The Hero of Ages: Mistborn Book Three: 3/3…

The Hero of Ages: Mistborn Book Three: 3/3 (edition 2010)

by Brandon Sanderson (Author)

Member:wimstu
Title:The Hero of Ages: Mistborn Book Three: 3/3
Authors:Brandon Sanderson (Author)
Info:Gollancz (2010), 768 pages
Collections:Electronic
Tags:Mistborn, Fantasy, Fiction

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

Recently added byLahkesis, CathyMcCaughan, private library, Sugrad1988, albertomm98, deireadh, Gezemice

English (155)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (159)
In this action-packed final installment, Elend, Vin, Sazed, and the crew struggles to save the world, which is increasingly being ruined by the all too conveniently named Ruin. There are lots of battles, plans, foiled plans, clues, and answers. I especially liked that the clues were coming in an order that I could stay one step ahead figuring them out.

Hemalurgy, as the third metallic art, is explored. Spook becomes a hero, Tensoon and the kandra play a vital role, we learn the origins of the Inquisitors, koloss and kandra. Marsh also returns. Sazed loses and finds his faith. We get a world-changing clash of gods... and a fitting ending.

Great plotting, much better than the previous book - this one only started a bit slow, then it was a page turner throughout. While there was still quite a bit of over-wexing - especially Sazed discarding all his religions - the explanations were finally at a satisfactory level - not too much, not too little.

I enjoyed the expanded world - large parts take place in Utreau, Fadrex and the kandra world. I especially enjoyed the Kandra Homeland, their beliefs and customs.

It got a bit too mystical for me at the end, but I still enjoyed it. It was both sad and hopeful. Great end to the series. ( )
  Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
I'm sad it's over. ( )
  Bovo | Oct 26, 2018 |
SO good. ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |
Book Review – The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3) by Brandon Sanderson
The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson continues the Mistborn saga as Vin, Elend and the rest of the crew try to unite the Empire and save their crumbling world.

The Bad Stuff: I really can’t think of anything that stood out to me. There were one or two spots where I questioned if a character had learned some of the information they knew, but I didn’t want to go back/read over to find out. I just wanted to keep moving forward with the story. I trust that Sanderson would have covered this and that I had not registered these snippets of information as I was reading.

The Good Stuff: I loved this book as much as the first two. It progresses the story of all our favourite characters – Vin, Elend, Sazed, Tensoon, Spook, and more, as well as introducing some new characters we start to care for. The magic system continues to expand as the story reveals more of its hidden secrets and I feel that Sanderson has found a good balance of giving new readers what they need to know while not repeating too much of what existing readers have already learned. Sanderson has done a great job holding back story details that are drip fed to us over the series, and this last book reveals the last of those secrets, bringing us to a full understanding of the world and why things are the way they are.

Overall this is a great resolution to this fantasy series and a thoroughly enjoyable read.
I’m going to give this one an earth moving, pewter filled 5 out of 5 golden bookmarks.
  AWA1 | Sep 24, 2018 |
Unexpected, but well done ending to the series. ( )
  TravbudJ | Sep 15, 2018 |
Sanderson's conclusion to the epic that began with Mistborn and continued in Well of Ascension resonates with all the elements of classic heroic fantasy, along with unusual forms of magic and strong, believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Oct 15, 2008)

Sanderson pulls loose ends together, explains vague prophecies, and produces the Hero of Ages, and the Mistborn trilogy concludes satisfactorily.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Oct 1, 2008)

Sanderson's saga of consequences offers complex characters and a compelling plot, asking hard questions about loyalty, faith and responsibility.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 18, 2008)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Feder, MosheEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChristianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jordan Sanderson,
Who can explain to any who ask
What it's like to have a brother
Who spends most of his time dreaming.
(Thanks for putting up with me.)
Marsh struggled to kill himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356147, Mass Market Paperback)

Who is the Hero of Ages?

To end the Final Empire and restore freedom, Vin killed the Lord Ruler. But as a result, the Deepness---the lethal form of the ubiquitous mists---is back, along with increasingly heavy ashfalls and ever more powerful earthquakes. Humanity appears to be doomed.

Having escaped death at the climax of The Well of Ascension only by becoming a Mistborn himself, Emperor Elend Venture hopes to find clues left behind by the Lord Ruler that will allow him to save the world. Vin is consumed with guilt at having been tricked into releasing the mystic force known as Ruin from the Well. Ruin wants to end the world, and its near omniscience and ability to warp reality make stopping it seem impossible. She can’t even discuss it with Elend lest Ruin learn their plans!

The conclusion of the Mistborn trilogy fulfills all the promise of the first two books. Revelations abound, connections rooted in early chapters of the series click into place, and surprises, as satisfying as they are stunning, blossom like fireworks to dazzle and delight. It all leads up to a finale unmatched for originality and audacity that will leave readers rubbing their eyes in wonder, as if awaking from an amazing dream.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

Tricked into releasing the evil spirit Ruin while attempting to close the Well of Ascension, new emperor Elend Venture and his wife, the assassin Vin, are now hard-pressed to save the world from Ruin's deadly Inquisitors, the insidious lethal mists called the Deepness and the increasingly heavy falls of black ash that threaten to bury the land and starve its inhabitants.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Brandon Sanderson's book The Hero of Ages was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,356,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible