The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

The Hero of Ages (edition 2009)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:StephenBarkley
Title:The Hero of Ages
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2009), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 784 pages
Collections:Your library, @Kindle
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Epic

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

English (107)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (109)
Sanderson brings the trilogy to a satisfying close, having laid all his clues faithfully and well. Moral conundrums are examined and resolved, logically and emotionally.

Notes: p.134, Demoux on Kelsier: "He had purpose -- he was driven to accomplish something the rest of the world thought impossible...He was granted great poser, and great wisdom, by a force that is above us all. That is why he accomplished what he did. That is why we worship him.. He still had the follies of a man, but he had the hopes of a divinity."
p. 154, Elend on exposing the army to the mist: "The problem isn't that those men died, but that I was so willing to make it happen... I didn't want to be the kind of leader who had to do things like this...I can hold this throne only because I know that at one point, I was willing to give it up in the name of what was right."
p. 186, Slowswift on Yoman: "He can make things happen...Ordinarily, that would be enought to have made him a good enough ruler. However, (not when the world is ending. Eend a man of vision and action)..Believers are often willing to attempt the seemingly impossible, then count on providence to see them through...That sort of behavior can be a weakness if the belief is misplaced."
p. 219, Sazed surprised that his atheist friends are offended when he loses his own faith and beliefs.
p. 273, TenSoon the kandra, concerned that his people had forgotten the point of the First Contract and the Trust and the Resolution: "The First Contract was a set of instructions. Actions to take when the world began to fall. Not just ceremony, andnot just metaphor. He knew that its contents frightened some fo the kandra. For them, it was better that the First Contract be a philosophical, abstract thing -- for if it were still concrete, still relevant, it wuld require great sacrifices of them."
p. 330, Elend on Vin: "He couldn't risk himself to save her." (how does trust differ from denial?)
p. 331, Cett to Elend, on the humane behavior of the soldiers: "A few years ago, I would have laughed at anyone who chose loyalty as a basis for rule. But, ...with the world falling apart as it is, I think even I would rather have someone to trust, as opposed to someone to fear."
p. 342, Sazed feels guilty for studying, even when it is useful, because he enjoys it.
p. 343, Breeze to Sazed: "Being in charg isn't about doing anything -- it's about making certain that other people do what they're supposed to!"
p. 343, Breeze to Sazed, on what Tindwyl loved him for: "if you give up what you want most for what you think you should want more, you'll just end up miserable...I just do what I'm good at."
Sazed's response: "And if what I want isn't what society needs? ... Sometimes, we just have do do what we don't enjoy."
p.393, Vin hearing Ruin's voice: "It wasn't so much a specific order as it was an attempt to change her inclinations."
p. 394, Ruin to Vin about Elend: "Good men will kill as quickly for what they want as evil men -- only the things they want are different....People with passion are people who will destroy.-- for a man's passion is not true until he proves how much he's willing to sacrifice for it. ... will he break and discard that which he has, all in the name of what he needs?"
p. 430, Sazed on his study of religions: "It was odd, how many common features they all had. Most claimed ultimate authority, denouncing other faiths. Most taught of an afterlife, but could offer no proof. Most taught about a god or gods, yet...had little justification for their teachings. And every single one of them was riddled with inconsistencies and logical fallacies. (additional examples)..If he believed, it meant that God ... had failed. Better to believe that there was nothing at all. Then, all of the world's inadequacies were simply mere change. Not caused by a god who had failed them."
p. 432, Sazed on belief: "That's what trust is..It's about giving someone else power over you. Power to hurt your...What is belief -- what is faith -- if you don't continue in it after failure...(Kelsier said) Better to trust and be betrayed. Better to love and be hurt. (looking for an answer) Do I have faith in this Ruin, but not in something better?" (receives a sign and an answer that causes everything to make sense; note that the old religious traditions become critical at the end of the book).
p. 468, "Who decided to use the neutral pronoun, so that we wouldn't know if the Hero was a woman or a man?"
p. 480, Haddek to Hazed: "you're searching for something that cannot be found...A religion that requires no faith of its believers...We trust that Preservation planned for this day, and that his desire to protect will prove more powerful than Ruin's desire to destroy." Sazed: "But you don't know. You are offered proof only once you believe, but if you believe, you can find proof in anything. It is a logical conundrum." Haddek: "Faith isn't about logic...We simply must believe it, and accept the things Preservation has taught us."
p. 504, Sazed remembers what Spook said: "That faith was about trust. Trusting that somebody was watching. That somebody would make it all right in the end, even though things looked terrible at the moment. -- To believe, it seemed, one had to want to believe...(it was up to him to decide if his proofs were chance or providence)...I sought help, and something answered."
p. 546, Vin about Elend: "Sh'd given Elend up to be his own man, to risk himself if he wished, and perhaps to die. She would always love him. But she would not cease to function because he was gone... The opposite, perhaps...Did Ruin think she would let their sacrifices be for nothing...He was the only reason she had left to live"
p. 547, Vin describes what Preservation intended and accomplished: "he needed to create humankind...he needed something of both Preservation and of Ruin...He always intended this to happen."
p. 551, Sazed: "Every religion had clues in it, for the faiths of men contained the hopes, loves, wishes, and lives of the people who had believed them...They weren't all true. But they all had truth." ( )
  librisissimo | Feb 10, 2015 |
I was struggling to stay interested in this one throughout. From the beginning, there is a threat of the world ending, and it doesn't really feel like the plot really moves towards resolving it for the majority of the novel. And what does happen moves frustratingly slow.

But I did like the focus on Sazed and Spook in this book. Both of them had interesting stories, especially the exploration of Sazed's loss of faith. I found that to be a very profound and interesting bit of character development, especially when his investigations were supplemented by outside examples.

I also liked the look into the Kandra culture. TenSoon was also a very interesting character, and the mystery of their culture, and what their role in the plot was, was pretty fantastic as well as somewhat horrific.

The ending to the novel hit me hard, especially since the story had dragged so long. I couldn't believe it surprised me so much, nor that I liked it as much as I did. I should probably give it 3 stars for the dragging parts, but that ending was awesome. ( )
  ConnieJo | Jan 23, 2015 |
A great fantasy novel and a great end to the trilogy. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I am not a giant fan of this book or this series. This one was slightly better than book 2, but not by much. I thought it really dragged, while at the same time, some aspects of the book seemed to move too fast. I did enjoy discovering some new things about the world and the ending itself was very satisfactory. However, I still think this series suffers from its original premise - a book designed around a badly flawed magic system. This whole book and series felt like it was written to delve into the magic system, but that really isn't enough to drive 3 long books. I understand the underlying plot is creation vs. destruction, but that's hardly a new idea. ( )
  Karlstar | Aug 13, 2014 |
A very satisfying finish to a truly entertaining series of books. I've read books that I've had deeper feelings for, but these make my list of books worth recommending to others. The endgame of these books took me completely by surprise, which is kind of hard to do, given the number of fantasies novels I've read and honed my trope identification skills on. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
Sanderson's conclusion to the epic that began with Mistborn and continued in Well of Ascension resonates with all the elements of classic heroic fantasy, along with unusual forms of magic and strong, believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Oct 15, 2008)

Sanderson pulls loose ends together, explains vague prophecies, and produces the Hero of Ages, and the Mistborn trilogy concludes satisfactorily.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Oct 1, 2008)

Sanderson's saga of consequences offers complex characters and a compelling plot, asking hard questions about loyalty, faith and responsibility.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 18, 2008)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Feder, MosheEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Jordan Sanderson,
Who can explain to any who ask
What it's like to have a brother
Who spends most of his time dreaming.
(Thanks for putting up with me.)
Marsh struggled to kill himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356147, Mass Market Paperback)

Who is the Hero of Ages?

To end the Final Empire and restore freedom, Vin killed the Lord Ruler. But as a result, the Deepness---the lethal form of the ubiquitous mists---is back, along with increasingly heavy ashfalls and ever more powerful earthquakes. Humanity appears to be doomed.

Having escaped death at the climax of The Well of Ascension only by becoming a Mistborn himself, Emperor Elend Venture hopes to find clues left behind by the Lord Ruler that will allow him to save the world. Vin is consumed with guilt at having been tricked into releasing the mystic force known as Ruin from the Well. Ruin wants to end the world, and its near omniscience and ability to warp reality make stopping it seem impossible. She can’t even discuss it with Elend lest Ruin learn their plans!

The conclusion of the Mistborn trilogy fulfills all the promise of the first two books. Revelations abound, connections rooted in early chapters of the series click into place, and surprises, as satisfying as they are stunning, blossom like fireworks to dazzle and delight. It all leads up to a finale unmatched for originality and audacity that will leave readers rubbing their eyes in wonder, as if awaking from an amazing dream.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:40 -0400)

Tricked into releasing the evil spirit Ruin while attempting to close the Well of Ascension, new emperor Elend Venture and his wife, the assassin Vin, are now hard-pressed to save the world from Ruin's deadly Inquisitors, the insidious lethal mists called the Deepness and the increasingly heavy falls of black ash that threaten to bury the land and starve its inhabitants.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,817,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible