The Little Engine That Could: 60th…

The Little Engine That Could: 60th Anniversary Edition (original 1930; edition 1990)

by Watty Piper, George Hauman, Doris Hauman

Member:Heather710
Title:The Little Engine That Could: 60th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Watty Piper
Other authors:George Hauman, Doris Hauman
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1990), Edition: 60 Anv, Hardcover, 48 pages

The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper (1930)

This story has been around since the 1930’s. It is a great story about putting your mind to something and getting it done. It is an old story that appeals to children because it has trains, toys and animals. Everything children love.
The language in the book is somewhat dated. I love the phrases,” creamy bottles of milk,” and “peppermints drops and lollypops for the after-meal treats.” The rest of the story is happy and cheerful. Although, the first engines refused to be helpful, the animals, toys, and the dolls were still positive they would find help. They do with the Little Blue Engine. She is not sure but she says she will try. She says, “I think I can-I think I can-I think I can-I think I can-as she tries to make it over the mountain. She does and at the end she says I thought I could-I thought I could-I thought I could. “ These lines are probably the most famous lines that people still use today.
The illustrations are as bright and cheerful as the story. They go very well together. The illustrations are dated. The toys that are shown were popular in the thirties through fifties. Although recognizable, most are not played with today. The illustrations of the glass bottles of milk and the spinach were funny because milk does not come in glass bottles anymore and spinach would not be considered a favorite food for children today.
The plot of the story is well paced and having all the engines say that they will not help them builds suspense in the story. As the reader reads the story they start rooting for the animals, toys and dolls and are happy when the Little Blue Engine says yes. As the engine is going up the mountain you feel yourself moving along with him and when he makes it you want to applaud and cheer.
This is a cute but dated story that has lasted. “I think I can-I think I can-will be with us forever. ( )
  AlexWyatt | Oct 13, 2014 |
SUMMARY: This book is about a train that has a very important job, to bring toys and gifts to little boys and girls. Unfortunately, it breaks down before getting to the kids. Many trains passed, but none of them could help the train get to the children over the mountain. Then, a little blue train agrees to help, and despite her small size, with her
" I think I can, I think I can, I think I can" attitude, she pulls the train full of toys.

REVIEW: This book is about keeping motivated and trying your best to achieve something. I think that students would really enjoy this book and it has a moral that is important to young students who may feel frustrated or that they "cannot, cannot, cannot." They can use the classic saying, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!" Also, it has a theme of helping others, since the little blue engine helped pull the train that had broken down. This book is a classic and one of my personal favorites from childhood.
  ekrzys1 | Sep 30, 2014 |
I didn't like the pictures. Just the same old story. ( )
  kelleyhar | Sep 29, 2014 |
Book is about a little train that was told by everyone else that he couldn't make it and they doubted him. But the train believed in itself and told itself that it could make it and it did make it to the town and it delivered all the toys to the little boys and girls.

I love this book because it conveys a very positive message to all readers to never give up no matter what.

Have them draw trains, have them each tell a story where they or someone they know didnt give up even though they wanted to.
  RaymondGraham | Jul 10, 2014 |
The Little Engine That Could Watty Piper Illustrated By Loren Long Published By Penguin Group US, Sep 27, 2005 pages 48. The Little Engine That Could is a picture book for children of a train filled with toys that breaks down before reaching the children. a blue train agrees to help the stranded toys. Even though it is small, the blue train tries its hardest to bring the toys to the other side. I think this is a fun book I recommend it to show how you can go beyond the normal if you set your mid to it.
  joey_spencer | May 13, 2014 |

Watty Piperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hauman, DorisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hauman, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moseley, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walz, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No dedication
Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong. The little train rumbled over the tracks.
This is the complete version of the children's classic story and should not be combined with "Easy-to-read", boardbook, or other adaptations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0448405202, Hardcover)

The unknowing progenitor of a whole generation of self-help books, Wally Piper's The Little Engine That Could is one of the greatest tales of motivation and the power of positive thinking ever told. In this well-loved classic, a little train carrying oodles of toys to all of the good boys and girls is confronted with a towering, seemingly impassable mountain. As nicely as they ask, the toys cannot convince the Shiny New Engine or the Big Strong Engine--far too impressed with themselves--to say anything but "I can not. I can not." It is left up to the Little Blue Engine to overcome insurmountable odds and pull the train to the other side. The Little Engine That Could is an entertaining and inspirational favorite, and the Little Blue Engine's rallying mantra "I think I can--I think I can" will resonate for a lifetime in the head of every child who hears it. (Ages 4 to 8))

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:46 -0400)

When the other engines refuse, the Little Blue Engine tries to pull a stranded train full of dolls, toys, and good food over the mountain.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0448405202, 0399244670

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible