The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

The Hero of Ages (edition 2009)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:StephenBarkley
Title:The Hero of Ages
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2009), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 784 pages
Collections:Your library, @Kindle
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Epic

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

English (120)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (124)
So, Mistborn Trilogy.

Where do I even start? It’s one of the greatest fantasy novels out there? Or you should totally read them? Oh yeah, definitely. Still, there is something more…

I think the time I first read the trilogy was about 3 years ago, when my English was still a big mess, and I don’t think I even managed to understand half of what was going on. One of my cousin lend me the copies, and I spent weeks reading them. It was hard to grasp at first, I’ll give you that, but that didn’t affect my love for it. It’s like loving a person who doesn’t speak the same language as you. It’s a struggle, but it’s a satisfying struggle.

The funny part is, I didn’t got a chance to go through book 3, which is the last book of the trilogy in my consideration (the rest features a different cast of characters), so I basically restarted the whole series not only with a different perspective and understand, but also ignorance of some sort to what will happen next…

THE. BOOKS. BLEW. MY. HEAD.

I cannot find a single word to describe how phenomenal this series is. Heck, I don’t think “phenomenal” can cover it all. The world-building, the anticipation, the characters… Those can’t just simply be described as incredible. Also, Mr. Sanderson, you are now officially receive a high stand in my list of I-love-you-and-hate-is-a-part-of-it-it’s-complicate-I-know authors. Your books are basically tickles. And no matter how straightforward your warnings are, no matter how you tell us, “I’m about to tickle you,” IT WILL STILL TICKLE IN THE END!! (I know, it’s the worst kind of example ever, don’t judge). I laughed a lot, cried some more, giggled to myself, and do all kind of stuff that I don’t normally do (I’m a hardcore fangirl, it says something) ALL BECAUSE OF YOUR BOOKS, dear Mr. Sanderson. And I regret none of that.

The most amazing part was that… I—in a way—expected what will happen for the Mistborn’s ultimate ending. If you have read this amazing series, you would probably tell me, “What? How could you even have that weird, somewhat terrible thought in your mind?” I mean, yeah, nobody wants that to happen, I’m sure. But I know before starting book 3 on the car only two days ago, I was actually telling myself, “Well, Sanderson is that author who would do that kind of things and I would love it to my death.” It happened. And let me tell you, I will love it till the day after my death.

Overall, reading this amazing trilogy was an incredible experience for me. I’m still having difficulties getting over it, and the “difficulties” will probably stay for quite awhile. But in the meantime, I will take my time with our dear new friends in [book:The Alloy of Law|10803121] and let’s see how that will turn out. ( )
  mariananhi | Apr 8, 2016 |
Well, a very satisfying trilogy!
Creative, surprising, great characters, good ending!
interesting for the religious questions, and political.
  Gerardlionel | Apr 1, 2016 |
The ending of the first trilogy in the Mistborn series is very exciting and fitting, it just takes a while to get there. The first 2/3 of the book is slow and a bit pointless. It concentrates on pretty mundane aspects that help set people up, but could have really been condensed. I think what made it slow was how short the chapters were. When a character would finally get something exciting happening, it would switch POVs and another build would happen. But the last 1/3 of the book is fantastic. It makes up for everything. Filled with great events, action sequences, and twists. There is also a complete ending that answers a lot of questions brought up in the previous books. The book isn't the best the series, but overall it is a great read to end the story. ( )
  renbedell | Mar 29, 2016 |
Of the three "Mistborn" books, this one got a little tedious. There was too much angst from Sazed and Elend. The ending was really fun and satisfying. Godlike powers? Ya can't go wrong with that.

I understand why it upset some readers, but for me, the whole story felt too pre-ordained for full immersion. I was never emotionally invested with the characters. It was a clever and fitting ending to a clever epic tale, and that's enough to make me happy. ( )
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |
I thought this book was slightly weaker than the previous two, but still a great read It took a little while for me to get into it, but once I did, it did not disappoint. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
Sanderson's conclusion to the epic that began with Mistborn and continued in Well of Ascension resonates with all the elements of classic heroic fantasy, along with unusual forms of magic and strong, believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Oct 15, 2008)

Sanderson pulls loose ends together, explains vague prophecies, and produces the Hero of Ages, and the Mistborn trilogy concludes satisfactorily.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Oct 1, 2008)

Sanderson's saga of consequences offers complex characters and a compelling plot, asking hard questions about loyalty, faith and responsibility.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 18, 2008)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Feder, MosheEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChristianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jordan Sanderson,
Who can explain to any who ask
What it's like to have a brother
Who spends most of his time dreaming.
(Thanks for putting up with me.)
Marsh struggled to kill himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356147, Mass Market Paperback)

Who is the Hero of Ages?

To end the Final Empire and restore freedom, Vin killed the Lord Ruler. But as a result, the Deepness---the lethal form of the ubiquitous mists---is back, along with increasingly heavy ashfalls and ever more powerful earthquakes. Humanity appears to be doomed.

Having escaped death at the climax of The Well of Ascension only by becoming a Mistborn himself, Emperor Elend Venture hopes to find clues left behind by the Lord Ruler that will allow him to save the world. Vin is consumed with guilt at having been tricked into releasing the mystic force known as Ruin from the Well. Ruin wants to end the world, and its near omniscience and ability to warp reality make stopping it seem impossible. She can’t even discuss it with Elend lest Ruin learn their plans!

The conclusion of the Mistborn trilogy fulfills all the promise of the first two books. Revelations abound, connections rooted in early chapters of the series click into place, and surprises, as satisfying as they are stunning, blossom like fireworks to dazzle and delight. It all leads up to a finale unmatched for originality and audacity that will leave readers rubbing their eyes in wonder, as if awaking from an amazing dream.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

Tricked into releasing the evil spirit Ruin while attempting to close the Well of Ascension, new emperor Elend Venture and his wife, the assassin Vin, are now hard-pressed to save the world from Ruin's deadly Inquisitors, the insidious lethal mists called the Deepness and the increasingly heavy falls of black ash that threaten to bury the land and starve its inhabitants.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,255,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible