The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper

The Little Engine That Could (1930)

by Watty Piper

Series: The Little Engine that Could (Original Story)

This timeless classic is an inspirational tale for children of all ages everywhere. "I think I can, I think I can" are the inspirational words that we associate with this book. The illustrations do a great job of not only telling but also enhancing the story. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Apr 22, 2015 |
The big idea of this story is that persistence, maintaining a positive attitude, and hard work can help one achieve their goals. I like this book for two reasons. To start, the illustrator does a wonderful job capturing the mood of the story as it progresses. At one point, the toys are standing on the tracks waiting to flag down a train. Having already been rejected by one engine, a clown, determined but unsure, holds a flag high in the air, while two giraffes lay their heads across an elephant’s back, the latter three obviously dejected. I also like how the theme shows desirable human traits in the characters. The toys are obviously distraught about their inability to get to the children on the other side of the mountain. They persist, however, and finally find a small blue engine that is willing to try. The little blue engine, in turn, relies on a positive attitude, repeating, “I think I can. I think I can,” working hard to get the train full of goodies and toys over the mountain. ( )
  jmille113 | Apr 21, 2015 |
This is a story about one train that made a difference throughout the lives of little boys and girls. A train was needed to transfer the toys to the boys and girls on the other side of the mountain, but none were available. Two trains passed by, but both rejected the journey because they weren't the correct type or were too old. All hope was lost until a little engine accepted their offer. He had never been on the other side, but by him repeating "I think I can! I think I can!", he was able to complete the journey and deliver the toys. This is a classic story that will never seem to get old. Every child should read this book at least once in their lifetime! ( )
  la560 | Apr 9, 2015 |
The Little Engine That Could is an inspiring book about a train that is carrying toys and food for little boys and girls. Though on the way to deliver the goods the rain breaks down and as other trains pass by they all say they're too busy and deny helping him. Then there was one train who was small but was determined to get the goods over the mountain to the little boys and girls. "I think I can, I think I can," are the inspiring words the train would say to himself. The characters in the story are well developed through the illustrations. The pictures in the story are pretty and colorful and the characters show their different emotions felt within the story. The message from the story is to help children overcome issues by believing in themselves. ( )
  cwierz2 | Mar 24, 2015 |
This was also one of my childhood favorites. I loved the pictures and imagining that the train was coming to my town to deliver all of those wonderful things to me! I could see the candy, and toys and wished it was real. I also like the language in the story. While it is a children's book, it does have some challenging words in it. For example, when they were talking about the shiny new train, they sad it had "comfortable berths." A child might not know what this means, which presents a great opportunity to expand knowledge. I also like how they made the shiny train sound snobbish by using expanded vocabulary. Instead of saying, "I pull you?" it says "I pull the likes of you?" This changes things up a little and gives the reader more insight on the tone of the characters. The last thing I really liked was the main message. All of these trains passed without helping but they did not give up! They kept asking for help and eventually the small blue train helped them over the mountain. ( )
  tbarne9 | Mar 5, 2015 |

Watty Piperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hauman, DorisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hauman, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moseley, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walz, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No dedication
Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong. The little train rumbled over the tracks.
This is the complete version of the children's classic story and should not be combined with "Easy-to-read", boardbook, or other adaptations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0448405202, Hardcover)

The unknowing progenitor of a whole generation of self-help books, Wally Piper's The Little Engine That Could is one of the greatest tales of motivation and the power of positive thinking ever told. In this well-loved classic, a little train carrying oodles of toys to all of the good boys and girls is confronted with a towering, seemingly impassable mountain. As nicely as they ask, the toys cannot convince the Shiny New Engine or the Big Strong Engine--far too impressed with themselves--to say anything but "I can not. I can not." It is left up to the Little Blue Engine to overcome insurmountable odds and pull the train to the other side. The Little Engine That Could is an entertaining and inspirational favorite, and the Little Blue Engine's rallying mantra "I think I can--I think I can" will resonate for a lifetime in the head of every child who hears it. (Ages 4 to 8))

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:46 -0400)

When the other engines refuse, the Little Blue Engine tries to pull a stranded train full of dolls, toys, and good food over the mountain.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0448405202, 0399244670

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,715,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible