dismiss

The Knocker on Death's Door by Ellis Peters

The Knocker on Death's Door (original 1970; edition 1989)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Inspector Felse (10)

The knocker hung on a very special door--heavy oak, with a late-Gothic arch, and apparently a late-Gothic curse. The door was moved from an old abbey to the village church, and legend held that sinners who seized the knocker had their hands burned. But Gerry Bracewell didn't die of burns . . .
Member:konallis
Title:The Knocker on Death's Door
Authors:Ellis Peters
Info:London : Futura, 1989
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:crime fiction, read 2014

The Knocker on Death's Door by Ellis Peters (1970)

An allegedly cursed door which once belonged to an abbey and then for hundreds after the Dissolution of the monasteries hung in the cellar of a minor stately home is returned to the church which was once part of the abbey. A photographer who had seen it in the cellar attends its rededication at the church and is reminded of something --but is killed in front of the door before he can share his discovery. Inspector Felse investigates a very close-knit village community on the Welsh border, but not exactly cosy. The knocker of the title turns out to be a very neatly planted clue. ( )
  antiquary | Sep 22, 2015 |
A very good traditional police procedural which uses Ellis Peters' knowledge of medieval history and art in a contemporary crime. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
November 18, 1999
The Knocker on Death’s Door
Ellis Peters

Never read anything by Peters before, but I believe I soon will again. This was one of the books I bought at the library sale, I think. I believe Peters writes the Cadfael medieval series, but this was not one of those.

The story takes place in Wales, which attracted me right away. A centuries-old, inches-thick medieval era door - a great, huge thing – has been re-discovered in the family mansion of an old Welsh family, and has been restored to its original home, a local church that was once an abbey. It seems, however, that people keep dropping dead right at the foot of the old door, and stories begin to spread of a malignant spirit – an evil monk who’d sold his soul to Satan – who haunts the door and all who come near it. The detective on hand is a fellow named George Felse, but the story doesn’t’ center on him. Rather, it jumps from character to character, and mostly, the story is told by a local car mechanic, Dave, his sister Dinah, and his partner Hugh, who is Dinah’s boyfriend.

One thing leads to another and a body is found buried in the old mansion, and the evidence seems about to do in the brother in the wealthy family, Robert, until Dinah figures it out and almost gets herself killed in the midst of it.

A very satisfying read. I’ll look for more Ellis Peters as soon as I get through some of these other unread books I have piled up! ( )
  victorianrose869 | Aug 4, 2008 |
The mystery begins with a door. What is it about the door which causes people to die? Is it supernatural, or completely natural? Inspector Felse believes the latter and sets out with his competent subordinates to find the answer.

I enjoyed this book. The secondary characters were so interesting I would enjoy reading more about them. The mystery was simple for me to solve, but the story and the events were compelling and kept me reading late into the night when I should have been in bed. ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 12, 2007 |

Ellis Petersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toelke, CathleenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,651,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible