The Little Engine That Could: 60th…

The Little Engine That Could: 60th Anniversary Edition (original 1930; edition 1990)

by Watty Piper, George Hauman, Doris Hauman

Member:Heather710
Title:The Little Engine That Could: 60th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Watty Piper
Other authors:George Hauman, Doris Hauman
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1990), Edition: 60 Anv, Hardcover, 48 pages

The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper (1930)

I liked this book for multiple reasons. First, plot is suspenseful and there is a conflict that needs to be solved. The book builds to the rising action in a timely manner to keep attention of the young kids, and the climax is suspenseful and has the reader wanting to read more. Secondly, the characters are well developed and the reader will be rooting for the train that is stuck and the little engine that helps her. For example, in the beginning of the book the author describes the little red train as, "a happy little train for she has such a jolly load to carry". Thirdly, the book pushes readers to think about the tougher issues. The book shows readers that they should stop and help when someone is in need, and to always think you can do something- never give up! The book teaches a good lesson, and is cute at the same time. ( )
  baileywysong | Sep 19, 2016 |
This book has a good theme and end message. The only critique I have for this book is the fact that sentences don't end on the same page. Instead of the words flowing and a thought ending on the pages, the ends of some sentences carry over to the next page. This does not leave room for questions or allow extra time to talk about pictures. ( )
  HRegister95 | Sep 13, 2016 |
I really enjoy reading this book. I have had personal experiences reading it to younger children and it seems as if it really does not matter how old you are; almost everyone can relate. With that being said, Piper's repetitive dialogue of "I think I can, I think I can" provides readers with the understanding that Little Engine will not give up. The positive attitude and determination portrays a significant message to younger children. Also, the illustrations are a great tool in terms of creating visuals for the readers/viewers. Throughout the story, Piper's way of creating suspense is through the pictures simply because we as readers want to know if Little Engine is going to make it to the top of the mountain. Through Little Engine's adventure, children are able to grasp the importance of hard work and optimism. On another hand, the first person point of view contributes to the moral of the story. Overall, this book conveys an important message that is relevant throughout one's life. ( )
  mbauer9 | Sep 7, 2016 |
The Little Engine that could is a great classic. I will definitely read this book to my class. It teaches us to work hard and persevere even when odds are not in our favor.

For one activity with this book, I would give the students a frowny/smiley face. The students will hold up a frowny face during the bad times in the book and a happy face during the good times in the book. This will help young students be able to recognize the mood in the book.
  Kendralpayne | Sep 6, 2016 |
A great children's book ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |

Moseley, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walz, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No dedication
Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong. The little train rumbled over the tracks.
This is the complete version of the children's classic story and should not be combined with "Easy-to-read", boardbook, or other adaptations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0448405202, Hardcover)

The unknowing progenitor of a whole generation of self-help books, Wally Piper's The Little Engine That Could is one of the greatest tales of motivation and the power of positive thinking ever told. In this well-loved classic, a little train carrying oodles of toys to all of the good boys and girls is confronted with a towering, seemingly impassable mountain. As nicely as they ask, the toys cannot convince the Shiny New Engine or the Big Strong Engine--far too impressed with themselves--to say anything but "I can not. I can not." It is left up to the Little Blue Engine to overcome insurmountable odds and pull the train to the other side. The Little Engine That Could is an entertaining and inspirational favorite, and the Little Blue Engine's rallying mantra "I think I can--I think I can" will resonate for a lifetime in the head of every child who hears it. (Ages 4 to 8))

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:13 -0400)

When the other engines refuse, the Little Blue Engine tries to pull a stranded train full of dolls, toys, and good food over the mountain.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0448405202, 0399244670

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,222,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible