The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

The Hero of Ages (edition 2009)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:StephenBarkley
Title:The Hero of Ages
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2009), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 784 pages
Collections:Your library, @Kindle
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Epic

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

English (116)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (120)
I thought this book was slightly weaker than the previous two, but still a great read It took a little while for me to get into it, but once I did, it did not disappoint. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
What an awesome end to an ingenious trilogy. The constant "how are we going to survive this?" feel of the book was kind of hard to get through at times, but it was all worth it in the end. All the set-up with Ruin was masterfully done. Sanderson kept surprising me; every time I thought I had something figured out, he would throw in another twist.

This was my second time reading this book, but it was like reading it for the first time. I remembered Vin and Elend dying and Sazed having a faith crisis, but I forgot EVERYTHING else. Spook's entire storyline. Sazed becoming God and fixing the world, not Vin. All that stuff with Ruin and Preservation. I can't believe I forgot so much about a book that I enjoyed so much. ( )
  AngelClaw | Jan 31, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book much more than the Well of Ascension. This book comes to a fanstacially sweeping avalanche finish, that I have come to expect out of Sanderson novels. I mean, so much so, you almost feel cheated that he doesn't spend more time on the ending. The fighting in the story was great, for every fight, and every character involved. The imagery was just great. This book wrapping up the story about Vin and the Dark Ages era in the Mistborn series brings everything together, such that it is my second favorite Sanderson series. So well done. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
The Hero of Ages is the third and final book in the Mistborn trilogy. I cannot give a summary of the book without revealing major spoilers for the earlier books in the series. The series basically starts where most fantasy series ends...what happens when the hero that has been prophesied about confronts the evil force and fails. In fact, what if he not only fails to destroy the evil force, but then becomes an evil dictator himself. The book covers themes of destiny and prophecy versus self determination, religion and faith, and what makes a good leader. The characters are deep with many shades of gray. No one is pure good or pure evil, even when they seem to be. And all of the characters grow through out the series. Sanderson has created a magic system that is unique with logical laws that govern its use. It was definitely one of the best fantasy series I have read in a long time. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
So far books 1 and 2 ([b:Mistborn: The Final Empire|68428|The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)|Brandon Sanderson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1437254833s/68428.jpg|66322] and [b:The Well of Ascension|68429|The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)|Brandon Sanderson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1421103323s/68429.jpg|2120474] respectively) of this trilogy have been solidly entertaining and imaginative. However, I was somewhat disappointed by the characters development which dampened my overall enthusiasm for the books a little. Don't get me wrong Brandon Sanderson knows the importance of characters development and puts a lot of effort into fleshing them out. Unfortunately (IMO!) the end result backfired a little, his two main protagonists turned out to be more colorless than an albino and more despondent than Marvin the Paranoid Android on a rainy day. So, I would allocate 4 stars a piece for books 1 & 2.

I am very glad to say that Sanderson brought his A game for this final volume. It is intricately plotted, surprising, exciting, passionate, unpredictable and even a little spiritual. The best thing about this series, as Sanderson fans will tell you is the "magic system". Personally I don't like term "magic system", it sounds like an oxymoron to me. Still, I can't think of a better term so I'll grudgingly go with it. The magical element in this series is more believable than any other I have read because it is very systematic. The author invented a set of rules and follows it rigidly and logically. The solid internal logic makes the series seem akin to hard sf at times.

The characterization is better in this book I am glad the two main characters Ellend and Vin have stopped moping around doubting their worthiness of being loved by the other party. There is a lot of that in book 2 where I found the romantic aspect to be very tedious. Unfortunately Sazed, the third most important character in the series almost ruined the book by taking up the despondency and spends most of the book whining and self-doubting, waiting for that moment of epiphany when he pulls himself together and become a force to be reckoned with. The author seems to be very keen on exploring the theme of self-realization or self-discovery hence the "good" characters are often questioning themselves. Of course, the characters wearing the black hats are always sure they are doing the right thing so they just get on with it! I like that about them. Still, there are some interesting and perceptive observations about human nature, especially how deposers of tyrants tend to become tyrants themselves.

Minor complaints aside this is clearly the best book of the series with an unpredictable, humdinger of a climax. The action scenes are very skillfully written with Sanderson displaying an impressive visual writing talent. It certainly deserves a 5 stars rating in my humble opinion. The entire series as a whole is a 4.5 for me. The author himself is pure gold and I look forward to reading his other books, [b:The Way of Kings|7235533|The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)|Brandon Sanderson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388184640s/7235533.jpg|8134945] and whatnot. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
Sanderson's conclusion to the epic that began with Mistborn and continued in Well of Ascension resonates with all the elements of classic heroic fantasy, along with unusual forms of magic and strong, believable characters.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Oct 15, 2008)

Sanderson pulls loose ends together, explains vague prophecies, and produces the Hero of Ages, and the Mistborn trilogy concludes satisfactorily.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Oct 1, 2008)

Sanderson's saga of consequences offers complex characters and a compelling plot, asking hard questions about loyalty, faith and responsibility.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 18, 2008)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Feder, MosheEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChristianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jordan Sanderson,
Who can explain to any who ask
What it's like to have a brother
Who spends most of his time dreaming.
(Thanks for putting up with me.)
Marsh struggled to kill himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356147, Mass Market Paperback)

Who is the Hero of Ages?

To end the Final Empire and restore freedom, Vin killed the Lord Ruler. But as a result, the Deepness---the lethal form of the ubiquitous mists---is back, along with increasingly heavy ashfalls and ever more powerful earthquakes. Humanity appears to be doomed.

Having escaped death at the climax of The Well of Ascension only by becoming a Mistborn himself, Emperor Elend Venture hopes to find clues left behind by the Lord Ruler that will allow him to save the world. Vin is consumed with guilt at having been tricked into releasing the mystic force known as Ruin from the Well. Ruin wants to end the world, and its near omniscience and ability to warp reality make stopping it seem impossible. She can’t even discuss it with Elend lest Ruin learn their plans!

The conclusion of the Mistborn trilogy fulfills all the promise of the first two books. Revelations abound, connections rooted in early chapters of the series click into place, and surprises, as satisfying as they are stunning, blossom like fireworks to dazzle and delight. It all leads up to a finale unmatched for originality and audacity that will leave readers rubbing their eyes in wonder, as if awaking from an amazing dream.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

Tricked into releasing the evil spirit Ruin while attempting to close the Well of Ascension, new emperor Elend Venture and his wife, the assassin Vin, are now hard-pressed to save the world from Ruin's deadly Inquisitors, the insidious lethal mists called the Deepness and the increasingly heavy falls of black ash that threaten to bury the land and starve its inhabitants.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,082,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible