The kite runner by Khaled Hosseini

The kite runner (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Khaled Hosseini

40,232108316 (4.21)1 / 791
Member:countrylife
Title:The kite runner
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:New York : Riverhead Books, c2005.
Tags:Read, Read 2016, {cover-member, E.paper, from:own, P.Afghanistan, P.Middle East, T.1970s, T.1980s, ( FICTION, .historical fiction, boys, betrayal, coming of age, friendship, islam, kabul, kites, social class, redemption, taliban, sense of place

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (2003)

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    A Long Way Home: A Memoir by Saroo Brierley (shesinplainview)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Slumdog Millionaire [2008 film] by Danny Boyle (shesinplainview)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    Par les monts et les plaines d'Asie centrale by Anne Nivat (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)

English (969)  Dutch (37)  Spanish (20)  Danish (12)  German (9)  French (6)  Swedish (6)  Italian (5)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Croatian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Indonesian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (1,079)
Excellent
Afghanistan — wealth/lost
Guilty — do the right thing

Amir is the son of a wealthy Kabul merchant, a member of the ruling caste of Pashtuns. Hassan, his servant and constant companion, is a Hazara, a despised and impoverished caste. Their uncommon bond is torn by Amir's choice to abandon his friend amidst the increasing ethnic, religious, and political tensions of the dying years of the Afghan monarchy, wrenching them far apart. But so strong is the bond between the two boys that Amir journeys back to a distant world, to try to right past wrongs against the only true friend he ever had.

The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father’s servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption; and an exploration of the power of fathers over sons—their love, their sacrifices, their lies.
  christinejoseph | Sep 24, 2016 |
Its ten years since i read this book and yet I still get a lot of emotions thinking about it. Its about the love between brothers, the difference when they grow up and live different lives. Its about ritch and poor, wonderful :)
  MalinHagman | Sep 15, 2016 |
Have resisted picking up this book as I saw it as popular fiction. But am glad to admit I was wrong, it deserves its popularity. Themes such as courage, redemption and friendly sure resonate with me and I am glad to say thank God I read it. ( )
  siok | Aug 13, 2016 |
My immediate reaction while reading this transcendent novel was frustration—I was peeved at myself for having waited so long to enjoy Hosseini’s masterful storytelling and sublime sense of humanity, love, and redemption. Make no mistake—The Kite Runner is an exceptional work with all of the hallmarks of great literature.

The story of Amir, the novel’s admittedly imperfect narrator, begins in Kabul in the 1960s and early 1970s, where he grows up with his privileged father (his mother dies giving birth to him) and their servants, Ali and Hassan, who is just two years younger than Amir. Ali and Hassan are Hazaras, members of a marginalized ethnic group in Afghanistan. Despite Amir’s strong friendship with Hassan, the difference in social class and economic privilege damages their bond—both physically and emotionally—and the Russian invasion of Afghanistan in 1979, along with the rise of the Taliban, irrevocably transforms their relationship.

Years later, Amir—now married to an Afghan woman and living in California—is summoned back to Afghanistan for a chance to redeem himself. The ensuing narrative, despite some improbable but not entirely implausible plot developments, constitutes some of the most harrowing and emotionally powerful scenes of atonement and reconciliation imaginable.

Hosseini’s ability to tell his story and develop complex characters who exhibit all too human flaws while striving for compassion and a sense of peace left me in awe. His talent as a writer is obvious, but even stronger is his understanding of emotion and its impact on behavior. This novel moved me to tears numerous times.

Faulkner once said, “The past is never dead. It's not even past.” The Kite Runner exemplifies that idea in ways that few novels ever have. I highly recommend this novel to anyone with a pulse. Read it now—it will make you a better person. ( )
  jimrgill | Jul 16, 2016 |
"I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering it's things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night." ( )
  BrittanyLyn | Jun 21, 2016 |
The Kite Runner begins in Afghanistan with a boy named Amir and his father living happy but after the threat of Soviet forces they flee to America then soon after in the book, Amir's father dies. Later on in the story Amir is wedded to his wife but then he is called upon by his fathers old friend to return to Afghanistan and then later on he ends up saving a boy, the son of a child hood friend, named Sohrab and that gives Amir his redemption
added by CRosss | editLos Angeles Times, Cameron.Ross (Sep 10, 2014)

The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

il était un enfant calme. le calme est synonyme de paix. de tranquillité. le calme, c'est lorsqu'on pousse la manette volume de la vie vers le bas.
il marchait comme s'il avait peur de laisser des traces de pas derrière lui. il se déplaçait comme s'il souhaitait ne pas créer le moindre mouvement d'air.
added by fati.mokhtari | editFZ

Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
For you, a thousand times over.
I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great.
"But better to get hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie".

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0747566534, Paperback)

In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.

The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:04 -0400)

An epic tale of fathers and sons, of friendship and betrayal, that takes us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the atrocities of the present. The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption, and it is also about the power of fathers over sons-their love, their sacrifices, their lies.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,152,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible