The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper

The Little Engine That Could (1930)

by Watty Piper

Series: The Little Engine that Could

3,677None1,426 (4.09)47

This classic tale of the Little Blue Engine (that could!) is intriguing and inspiring for children. Many children seem to be interested in trains, cars and planes, especially with so many movies and TV shows that make those things come to life. The use of personification in this story is endearing with all the toys coming to life along with the trains in the story. After the toys' train engine breaks down, they ask other trains to help them over the mountain to all the good girls and boys. But those other trains are unwilling to help until the Little Blue Engine came along and had compassion on the toys even though he did not think he could make it over the engine. This little engine's determination and "thinking I can" propelled him to the other side of the mountain.
If I were to use this in a classroom setting, a couple teaching points I would use are…
- How we can help others in time of need even when we may feel we are not qualified or skilled enough to help in that situation.
- What personification does to a children's story… when you have characters who are not human but they have human characteristics and are very life-like. ( )
  brianslagle | Mar 5, 2014 |
Summary: Book is about a little train that was told by everyone else that he couldn't make it and they doubted him. But the train believed in itself and told itself that it could make it and it did make it to the town and it delivered all the toys to the little boys and girls.

Personal Reflection: A classic book that I enjoy that reflects the message of never giving up even when no one believes in you

Classroom Extensions: Have the children draw pictures of trains, and teach them to never give up ever.
  KelseyBelden | Nov 19, 2013 |
This story is a heart-warming tale about a little train that convinces itself that it can pull the broken down train over the mountain into the valley. The text is very easy for little readers to follow and understand with the repetitious "I think I can." This book also has a layout that allows children to understand certain contexts like the train going down as the words on the page also going down. This story is very entertaining and can be read to all ages.
  DJRyskie | Oct 21, 2013 |
a really good book with a great moral and a great bed-time story for little kids. ( )
  jjpoppyjj | Oct 20, 2013 |
"The Little Engine that Could" exemplifies the idea to never give up. The train encoutners problems, but fights through them and never gives up. This story is clear and easy to understand, and has enjoyable characters and pictures. The toys on the train peak children's interest, and help with the understanding of the book. ( )
  Katieflu628 | Sep 22, 2013 |

Watty Piperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hauman, DorisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hauman, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No dedication
Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong. The little train rumbled over the tracks.
This is the complete version of the children's classic story and should not be combined with "Easy-to-read", boardbook, or other adaptations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0448405202, Hardcover)

The unknowing progenitor of a whole generation of self-help books, Wally Piper's The Little Engine That Could is one of the greatest tales of motivation and the power of positive thinking ever told. In this well-loved classic, a little train carrying oodles of toys to all of the good boys and girls is confronted with a towering, seemingly impassable mountain. As nicely as they ask, the toys cannot convince the Shiny New Engine or the Big Strong Engine--far too impressed with themselves--to say anything but "I can not. I can not." It is left up to the Little Blue Engine to overcome insurmountable odds and pull the train to the other side. The Little Engine That Could is an entertaining and inspirational favorite, and the Little Blue Engine's rallying mantra "I think I can--I think I can" will resonate for a lifetime in the head of every child who hears it. (Ages 4 to 8))

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:46 -0400)

When the other engines refuse, the Little Blue Engine tries to pull a stranded train full of dolls, toys, and good food over the mountain.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0448405202, 0399244670

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible