The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Khaled Hosseini

41,253110416 (4.21)1 / 824
Member:poolays
Title:The Kite Runner
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Riverhead Trade (2004), Paperback, 372 pages
Tags:audio book, library

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (2003)

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    Boys in Zinc by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M. G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    American Taliban: A Novel by Pearl Abraham (SheReads)
    SheReads: Very different, but the cultural relevancy of both books has similar characteristics.

English (987)  Dutch (37)  Spanish (21)  Danish (12)  German (9)  Swedish (6)  French (6)  Italian (5)  Norwegian (4)  All (3)  Catalan (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Finnish (2)  Croatian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Indonesian (1)  All (1,100)
I came to this book a bit late, with extremely high expectations due to all the buzz and good reviews, and it still managed to exceed them. The story starts with Amir, the self-centered but fragile young son of an affluent businessman in Afghanistan. Amir idolizes his father but doesn’t feel worthy of his time and attention. His best friend is Hassan, the son of his father’s servant. Amir treats Hassan alternately as his best friend and as a servant. The two boys are inseparable, until a tragic incident during a local kite-flying contest causes a permanent rift between them and they are separated. Years later, an adult Amir searches for absolution for the cowardly desertion that caused harm to Hassan. The story is sad in so many ways, but beautifully written. The author creates complex characters that you can identify with, and the story was both sad and uplifting at the same time. My only complaint was the many foreign words used in the story. There were too many to stop reading and Google the term. I wish they had included a brief glossary at the beginning or end of the story. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
A heartbreaking story. A boy and his lower-class best friend growing up in imperial - and then war-torn - Afghanistan are faced with all the troubles of a segregationalist world. When the boy witnesses his friend being violated and tourtured, he turns his back on him, only to replicate the schism years later by attempting to save his son. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Difficult to get through but very rewarding. ( )
  serogers02 | Jun 10, 2017 |
mixed feelings about this one. ( )
  MonicaEH | May 23, 2017 |
I just did not enjoy this book at all. I read 60% of it, stopping on page 219, finally. A dear, dear friend in England recommended it to me when we moved back to the states. I've read it off and on since 2010 and have finally decided to stop reading it. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | May 21, 2017 |
The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

The Kite Runner begins in Afghanistan with a boy named Amir and his father living happy but after the threat of Soviet forces they flee to America then soon after in the book, Amir's father dies. Later on in the story Amir is wedded to his wife but then he is called upon by his fathers old friend to return to Afghanistan and then later on he ends up saving a boy, the son of a child hood friend, named Sohrab and that gives Amir his redemption

il était un enfant calme. le calme est synonyme de paix. de tranquillité. le calme, c'est lorsqu'on pousse la manette volume de la vie vers le bas.
il marchait comme s'il avait peur de laisser des traces de pas derrière lui. il se déplaçait comme s'il souhaitait ne pas créer le moindre mouvement d'air.
added by fati.mokhtari | editFZ

Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
For you, a thousand times over.
I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great.
"But better to get hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie".

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0747566534, Paperback)

In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.

The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:04 -0400)

An epic tale of fathers and sons, of friendship and betrayal, that takes us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the atrocities of the present. The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption, and it is also about the power of fathers over sons-their love, their sacrifices, their lies.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,258,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible