The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Khaled Hosseini

40,429109016 (4.2)1 / 807
Member:crimson-tide
Title:The Kite Runner
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2004), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Rings & Rays, Read & released (inactive)
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, R05, bookring, afghanistan

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (2003)

Recently added bysclint13, private library, MaryQOS, dawinsor, TDWolsey, JenGarland, amberwaide88, MaryMcConnell
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    A Long Way Home: A Memoir by Saroo Brierley (shesinplainview)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    Par les monts et les plaines d'Asie centrale by Anne Nivat (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)

English (975)  Dutch (37)  Spanish (20)  Danish (12)  German (9)  French (6)  Swedish (6)  Italian (5)  Norwegian (4)  All (3)  Lithuanian (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Croatian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Indonesian (1)  All (1,086)
This is one of those books I find myself struggling to write a coherent review for, because it packed such an emotional punch. Having just finished it, I'm still reeling from just how emotional a read it truly was.

I went into reading this knowing very little about the plot, just that this was a book so many people (including my parents) had raved about when it first was published. I'd heard it was a tough read, not because of particularly dense language or a hard-to-follow writing style, but because of the subject matter--and I think subconsciously this influenced me to keep putting off picking the book up off my to-be-read shelf.

I'm so glad I finally have read this book. It's haunting, and heartbreaking, and written so beautifully. I frequently find with books surrounding very difficult subjects, that I have to read them in pieces, and step away from them for breaks, but I could not put The Kite Runner down.

This is an important, and extremely well-written, read. The Kite Runner is about history, country, culture, family, friendship, honesty, and the choices we make every second of every day. It's a read that will make you think, and feel, and remember the power that a great book can truly have. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Dec 5, 2016 |
This was a well written book, though it certainly had some very troubling and disturbing parts. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
I first read this book in college, and recently re-read it. Back then, I was taking a literature and censorship class. We read a lot of books and stories that really touched me and affected me, and opened my eyes to a whole new world of literature. The book I remember the clearest is this one. The movie was coming out in the US in a few months, and I remember feeling so raw after reading the book that I knew I couldn't see the movie right away. It's a wonderfully written book, and I think I'm finally going to look into some of the other works by the same author. Even reading it again after all these years it still hits me hard. ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Nov 17, 2016 |
A book recommended to me by a friend. This was not the read I was expecting. I believe it has since been made into a film of the same name. I did get a surprise near the end of the book, but otherwise found it nothing more than a GOOD light read. Although I must confess, I listened to it as an audiobook, and with hind sight maybe I'd give an extra half star. ( )
  Fliss88 | Nov 13, 2016 |
Parts were interesting..... Well written. But felt a little forced sometimes. Side note - The Scene? Not that graphic.... ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
The Kite Runner begins in Afghanistan with a boy named Amir and his father living happy but after the threat of Soviet forces they flee to America then soon after in the book, Amir's father dies. Later on in the story Amir is wedded to his wife but then he is called upon by his fathers old friend to return to Afghanistan and then later on he ends up saving a boy, the son of a child hood friend, named Sohrab and that gives Amir his redemption
added by CRosss | editLos Angeles Times, Cameron.Ross (Sep 10, 2014)

The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

il était un enfant calme. le calme est synonyme de paix. de tranquillité. le calme, c'est lorsqu'on pousse la manette volume de la vie vers le bas.
il marchait comme s'il avait peur de laisser des traces de pas derrière lui. il se déplaçait comme s'il souhaitait ne pas créer le moindre mouvement d'air.
added by fati.mokhtari | editFZ

Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
For you, a thousand times over.
I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great.
"But better to get hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie".

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0747566534, Paperback)

In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.

The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:04 -0400)

An epic tale of fathers and sons, of friendship and betrayal, that takes us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the atrocities of the present. The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption, and it is also about the power of fathers over sons-their love, their sacrifices, their lies.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,784,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible