The Little Engine That Could: 60th…

The Little Engine That Could: 60th Anniversary Edition (original 1930; edition 1990)

by Watty Piper, George Hauman, Doris Hauman

Member:Heather710
Title:The Little Engine That Could: 60th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Watty Piper
Other authors:George Hauman, Doris Hauman
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1990), Edition: 60 Anv, Hardcover, 48 pages

The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper (1930)

Book is about a little train that was told by everyone else that he couldn't make it and they doubted him. But the train believed in itself and told itself that it could make it and it did make it to the town and it delivered all the toys to the little boys and girls.

I love this book because it conveys a very positive message to all readers to never give up no matter what.

Have them draw trains, have them each tell a story where they or someone they know didnt give up even though they wanted to.
  RaymondGraham | Jul 10, 2014 |
The Little Engine That Could Watty Piper Illustrated By Loren Long Published By Penguin Group US, Sep 27, 2005 pages 48. The Little Engine That Could is a picture book for children of a train filled with toys that breaks down before reaching the children. a blue train agrees to help the stranded toys. Even though it is small, the blue train tries its hardest to bring the toys to the other side. I think this is a fun book I recommend it to show how you can go beyond the normal if you set your mid to it.
  joey_spencer | May 13, 2014 |
The Little Engine That Could is not only a timeless classic, but one of my favorite stories as a child. The book is one of my favorites for a few reasons. The language that the writers uses is entertaining and descriptive in a way that young children would enjoy. Some descriptive writing in the story includes lines such as “…big golden oranges, red-cheeked apples, bottles of creamy milk…” This writing is very engaging for children because they can create pictures in their head of the story as well as use the illustrations. Each illustration is described in much detail, even the description and use of each train that passes by the engine. This story would be great to read to a class because of the predictions and repetitions that it incorporates. For example, “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can,” and the repeating idea that each train that passes by the engine will say no the toys and dolls. The plot of the story also leads to a fantastic moral lesson for readers. The big trains had too much pride to help the small broken down engine, but the smallest train had all the courage. The big idea of the story is that although we may not always believe in ourselves at first, we can always muster up the courage to complete whatever we set our minds to. This is a great lesson for children in school! ( )
  ckelly16 | May 11, 2014 |
This was one of my favorite stories as a child. I love this book for several reasons. Descriptive and figurative language is used throughout the book. For example, the story reads, “big golden oranges, red-cheeked apples, bottles of creamy milk for their breakfasts.” These sensory details engage the reader and create a more interesting story. Onomatopoeia is included on the first page when the book reads, “Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff, Ding-dong, ding-dong.” I love the use of onomatopoeia because readers can hear the sounds of the train moving.
The writing is very organized; words are written at the bottom of the page under the illustrations. There is also a repetition of phrases and sentences throughout the story. The illustrations are bright and colorful for young readers. The plot is the red train’s engine broke and no other train is willing to help him get over the mountain and deliver toys and good food to the good little boys and girls. The small blue train decides to help, even though he is very little. The character of the small blue train is believable and relatable to young children. He knows that he is small, but he wants to try his hardest to help everyone in need. While climbing the mountain, the blue train would always repeat, “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.” The day is saved when the blue train successfully makes it over the mountain. He then repeats, “I thought I could, I thought I could, I thought I could.” The book teaches an important lesson to children about never giving up. The central message is even if you are small; you can still accomplish great things. ( )
  jgiann2 | May 8, 2014 |
This classic tale of the Little Blue Engine (that could!) is intriguing and inspiring for children. Many children seem to be interested in trains, cars and planes, especially with so many movies and TV shows that make those things come to life. The use of personification in this story is endearing with all the toys coming to life along with the trains in the story. After the toys' train engine breaks down, they ask other trains to help them over the mountain to all the good girls and boys. But those other trains are unwilling to help until the Little Blue Engine came along and had compassion on the toys even though he did not think he could make it over the engine. This little engine's determination and "thinking I can" propelled him to the other side of the mountain.
If I were to use this in a classroom setting, a couple teaching points I would use are…
- How we can help others in time of need even when we may feel we are not qualified or skilled enough to help in that situation.
- What personification does to a children's story… when you have characters who are not human but they have human characteristics and are very life-like. ( )
  brianslagle | Mar 5, 2014 |

Watty Piperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hauman, DorisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hauman, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moseley, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walz, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No dedication
Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong. The little train rumbled over the tracks.
This is the complete version of the children's classic story and should not be combined with "Easy-to-read", boardbook, or other adaptations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0448405202, Hardcover)

The unknowing progenitor of a whole generation of self-help books, Wally Piper's The Little Engine That Could is one of the greatest tales of motivation and the power of positive thinking ever told. In this well-loved classic, a little train carrying oodles of toys to all of the good boys and girls is confronted with a towering, seemingly impassable mountain. As nicely as they ask, the toys cannot convince the Shiny New Engine or the Big Strong Engine--far too impressed with themselves--to say anything but "I can not. I can not." It is left up to the Little Blue Engine to overcome insurmountable odds and pull the train to the other side. The Little Engine That Could is an entertaining and inspirational favorite, and the Little Blue Engine's rallying mantra "I think I can--I think I can" will resonate for a lifetime in the head of every child who hears it. (Ages 4 to 8))

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:46 -0400)

When the other engines refuse, the Little Blue Engine tries to pull a stranded train full of dolls, toys, and good food over the mountain.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0448405202, 0399244670

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible