The Annotated Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

The Annotated Lolita

by Vladimir Nabokov (Author), Alfred Appel

Other authors: Alfred Apple, Jr. (Editor)

I've read this twice. My wife recommended that I read this novel and now I'm a full-blown Nabokovian. Don't let the subject matter keep you away. This is a very moral, very good, and exceptionally well written novel. One of the 20th Century's best novels, IMHO. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Alluringly written...but deeply disturbing. ( )
  hickey92 | Jan 24, 2016 |
This book is phenomenally rich, there is just so much in there to think about and analyze. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
I'm surprised at how much I loved this book. The subject matter is complex and yes, the main character is a pedophile but thanks to Nabokov's masterful language play I got sucked in to the narrative and began to somewhat acknowledge Humbert Humbert's obsessive "love" for his Lolita. Of course, I don't condone his actions but you can't finish the book without pitying/sympathizing with him while also taking into the account the destruction caused by his unusual sexual preferences.

I also recommend the annotated edition. I confess that without it I wouldn't have understood many of the puns, and historical and literary references weaved into the text. ( )
  imjustmea | Jun 1, 2014 |

Nabokov, VladimirAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Appel, Alfredmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Apple, Alfred, Jr.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
to Véra
Please do not combine The Annotated Lolita with Lolita.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679727299, Paperback)

In 1954 Vladimir Nabokov asked one American publisher to consider "a firebomb that I have just finished putting together." The explosive device: Lolita, his morality play about a middle-aged European's obsession with a 12-year-old American girl. Two years later, the New York Times called it "great art." Other reviewers staked a higher moral ground (the editor of the London Sunday Express declaring it "the filthiest book I've ever read"). Since then, the sinuous novel has never ceased to astound. Even Nabokov was astonished by its place in the popular imagination. One biographer writes that "he was quite shocked when a little girl of eight or nine came to his door for candy on Halloween, dressed up by her parents as Lolita." And when it came time to casting the film, Nabokov declared, "Let them find a dwarfess!"

The character Lolita's power now exists almost separately from the endlessly inventive novel. If only it were read as often as it is alluded to. Alfred Appel Jr., editor of the annotated edition, has appended some 900 notes, an exhaustive, good-humored introduction, and a recent preface in which he admits that the "reader familiar with Lolita can approach the apparatus as a separate unit, but the perspicacious student who keeps turning back and forth from text to Notes risks vertigo." No matter. The notes range from translations to the anatomical to the complex textual. Appel is also happy to point out the Great Punster's supposedly unintended word play: he defends the phrase "Beaver Eaters" as "a portmanteau of 'Beefeaters' (the yeoman of the British royal guard) and their beaver hats."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

Presents the degeneration which results from a middle-aged professor's desperate obsession with a precocious, callous teenager whose mother he marries just to be near the young girl.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 116 books! | Top bar: Always visible