The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

The Hero of Ages (edition 2009)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:StephenBarkley
Title:The Hero of Ages
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2009), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 784 pages
Collections:Your library, @Kindle
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Epic

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

Recently added byechiz, ForeverMasterless, patb5, private library, teaholic, Eric.Amrhein, cherobula, paige.alden

English (133)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (137)
Man, what a ride this book was. While I quite enjoyed the previous two books, they weren't my favorite of Sanderson's work. Neither of them really wrapped themselves up neatly in the way that Elantris and Warbreaker did, instead reeking of setup to something more, which is partially why I liked those books more, but also goddamn is this series just so depressing to read. Nothing brings you down like the world dying a slow death and the heroes striving to achieve something that turns out to be the worst thing to do for two books in a row.

Add to that the fact that the second book is incredibly slow as well as being an emotionally draining depression fest and, well...I can kinda see how it took me so long to get around to book three even though I really liked the previous two books. And for a long time, this book was the worst of them for my emotions.

But man, it was so worth it. This book ties everything together. And I mean everything. Things you thought were just part of the world-building to give color to the setting have direct plot implications. This is the story of a world on the brink of destruction trying to fix itself, and every facet of these people's reality has a part to play. The different races, the history, the freaking everything are crucially important. Interactions between characters from the first book that seemed like relatively insignificant exercises in character building have world-changing consequences.

I'm just so amazed at the forethought on display here. It's obvious that Sanderson didn't just write the first book with a general idea of what happened next. He knew every freaking thing that was going to happen by the time that first book hit the shelves.

Before reading this book, I was skeptical about Sanderson's grand plans. He wants to eventually take the Mistborn world so far into the future that it becomes a space opera. But, man...I trust him so much more now. He probably already knows what those books will be about to an absurd degree of detail. ( )
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
Great ending to a great series. This is a fantasy series that doesn't overdo it with exposition and side stories and overly flowery medieval themed language. The series comes to a satisfying conclusion in the most exciting book of the three. Loved it. ( )
  meaghangray | Feb 26, 2017 |
this book is definitely one of my all time favorites. I'm crying and it's 2:30 in the morning and I have a university entrance exam tomorrow and I'm not ashamed. the ending was so beautiful and so sad and right now I'm a jumble of emotions. I really need to study so I probably won't get to the next book right away, but I'm really intrigued. this book seems to wrap things up nicely and I'm curious what else could happen in this world. I know the next books are taking place several hundred years after this book and I'm going to miss the original characters terribly... but there are some mysteries remaining that needs to be figured out. what are the two other metals and what can they possibly do?

i thought the journal entry sort of thing at the end of each chapter was written by vin but it turns out it was actually Sazed. I didn't see that coming. in fact I didn't see anything coming but that made me all the more hooked. I was not disappointed.

I'm exhausted and this review isn't making much sense so I'm ending it here. I Loved this book more than I thought I would and I can't wait to read the next book!! ( )
  bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |
“For now, I only wish to make a simple acknowledgement of the woman who held the power just before me.
Of all of us who touched it, I feel she was the most worthy.” - Sazed

I will certainly miss the characters in this series. They've grown one me , I can't help it. I was there every step of the way Brandon Sanderson's writing made me feel like I was there , a part of Kelsier's crew in their failures and victories. We've surely lost a lot along the way, fallen crew members nd soldiers but their sacrifices have been worth it in the end. The world reborn, the sky blue, the grass green and flowers blooming. I'm sure Mare would've loved it. Kelsier's dream of making hers possible finally happened. Clubs and Dockson would snort and smile, thinking it was all damn worth the trouble and Vin and Elend would finally be at the peace after finding the balance between the versions of themselves, knowing that for all their doubts , the world and the people of the empire they cared so much about made it. Sazed, Breeze and Spook will take care of this new world their friends died for. This final book in the trilogy was definitely and information overload at times , as it answered the questions from the first two books. I was hoping that we'd get more from Ham aside from his philosophical questions and military support but I think the surge of information made up for it, and he was finally able to make a conclusion on one of his questions.

“Somehow, we'll find it. The balance between whom we wish to be and whom we need to be. But for now, we simply have to be satisfied with who we are.” - Elend

Check out this awesome Mistborn artwork from BotanicaXu
click on her name to get a better view

description (less) ( )
  jethplain | Feb 5, 2017 |
The Hero of Ages is the third and final book of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. And what an end it is! The stakes for the final battle are quite clear. The world is literally ending. Having been tricked at the Well of Ascension, Vin has released a great evil on the world. The ashmounts are erupting constantly and plants are starting to die due to a heavy coating of ash and lack of sun. The ground is being rent apart by violent earthquakes and lava flows. The mists continue to kill. Life will soon be unsustainable. Vin and Elend must follow clues left by the Lord Ruler in the hope they can save the world.

While most authors who write stories like these leave hints and clues for the reader throughout their books, Sanderson is a master. Every single clue, no matter how small, that has been laid out since the beginning are tied together and explained. And they all work. Some of the clues I was able to figure out myself, some I missed entirely and a few I was completely wrong about. It was great fun to be kept guessing until the very end. He even leaves a couple tantalizing nuggets that I'm sure are going to feature in the next Mistborn series.

All the characters that we've come to know and love are back. It's plain to see just how events have changed them. A heavy sense of dread, frustration and helplessness influences all the characters, even the bad guys. Gone is the naive, scholarly Elend Venture and instead we're shown a ruler who is willing to do anything it takes to try and save his people, even if he's not sure what it is he should do. Vin is still quite the bad ass, though she has no idea how to fight a force of nature. Poor Sazed. I alternated between feeling badly for him and wanting to shake him out of his melancholy after he loses his faith. Some characters that had minor roles before are given bigger ones. Spook comes into his own. He grows from a shy, timid youth into a confident man and revolutionary. It's also interesting how we're shown with his character can happen to someone who over uses their allomantic power, what it does to their mind and body. Marsh, another background character, has been given more page time. Through Marsh we're given an inside look at what it's like to be an Inquisitor and just how awful Ruin's power is. I was also really glad to see the kandra TenSoon back. The kandra had really grown on me. I'm glad he had an important part to play.

The world building continues as well. Just when you think there isn't much more to learn, Sanderson proves you wrong. Turns out there's a third aspect of metal magic that's been in play all along. We're also given insight into just what the koloss and kandra are, which was fascinating.

As to the ending itself, it is quite bittersweet. So many reveals. So many twists and turns. I devoured the last 200 pages in about an hour it was so engaging. All story lines are resolved and it's absolutely brilliant. It is fully satisfying end to the trilogy even though I knew going in that not everyone would survive. It would not have felt authentic to the characters or the world had everything been a perfect, happy ending. That said, the story ends with hope and I cannot wait to read more in the Mistborn universe after the final book of the second series is written. ( )
  Narilka | Jan 21, 2017 |
Sanderson's conclusion to the epic that began with Mistborn and continued in Well of Ascension resonates with all the elements of classic heroic fantasy, along with unusual forms of magic and strong, believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Oct 15, 2008)

Sanderson pulls loose ends together, explains vague prophecies, and produces the Hero of Ages, and the Mistborn trilogy concludes satisfactorily.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Oct 1, 2008)

Sanderson's saga of consequences offers complex characters and a compelling plot, asking hard questions about loyalty, faith and responsibility.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 18, 2008)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Feder, MosheEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChristianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jordan Sanderson,
Who can explain to any who ask
What it's like to have a brother
Who spends most of his time dreaming.
(Thanks for putting up with me.)
Marsh struggled to kill himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356147, Mass Market Paperback)

Who is the Hero of Ages?

To end the Final Empire and restore freedom, Vin killed the Lord Ruler. But as a result, the Deepness---the lethal form of the ubiquitous mists---is back, along with increasingly heavy ashfalls and ever more powerful earthquakes. Humanity appears to be doomed.

Having escaped death at the climax of The Well of Ascension only by becoming a Mistborn himself, Emperor Elend Venture hopes to find clues left behind by the Lord Ruler that will allow him to save the world. Vin is consumed with guilt at having been tricked into releasing the mystic force known as Ruin from the Well. Ruin wants to end the world, and its near omniscience and ability to warp reality make stopping it seem impossible. She can’t even discuss it with Elend lest Ruin learn their plans!

The conclusion of the Mistborn trilogy fulfills all the promise of the first two books. Revelations abound, connections rooted in early chapters of the series click into place, and surprises, as satisfying as they are stunning, blossom like fireworks to dazzle and delight. It all leads up to a finale unmatched for originality and audacity that will leave readers rubbing their eyes in wonder, as if awaking from an amazing dream.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

Tricked into releasing the evil spirit Ruin while attempting to close the Well of Ascension, new emperor Elend Venture and his wife, the assassin Vin, are now hard-pressed to save the world from Ruin's deadly Inquisitors, the insidious lethal mists called the Deepness and the increasingly heavy falls of black ash that threaten to bury the land and starve its inhabitants.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,781,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible