The Little Engine That Could: 60th…

The Little Engine That Could: 60th Anniversary Edition (original 1930; edition 1990)

by Watty Piper, George Hauman, Doris Hauman

Member:Heather710
Title:The Little Engine That Could: 60th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Watty Piper
Other authors:George Hauman, Doris Hauman
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1990), Edition: 60 Anv, Hardcover, 48 pages

The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper (1930)

The Little Engine That Could is an inspiring book about a train that is carrying toys and food for little boys and girls. Though on the way to deliver the goods the rain breaks down and as other trains pass by they all say they're too busy and deny helping him. Then there was one train who was small but was determined to get the goods over the mountain to the little boys and girls. "I think I can, I think I can," are the inspiring words the train would say to himself. The characters in the story are well developed through the illustrations. The pictures in the story are pretty and colorful and the characters show their different emotions felt within the story. The message from the story is to help children overcome issues by believing in themselves. ( )
  cwierz2 | Mar 24, 2015 |
This was also one of my childhood favorites. I loved the pictures and imagining that the train was coming to my town to deliver all of those wonderful things to me! I could see the candy, and toys and wished it was real. I also like the language in the story. While it is a children's book, it does have some challenging words in it. For example, when they were talking about the shiny new train, they sad it had "comfortable berths." A child might not know what this means, which presents a great opportunity to expand knowledge. I also like how they made the shiny train sound snobbish by using expanded vocabulary. Instead of saying, "I pull you?" it says "I pull the likes of you?" This changes things up a little and gives the reader more insight on the tone of the characters. The last thing I really liked was the main message. All of these trains passed without helping but they did not give up! They kept asking for help and eventually the small blue train helped them over the mountain. ( )
  tbarne9 | Mar 5, 2015 |
This fantasy book teaches children to be slow to give up. It teaches them the importance of perseverance. I liked the repetition of the phrase "I think I can", and how it morphs into "I know I can". I thought it was clever to make a train the main character, because it captures the child's attention. This book starts with a train that wants to make it up a hill, but doesn't think she can do it. She ends up motivating herself with "I think I can" and "I know I can". In the end, she makes it up the hill which teaches an important lesson about perseverence. ( )
  NatalieCJones | Feb 9, 2015 |
"The Little Engine That Could" is an encouraging story of a tiny blue engine who stopped and gave her services to another engine who needed help getting over a hill in time to deliver toys and goodies to all the children. Before her, three other engines go by who could of helped the poor broken engine yet they refused. However, by constantly telling herself, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can," the blue engine was able to conquer the hill and deliver the toys and goodies to the children.

Personal Reflection: This book was read to me when I was younger and it always reminds me to never give up.While reading, I was reminded of the good samaritan story from the Bible as these stories are very similar. My brother made a good point about this book many years ago. He said that instead of "I think I can, " the engine should have said, "I know I can." He felt that it would have been a better phrase to show security. Either way, the engine's determination and caring personality are the overall morals of this story.

Extension: 1. Ask children about a time they felt encouraged to do something difficult. Reward each student with a piece of candy.

2. Have the children write down the names of those who encourage them and have them create thank you cards to give to those people. ( )
  mnewby17 | Jan 23, 2015 |
The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper is a story of determination and persistency. The Little Engine never gave up and believed in himself against all odds. i would read this book to kindergarteners through second graders because I believe it appeals to them more. Students could learn a lot about how your mindset determines if you are successful or not. If you think you can, you are already halfway at your goal. ( )
  Nijania | Dec 4, 2014 |

Watty Piperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hauman, DorisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hauman, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moseley, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walz, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No dedication
Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong. The little train rumbled over the tracks.
This is the complete version of the children's classic story and should not be combined with "Easy-to-read", boardbook, or other adaptations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0448405202, Hardcover)

The unknowing progenitor of a whole generation of self-help books, Wally Piper's The Little Engine That Could is one of the greatest tales of motivation and the power of positive thinking ever told. In this well-loved classic, a little train carrying oodles of toys to all of the good boys and girls is confronted with a towering, seemingly impassable mountain. As nicely as they ask, the toys cannot convince the Shiny New Engine or the Big Strong Engine--far too impressed with themselves--to say anything but "I can not. I can not." It is left up to the Little Blue Engine to overcome insurmountable odds and pull the train to the other side. The Little Engine That Could is an entertaining and inspirational favorite, and the Little Blue Engine's rallying mantra "I think I can--I think I can" will resonate for a lifetime in the head of every child who hears it. (Ages 4 to 8))

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:46 -0400)

When the other engines refuse, the Little Blue Engine tries to pull a stranded train full of dolls, toys, and good food over the mountain.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0448405202, 0399244670

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,233,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible