The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Khaled Hosseini

38,162102216 (4.21)1 / 684
Member:crimson-tide
Title:The Kite Runner
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2004), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Rings & Rays, Read & released (inactive)
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, R05, bookring, afganistan

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (2003)

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    Par les monts et les plaines d'Asie centrale by Anne Nivat (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievitch (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Svetlana Alexievitch (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)

English (908)  Dutch (38)  Spanish (18)  Danish (12)  German (8)  Italian (6)  French (6)  Swedish (6)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Indonesian (1)  Croatian (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (1,018)
I have no words for this book. I wanted to give it 1-star for giving me so much heartbreak. It ended in an uncertain, happy note but still ever page is a heartbreak, every word a tear. It was a hard feat to read this book. Mr. Hosseini writes beautifully. He weaved a great story and created memorable, close to my heart characters. 5-stars for a riveting, life-changing book. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Apr 13, 2015 |
YALSA Alex 2004 Award. RGG: Fascinating insight into the culture of Afghanistan. Moving story about paternal love and friendship. Sexual Molestation.
  rgruberhighschool | Apr 9, 2015 |
totally engaging book with good writing that shows even better potential. some parts were a bit predictable but it didn't really interfere with my enjoyment of the book. i like reading about characters who struggle with the versions of themselves they've created, and this is a nice example of that. also the literal and metaphoric idea of the kite runner is a good one to anchor the book; that was well done. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Mar 29, 2015 |
This was an interesting book. There was something about it that drew me in. I ended up reading it all in one sitting. Well listening, but the same thing. I think it was a combination of the prose and the characters. Something. I can see why so many people liked the book. I enjoyed reading about the middle eastern culture, the little that was portrayed in this book. I think I do recommend this book. :) ( )
  Kassilem | Mar 15, 2015 |
To read--The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption; and an exploration of the power of fathers over sons—their love, their sacrifices, their lies.
Set in Afghanistan over the course of 30 years.
  cm37107 | Mar 5, 2015 |
The Kite Runner begins in Afghanistan with a boy named Amir and his father living happy but after the threat of Soviet forces they flee to America then soon after in the book, Amir's father dies. Later on in the story Amir is wedded to his wife but then he is called upon by his fathers old friend to return to Afghanistan and then later on he ends up saving a boy, the son of a child hood friend, named Sohrab and that gives Amir his redemption
added by CRosss | editLos Angeles Times, Cameron.Ross (Sep 10, 2014)

The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

Khaled Hosseiniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andolfo, MirkaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Celoni, FabioIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fort, Isabel MurilloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
For you, a thousand times over.
I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great.

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0747566534, Paperback)

In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.

The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:43 -0400)

An epic tale of fathers and sons, of friendship and betrayal, that takes us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the atrocities of the present. The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption, and it is also about the power of fathers over sons-their love, their sacrifices, their lies.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,717,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible