The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

The Hero of Ages (edition 2009)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn (3)

Member:StephenBarkley
Title:The Hero of Ages
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2009), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 784 pages
Collections:Your library, @Kindle
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Epic

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

English (105)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (107)
I am not a giant fan of this book or this series. This one was slightly better than book 2, but not by much. I thought it really dragged, while at the same time, some aspects of the book seemed to move too fast. I did enjoy discovering some new things about the world and the ending itself was very satisfactory. However, I still think this series suffers from its original premise - a book designed around a badly flawed magic system. This whole book and series felt like it was written to delve into the magic system, but that really isn't enough to drive 3 long books. I understand the underlying plot is creation vs. destruction, but that's hardly a new idea. ( )
  Karlstar | Aug 13, 2014 |
A very satisfying finish to a truly entertaining series of books. I've read books that I've had deeper feelings for, but these make my list of books worth recommending to others. The endgame of these books took me completely by surprise, which is kind of hard to do, given the number of fantasies novels I've read and honed my trope identification skills on. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
It took me a while to get through this one. I had a tough time engaging with it, although that might be partially because it's been so long since I started the series. I wasn't crazy about the writing in some sections, which I don't remember having an issue with in the first two books either. It was almost worth slogging through for some of the twists, turns, and revelations that came near the end, but I'll admit that all of the religious overtones at the end bugged me. Overall a pretty satisfying end to the series (although apparently there will be a later-set book 4 now - still not sure if I want to read it yet) in that all of the loose ends were tied up. ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
This is a satisfying conclusion to the Mistborn trilogy. The ending caught me off guard, and was satisfying at the same time. There are clues pointing to it, but they're so subtle. I plan on rereading the trilogy now. If you liked the first two books, you'll enjoy this one as well. If you're just starting the trilogy, you're in for a treat! ( )
  RoseCrossed | Jun 27, 2014 |
Thoroughly enjoyed the conclusion of the trilogy. Particularly the end which was unexpected but satisfying. ( )
  infjsarah | Jun 14, 2014 |
Sanderson's conclusion to the epic that began with Mistborn and continued in Well of Ascension resonates with all the elements of classic heroic fantasy, along with unusual forms of magic and strong, believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Oct 15, 2008)

Sanderson pulls loose ends together, explains vague prophecies, and produces the Hero of Ages, and the Mistborn trilogy concludes satisfactorily.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Oct 1, 2008)

Sanderson's saga of consequences offers complex characters and a compelling plot, asking hard questions about loyalty, faith and responsibility.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 18, 2008)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Feder, MosheEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Jordan Sanderson,
Who can explain to any who ask
What it's like to have a brother
Who spends most of his time dreaming.
(Thanks for putting up with me.)
Marsh struggled to kill himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356147, Mass Market Paperback)

Who is the Hero of Ages?

To end the Final Empire and restore freedom, Vin killed the Lord Ruler. But as a result, the Deepness---the lethal form of the ubiquitous mists---is back, along with increasingly heavy ashfalls and ever more powerful earthquakes. Humanity appears to be doomed.

Having escaped death at the climax of The Well of Ascension only by becoming a Mistborn himself, Emperor Elend Venture hopes to find clues left behind by the Lord Ruler that will allow him to save the world. Vin is consumed with guilt at having been tricked into releasing the mystic force known as Ruin from the Well. Ruin wants to end the world, and its near omniscience and ability to warp reality make stopping it seem impossible. She can’t even discuss it with Elend lest Ruin learn their plans!

The conclusion of the Mistborn trilogy fulfills all the promise of the first two books. Revelations abound, connections rooted in early chapters of the series click into place, and surprises, as satisfying as they are stunning, blossom like fireworks to dazzle and delight. It all leads up to a finale unmatched for originality and audacity that will leave readers rubbing their eyes in wonder, as if awaking from an amazing dream.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:40 -0400)

Tricked into releasing the evil spirit Ruin while attempting to close the Well of Ascension, new emperor Elend Venture and his wife, the assassin Vin, are now hard-pressed to save the world from Ruin's deadly Inquisitors, the insidious lethal mists called the Deepness and the increasingly heavy falls of black ash that threaten to bury the land and starve its inhabitants.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,348,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible