The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Khaled Hosseini

37,240100416 (4.21)1 / 663
Member:BoekwurmUSA
Title:The Kite Runner
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Riverhead Trade (2004), Paperback, 372 pages
Rating:*****

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (2003)

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    Par les monts et les plaines d'Asie centrale by Anne Nivat (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Swetlana Alexijewitsch (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Swetlana Alexijewitsch (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    Kamtsjatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)

English (889)  Dutch (38)  Spanish (18)  Danish (12)  German (7)  French (6)  Italian (6)  Swedish (6)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Indonesian (1)  Croatian (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (998)
Kui ma olin punaseks nutetud silmadega ja tühja pilguga seina umbes viis minutit põrnitsenud, ütlesid kaks toas viibinud inimest mulle korraga, täpselt ühel ajal- ära loe enam seda raamatut.
Aga ma võtsin uue paki taskurätikuid ja lugesin ikkagi edasi. Ma pole ammu midagi nii head lugenud.

Kui me joonistame väga täpselt üles mõne kena päikeseloojangu, siis saame üsna kindlasti kriitikutelt sarjata. Suure tõenäosusega pole kompositsioon paigas ning kindlasti oleks see elutruu pilt ka liiga magus. Kui me elus kiigume või peegli lõhume, siis üldjuhul teeme me seda lihtsalt. Et meeldib või juhtus nii. Kui see aga sellisena raamatusse kirja panna, siis muutub see klišeeks. Kas pole veider?
Mina, selle raamatu toimetajana, oleksin päris karmilt mitu tegevusliini ära kärpinud. Samuti poleks vaja olnud hollywoodlikke "saatusepöördeid". Aga kas saab kirjanik parata, kui elu ise mängib sulle need piltlikud kujundid ja tasapinnad ning sümbolid kätte? Külm puhas valge lumi ja suured värvilised lohed sinise taeva, vabaduse, poole püüdlemas. On see kirjaniku tarkus need hetked elust üles noppida või mugavus ja mõttelaiskus?

Loe edasi
http://indigoaalane.blogspot.com/2011/01/khosseini-lohejooksja.html ( )
  Indigoaalane | Jul 18, 2014 |
Hmmm...I definitely went through stages with the book. For the first 100 pages, I truly hated the main character, Amir. He managed to save his name a bit toward the end. It was OK. I wouldn't read it again...but I might be interested in the movie that just came out. Not sure about reading the sequel yet.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Powerful and haunting indeed. Truly a modern classic. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 7, 2014 |
I had to pause to ponder what I truly thought of the Kite Runner. For the most part, I have to say I’d recommend it. Reading about Afghanistan (culture, daily habits, ethnic struggles, wars, immigrants, etc.) was highly informative. The story itself has obvious plot twists (seriously, who didn’t see this coming…) and obvious heart tugs. But for me, they mostly worked (despite some conveniences, one involving a slingshot). Atonement and redemption – powerful themes – were delivered in this book combining well with father and son relationship, friendship, betrayal, guilt, honor, and loyalty.

The book is in three major segments though not specified as such. Part 1 is the past, where the transgressions took place. Amir, the son of the wealthy businessman, noted as Baba only, allows a crime to be done to his friend and boy servant of the house, Hassan. Amir worsens the situation when the guilt he feels leads him to further drive Hassan and his father, Ali, away from the house. Part 2 is the refugee/immigrant/re-settlement phase when Baba and Amir escapes Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion in 1979. Their new lives and the Afghan community in CA is addressed. Fast forward to 15 years after his marriage, Amir is summoned to Pakistan to visit Baba’s old friend, Rahim, to make right – “There is a way to be good again”. Part 3 contains the revealing of truths and the time for atonement and redemption by rescuing Hassan’s son from Afghanistan.

When I finished reading the book, I wondered if there was a person to whom I’d say “For you, a thousand times over.” The absence of which makes me feel hollow on the inside.

Some quotes:
On father and son relationship – an intense theme in the book:
“Most days I worshiped Baba with an intensity approaching the religious. But right then, I wished I could open my veins and drain his cursed blood from my body.”

On religious zealots:
“Piss on the beards of all those self-righteous monkeys. They do nothing but thumb their rosaries and recite a book written in a tongue they don’t even understand. God help us all if Afghanistan ever falls into their hands.”

On suicide – the despair felt by a child, these simple words that summarize most suicide attempts:
“Tired of everything.”…
…”…wish you hadn’t… I wish you had left me in the water.”…
…”I am so khasta.” So very tired.

On forgiveness:
“Closing Sohrab’s door, I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.” ( )
1 vote varwenea | Jul 6, 2014 |
The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

Khaled Hosseiniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andolfo, MirkaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Celoni, FabioIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fort, Isabel MurilloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
For you, a thousand times over.
I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great.

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0747566534, Paperback)

In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.

The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:43 -0400)

An epic tale of fathers and sons, of friendship and betrayal, that takes us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the atrocities of the present. The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption, and it is also about the power of fathers over sons-their love, their sacrifices, their lies.… (more)

Eight editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,638,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible