhelming ego and his ruthless desire to control society. Gary Seven struggles to guide Khan toward a more moderate role in society. However, Khan is a leader, not a follower, and his enhanced abilities make him extremely difficult to control. This is a very well-written, exciting and enjoyable science-fiction novel. I look forward to reading the next two volumes of this trilogy soon. ( )
  clark.hallman | Mar 8, 2014 |
The Eugenics Wars is my first Star Trek novel and I came away pleased with it. Cox does a fine job of elaborating upon what was only alluded to in "Space Seed" and "The Wrath of Khan." While it is not amazing by any means, as a historian of biology, I appreciated the focus of this science fiction novel on biology rather than physics. Because the story of the novel (there is a Kirk-based TOS frame) begins in the 1970s, Cox is able to tie-in the burgeoning field of molecular biology to explain how the Chrysalis Project genetically engineered the supermen (of which Khan is one). As far as I could tell, the use of the science, although incredibly simplistic, was reasonable and well-explained (unlike infamous Treknobabble). Unfortunately, biological science fiction disappears as it becomes historical science fiction in the 1980s (when Khan is a teenager).. But because the action is well-written with a quick pace along with some twists and turns (and some cheese), I continued reading. Furthermore, unlike George Lucas's portrayal of Anakin's turn to evil,* or Nolan's Harvey Dent -> Two-Face, though, the path of Cox's Khan is much more reasonable (with respect to Khan's POV); his change makes sense. Although the biology has been lost, I look forward to Volume 2, in which the actual Eugenics Wars is the focus.

Note: Because I have yet to see the relevant episode, I cannot comment upon Cox's essential tie-in with the Star Trek episode "Assignment: Earth," which features the human alien Gary Seven and his sidekick Roberta Lincoln, both of whom are the protagonists of this novel.

* The reason I mention Anakin is because this book came out in 2001, the same year as The Phantom Menace, and the interaction between Gary Seven and Khan is eerily similar to the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. ( )
  Kele.Cable | Jun 1, 2013 |
I don't usually read Star Trek fan fiction, but these books were fun. Following around Gary Seven through through the 70's 80's and 90's in an 'Avengers (British)' style action adventure SF series relating to the coolest Trek villain was a lot of fun. ( )
  ACGalaga | Jan 17, 2011 |
"We want no Caesars" Jawaharlal Nehru, first prime minister of India
For Cyn and Dave

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,842,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible