The Little Engine That Could: 60th…

The Little Engine That Could: 60th Anniversary Edition (original 1930; edition 1990)

by Watty Piper, George Hauman, Doris Hauman

Member:Heather710
Title:The Little Engine That Could: 60th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Watty Piper
Other authors:George Hauman, Doris Hauman
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1990), Edition: 60 Anv, Hardcover, 48 pages

The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper (1930)

A great children's book ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
great moral! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Sarah Durkin
Professor Martens
EDUC417
1 March 2016
Reading Log Entry #12: The Little Engine That Could by, Watty Piper
This book does a good job capturing reader’s attentions. First, there are many different emotions that occur throughout this story. Readers are able to relate and predict how the engine will feel next based off of the facial expressions and text in the book. The train was sad when it broke down, but then happy when he was able to deliver all of the toys to the children. Second, this book encourages readers to have positive attitudes by saying “I think I can, I think I can.” This is important because whenever you are having a bad day or a hard time, staying positive can motivate you to reach your goal and do the best you can. Others would tell him not to worry about dropping the toys off, but since it was his job and he knew children were waiting, the train persisted to get moving again. Finally, I like how the train took a risk to do what he thought was right. Most people try to avoid risks, but in this story taking a risk could mean happiness for many people. Sometimes it is good to think of others and put others first before yourself. This shows respect and courage, which are good traits to have as a person. The overall message of this book is to never give up. After reading this book, it is clear that anyone who puts in a lot of effort will get a good outcome in return. ( )
  SarahDurkin | Feb 24, 2016 |
I was not a big fan of this book. I found this book to be very long and wordy. For a student or child learning to read, the fluff words can be confusing and needless. For example, the toys ask three trains to help them get over the mountain. Each time they give a very long explanation as to why the train should help them. “Our engine has broken down, and the boys and girls on the other side won’t have any toys to play with or good foods to eat unless you help us.” Personally, I read this aloud to a student of mine and it was very hard to read fluently. Too many words can be confusing, and they were non-essential to the plot. I also did not like how long this story took to get to the title character. As I was reading it, I started questioning if I was indeed reading The Little Engine that Could. The student lacked engagement and we both grew weary of the story by the time we reached the little engine that could. For example, the first two-thirds of the book are about separate engines, then the last little part of the book is about the little engine. I do not think the title of this book appropriately reflects the story. This really brought the message of the book to believe in yourself, down, in my opinion. ( )
  CathiRussell | Feb 20, 2016 |
This book is about a train that does not think it will be able to complete his trip, but with encouragement from others he finishes his trip. This book was one of my favorites growing up. It inspired me to never give up even when the going gets tough.

The illustrations are very colorful and detailed depicting the train as he goes on his hard journey. ( )
  jproc55 | Jan 21, 2016 |

Moseley, KeithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walz, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No dedication
Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong. The little train rumbled over the tracks.
This is the complete version of the children's classic story and should not be combined with "Easy-to-read", boardbook, or other adaptations.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0448405202, Hardcover)

The unknowing progenitor of a whole generation of self-help books, Wally Piper's The Little Engine That Could is one of the greatest tales of motivation and the power of positive thinking ever told. In this well-loved classic, a little train carrying oodles of toys to all of the good boys and girls is confronted with a towering, seemingly impassable mountain. As nicely as they ask, the toys cannot convince the Shiny New Engine or the Big Strong Engine--far too impressed with themselves--to say anything but "I can not. I can not." It is left up to the Little Blue Engine to overcome insurmountable odds and pull the train to the other side. The Little Engine That Could is an entertaining and inspirational favorite, and the Little Blue Engine's rallying mantra "I think I can--I think I can" will resonate for a lifetime in the head of every child who hears it. (Ages 4 to 8))

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:13 -0400)

When the other engines refuse, the Little Blue Engine tries to pull a stranded train full of dolls, toys, and good food over the mountain.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0448405202, 0399244670

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,841,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible