The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper

The Little Engine That Could (1930)

by Watty Piper

Series: The Little Engine that Could (Original Story)

This fantasy book teaches children to be slow to give up. It teaches them the importance of perseverance. I liked the repetition of the phrase "I think I can", and how it morphs into "I know I can". I thought it was clever to make a train the main character, because it captures the child's attention. ( )
  NatalieCJones | Feb 9, 2015 |
"The Little Engine That Could" is an encouraging story of a tiny blue engine who stopped and gave her services to another engine who needed help getting over a hill in time to deliver toys and goodies to all the children. Before her, three other engines go by who could of helped the poor broken engine yet they refused. However, by constantly telling herself, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can," the blue engine was able to conquer the hill and deliver the toys and goodies to the children.

Personal Reflection: This book was read to me when I was younger and it always reminds me to never give up.While reading, I was reminded of the good samaritan story from the Bible as these stories are very similar. My brother made a good point about this book many years ago. He said that instead of "I think I can, " the engine should have said, "I know I can." He felt that it would have been a better phrase to show security. Either way, the engine's determination and caring personality are the overall morals of this story.

Extension: 1. Ask children about a time they felt encouraged to do something difficult. Reward each student with a piece of candy.

2. Have the children write down the names of those who encourage them and have them create thank you cards to give to those people. ( )
  mnewby17 | Jan 23, 2015 |
The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper is a story of determination and persistency. The Little Engine never gave up and believed in himself against all odds. i would read this book to kindergarteners through second graders because I believe it appeals to them more. Students could learn a lot about how your mindset determines if you are successful or not. If you think you can, you are already halfway at your goal. ( )
  Nijania | Dec 4, 2014 |
This is a really great book all about believing in yourself to accomplish something that you're not sure you can do. A little engine made it up a big hill, and between the clearly written text and interesting illustrations the story is very well put together. The story makes the reader think about perseverance and how important it is to believe in oneself. ( )
  tburfe1 | Dec 2, 2014 |
This book is a wonderful text to teach your students to never give up. I would use this book to teach the main idea to strengthen comprehension.This book also, provides a problem and solution. The ending is marvelous! ( )
  Spinea1 | Nov 29, 2014 |

Watty Piperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hauman, DorisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hauman, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moseley, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walz, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No dedication
Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong. The little train rumbled over the tracks.
This is the complete version of the children's classic story and should not be combined with "Easy-to-read", boardbook, or other adaptations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0448405202, Hardcover)

The unknowing progenitor of a whole generation of self-help books, Wally Piper's The Little Engine That Could is one of the greatest tales of motivation and the power of positive thinking ever told. In this well-loved classic, a little train carrying oodles of toys to all of the good boys and girls is confronted with a towering, seemingly impassable mountain. As nicely as they ask, the toys cannot convince the Shiny New Engine or the Big Strong Engine--far too impressed with themselves--to say anything but "I can not. I can not." It is left up to the Little Blue Engine to overcome insurmountable odds and pull the train to the other side. The Little Engine That Could is an entertaining and inspirational favorite, and the Little Blue Engine's rallying mantra "I think I can--I think I can" will resonate for a lifetime in the head of every child who hears it. (Ages 4 to 8))

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:46 -0400)

When the other engines refuse, the Little Blue Engine tries to pull a stranded train full of dolls, toys, and good food over the mountain.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0448405202, 0399244670

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,655,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible