The Little Engine That Could: 60th…

The Little Engine That Could: 60th Anniversary Edition (original 1930; edition 1990)

by Watty Piper, George Hauman, Doris Hauman

Title:The Little Engine That Could: 60th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Watty Piper
Other authors:George Hauman, Doris Hauman
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1990), Edition: 60 Anv, Hardcover, 48 pages

The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper (1930)

A classic child's book demonstrating self confidence, and determination can achieve goals. For kindergarten though third grades.
  Bennice21 | Nov 19, 2015 |
A classic tale used to teach its readers the importance of perseverance, The Little Engine That Could is a great reading tool to use with any age. This story can be used to teach children how no task is too difficult to try and try and try as hard as you can. Children need to learn to believe in themselves and their ability to succeed. This story is about a little train engine that has a big task asked of him. He doesn't think he is worthy to complete the task, because he compares himself to other "bigger and better" trains that he thinks would complete the task before he ever could. As it turns out none of the other engines can get the job done, and it is up to the little engine to believe in himself and prove to himself that he in fact can get the job done. This story is a timeless, inspirational tale to use in the classroom. ( )
  hmf77msu | Nov 17, 2015 |
used to discriminate the sounds ch and tr ( )
  mew034 | Oct 24, 2015 |
26 months - it's a classic. I remember enjoying this story as a kid and now we've revisited it again. If at first you don't succeed try try again... I think I can! ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
The little Engine that Could is a story about a little blue engine that takes on a train that none of the other big engines thought they could handle. The train is stranded and needs to be pulled over miles of rough terrain. None of the other engines take on the train. The little blue engine decides it can, and takes the train over rough terrain, all the while chanting the mantra, I think I can, I think I can, in the end the little blue engine does just that and completes the delivery.

My personal reaction.
I think this story is an important one for kids as it shows that big things can come in little packages. That no matter your size, with a bit of try, you can accomplish big things.

Classroom extension ideas.
This would be a very good book to start a positive discussion about trying our best and never giving up. Big things can happen to those who give their all and never give up no matter their size. ( )
  Soonerfan1999 | Sep 5, 2015 |

Moseley, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walz, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No dedication
Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong. The little train rumbled over the tracks.
This is the complete version of the children's classic story and should not be combined with "Easy-to-read", boardbook, or other adaptations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0448405202, Hardcover)

The unknowing progenitor of a whole generation of self-help books, Wally Piper's The Little Engine That Could is one of the greatest tales of motivation and the power of positive thinking ever told. In this well-loved classic, a little train carrying oodles of toys to all of the good boys and girls is confronted with a towering, seemingly impassable mountain. As nicely as they ask, the toys cannot convince the Shiny New Engine or the Big Strong Engine--far too impressed with themselves--to say anything but "I can not. I can not." It is left up to the Little Blue Engine to overcome insurmountable odds and pull the train to the other side. The Little Engine That Could is an entertaining and inspirational favorite, and the Little Blue Engine's rallying mantra "I think I can--I think I can" will resonate for a lifetime in the head of every child who hears it. (Ages 4 to 8))

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:13 -0400)

When the other engines refuse, the Little Blue Engine tries to pull a stranded train full of dolls, toys, and good food over the mountain.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0448405202, 0399244670

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible