The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner (2003)

by Khaled Hosseini

Other authors: Mirka Andolfo (Illustrator), Fabio Celoni (Illustrator)

37,444100816 (4.21)1 / 666
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    Par les monts et les plaines d'Asie centrale by Anne Nivat (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Swetlana Alexijewitsch (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Swetlana Alexijewitsch (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    Kamtsjatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)

English (895)  Dutch (38)  Spanish (18)  Danish (12)  German (7)  French (6)  Italian (6)  Swedish (6)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Indonesian (1)  Croatian (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (1,004)
This book was definitely better than I expected. I had mainly heard taglines describing it as being about "The one event that changed both their lives forever..." but it wasn't about that at all. That was only a part of it. Really, this was about war, and also about the American immigrant experience. A very fascinating book. Overall, I think it was well-written. Downside: it felt very calculated, and every single thing of note came back in a more important role later in the book. It was too wrapped up in itself. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
A stunning first novel, with beautiful descriptions of Afghanistan before various conflicts broke out. It is a bittersweet tale of families, friendship, loyalyy and shame. I like the simplicity if Hosseini's language, but felt the story let him down somewhat. I was pleased to see there was no twee happy ending. ( )
  martensgirl | Sep 5, 2014 |
O caçador de pipas' conta a história de Amir, um afegão há muito imigrado para os Estados Unidos, que se vê obrigado a acertar as contas com o passado e retorna a seu país de origem. O ponto de partida do livro é a infância do protagonista, quando Cabul ainda não era a capital do país que foi invadido pela União Soviética, dominado pelos talibãs e subjugado pelos Estados Unidos. A história de Amir e Hassan, os personagens de 'O caçador de pipas', já conquistou o mundo. Publicado em 32 países, o romance é um best-seller internacional. 'O caçador de pipas' ganha, aqui no Brasil, uma edição especial, com capa dura, fotos do Afeganistão, especialmente feitas para o projeto dessa edição, e uma carta inédita do autor, Khaled Hosseini, comentando sobre a experiência de ser um escritor afegão estreante nos Estados Unidos depois do 11 de Setembro e sobre como ainda fica surpreso com a repercussão do livro pelas cartas que recebe de leitores de todo o mundo.
  melissa.gamador | Sep 4, 2014 |
I'm struggling to decide whether I liked the book, loved it or hated it with every single inch of my saddened heart. Seriously, it's been a very, very long time since a book touched me so deeply and made me shed so many tears. This book is all about the importance of family bonds, friendship, loyalty, everything written in a fluid, simple, easy language and yet Hosseini managed to turn this book into something deep, imbued with just too much meaning with so few words, it's not even funny.
I was unfortunate enough to get a couple of spoilers for the book (friendly advice: if you're in the middle of the book, it is NOT a good idea to check for the trailer of the movie's adaptation, as it contains mild spoilers), so nothing struck me as absolutely unexpected, yet the book still kept me trapped to its fascinating world until the very last page.
One of the best thing about this book is how it talked about the character's life in the US without patronizing the country, always making sure that Amir was a coherent character, with a heart deeply rooted in the values and traditions of his home country. It was also interesting to finally see a story by the point of view of someone most uninformed people consider a "terrorist".
I just can't seem to find words enough to express how this book change the way I saw Afghanistan, its people, its culture. I loved every single page of The Kite Runner and feel like it's going to leave an empty space in my heart... ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
A very brutal heart wrenching book that is at times very hard to read but worth persevering with for the experience. Not for the faint hearted, at no time did I find it happy or uplifting in any way. Just an intense story. ( )
  areadingmachine | Aug 19, 2014 |
The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

Khaled Hosseiniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andolfo, MirkaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Celoni, FabioIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fort, Isabel MurilloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
For you, a thousand times over.
I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great.

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0747566534, Paperback)

In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.

The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:43 -0400)

An epic tale of fathers and sons, of friendship and betrayal, that takes us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the atrocities of the present. The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption, and it is also about the power of fathers over sons-their love, their sacrifices, their lies.… (more)

Eight editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,649,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible