The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner (2003)

by Khaled Hosseini

Other authors: Mirka Andolfo (Illustrator), Fabio Celoni (Illustrator)

38,040102116 (4.21)1 / 679
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    Par les monts et les plaines d'Asie centrale by Anne Nivat (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievitch (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Svetlana Alexievitch (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)

English (907)  Dutch (38)  Spanish (18)  Danish (12)  German (7)  French (6)  Italian (6)  Swedish (6)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Indonesian (1)  Croatian (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (1,016)
Amir and Hassan have been close companions since birth in pre soviet Afghanistan. But Amir is from the ruling caste of Pashums and Hassan is from the impoverished servant class Hazara. Their peaceful world is shattered amidst the dying years of the Afghan monarchy in the 1970s and the rise of the Taliban. Amir abandons the loyal Hassan when he needs him the most. After many years of living with his guilt in America he finally seeks redemption when he learns that Hassan was actually his half-brother and makes the journey back to war torn Afghanistan.

I had absolutely no empathy for the self-absorbed main protagonist until more than halfway through the book and felt that the second half of the book was better than the first half. It's a powerful story and I shed tears for little Sohrab and the fate of Afghanistan. ( )
  boppisces | Feb 28, 2015 |
This book was a dichotomy. I simultaneously found it enlightening & trite, engrossing but unevenly paced, enlightening & bewildering. It was so hard to care about the protagonist. I was mostly hooked because I cared about the backround-the culture, the setting, the history. So I liked it but am not sure I could recommend it. ( )
  NetteinNJ | Jan 24, 2015 |
The Very very best book of my reading in 2014. Excellent!!! ( )
  leehua | Jan 10, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

I liked reading The Kite Runner. It's about a world I didn't know much about earlier. When I read this, I found out all kinds of new things, which made me understand some things I heard better. I liked the story line. First it's all peaceful but in the end your are reading a thriller. Definitely! I would recommend this book to anyone. It's one of those books you should have read! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Just an outstanding book - thoroughly enjoyed it ( )
  JRandolphT | Dec 28, 2014 |
The Kite Runner begins in Afghanistan with a boy named Amir and his father living happy but after the threat of Soviet forces they flee to America then soon after in the book, Amir's father dies. Later on in the story Amir is wedded to his wife but then he is called upon by his fathers old friend to return to Afghanistan and then later on he ends up saving a boy, the son of a child hood friend, named Sohrab and that gives Amir his redemption
added by CRosss | editLos Angeles Times, Cameron.Ross (Sep 10, 2014)

The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

Khaled Hosseiniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andolfo, MirkaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Celoni, FabioIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fort, Isabel MurilloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
For you, a thousand times over.
I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great.

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0747566534, Paperback)

In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.

The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:43 -0400)

An epic tale of fathers and sons, of friendship and betrayal, that takes us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the atrocities of the present. The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption, and it is also about the power of fathers over sons-their love, their sacrifices, their lies.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,722,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible