The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Khaled Hosseini

37,248100416 (4.21)1 / 663
Member:crimson-tide
Title:The Kite Runner
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2004), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Rings & Rays, Read & released (inactive)
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, R05, bookring, afganistan

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (2003)

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    Par les monts et les plaines d'Asie centrale by Anne Nivat (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Swetlana Alexijewitsch (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Swetlana Alexijewitsch (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    Kamtsjatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)

English (889)  Dutch (38)  Spanish (18)  Danish (12)  German (7)  French (6)  Italian (6)  Swedish (6)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Indonesian (1)  Croatian (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (998)
Shortly after starting The Kite Runner I mentioned to someone that I had just started reading it. "Ah, I loved the first part of that book.", she said. I replied with "Oh? You didn't like the rest?" and got the answer: "Oh, I did. It's a good book."
It seemed like a strange thing to say at the time. Having now read the book myself, I think I know exactly what she meant.
The Kite Runner is a really good book for many reasons. It has some really beautiful moments, some really uncomfortable moments, and some moments that are just downright gut-punching. The raw and seemingly effortless way in which it conveys happiness, but also sadness, guilt, hopelessness, anger, and pain makes it a really special book.
At the root of it all is the story of a boy from Afghanistan, and the story of his life as he transitions from childhood to adulthood. With that comes a window into a culture, a way of living, and often a way of thinking that is foreign to me. Much of this is extremely interesting, but more importantly it also feels very real, and adds an extra layer to the story itself.
This book has so much going for it, and it is therefore a bit of a pity that I loved only the first part of it. Because, again, there are so many great things in this book. There are quite a few gear-changes in the story, which isn't a problem in itself, but during one of them I think the book loses some of its emotional intensity, and never quite manages to get it back. It goes from being an engrossing emotional story to being a story with plenty of engrossing emotional moments. While the latter is still good it's just not quite the same.
The Kite Runner is a really well done, solid, good, worthwhile read, and I'd recommend it to anyone. I just think it could have been a little bit more. ( )
  clq | Jul 29, 2014 |
Maybe it's because I'm getting older and seeing how much of a mess life can be, but I don't usually appreciate books where everything neatly fits together. This is one of those books, but it seems destined to be so, and proves a point by doing it. The descriptions of memories are beautiful, and the child's remorse so sympathetic, that the perpetual references to the one seminal event in the child's life is not as tiring as it could have been. Really good story, didn't want to put it down. Hopeful. ( )
  margaret.pinard | Jul 24, 2014 |
Kui ma olin punaseks nutetud silmadega ja tühja pilguga seina umbes viis minutit põrnitsenud, ütlesid kaks toas viibinud inimest mulle korraga, täpselt ühel ajal- ära loe enam seda raamatut.
Aga ma võtsin uue paki taskurätikuid ja lugesin ikkagi edasi. Ma pole ammu midagi nii head lugenud.

Kui me joonistame väga täpselt üles mõne kena päikeseloojangu, siis saame üsna kindlasti kriitikutelt sarjata. Suure tõenäosusega pole kompositsioon paigas ning kindlasti oleks see elutruu pilt ka liiga magus. Kui me elus kiigume või peegli lõhume, siis üldjuhul teeme me seda lihtsalt. Et meeldib või juhtus nii. Kui see aga sellisena raamatusse kirja panna, siis muutub see klišeeks. Kas pole veider?
Mina, selle raamatu toimetajana, oleksin päris karmilt mitu tegevusliini ära kärpinud. Samuti poleks vaja olnud hollywoodlikke "saatusepöördeid". Aga kas saab kirjanik parata, kui elu ise mängib sulle need piltlikud kujundid ja tasapinnad ning sümbolid kätte? Külm puhas valge lumi ja suured värvilised lohed sinise taeva, vabaduse, poole püüdlemas. On see kirjaniku tarkus need hetked elust üles noppida või mugavus ja mõttelaiskus?

Loe edasi
http://indigoaalane.blogspot.com/2011/01/khosseini-lohejooksja.html ( )
  Indigoaalane | Jul 18, 2014 |
Hmmm...I definitely went through stages with the book. For the first 100 pages, I truly hated the main character, Amir. He managed to save his name a bit toward the end. It was OK. I wouldn't read it again...but I might be interested in the movie that just came out. Not sure about reading the sequel yet.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

Khaled Hosseiniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andolfo, MirkaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Celoni, FabioIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fort, Isabel MurilloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
For you, a thousand times over.
I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great.

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0747566534, Paperback)

In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.

The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:43 -0400)

An epic tale of fathers and sons, of friendship and betrayal, that takes us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the atrocities of the present. The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption, and it is also about the power of fathers over sons-their love, their sacrifices, their lies.… (more)

Eight editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,633,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible