This Is Who I Am: Our Beauty in All Shapes…

This Is Who I Am: Our Beauty in All Shapes and Sizes (edition 2008)

by Rosanne Olson (Photographer)

Member:50MinuteMermaid
Title:This Is Who I Am: Our Beauty in All Shapes and Sizes
Authors:Rosanne Olson
Info:Artisan (2008), Hardcover, 116 pages
Tags:to-read

This Is Who I Am: Our Beauty in All Shapes and Sizes by Rosanne Olson (Photographer)

My daughter is very curious about her body. This book is a beautiful collection of women's stories and their bodies - how different, how similar, how beautiful - just as they are. We enjoyed talking through this book, but I would not recommend for classroom learning. Well, maybe present in a different manner with older, all female students. All should read this book to help with positive, body images. Beautifully done.
  Womanwellread | Aug 21, 2017 |
This is truly an extraordinary book. Rosanne Olson's photos of nude women, with a commentary from each woman about how they feel about their body, shows that beauty does indeed come in all shapes and sizes. Olson's work not only makes the reader think about her attitude towards her body, it also makes the point that media (and society) have done women wrong by expecting us to live up to impossible standards. ( )
  AuntieClio | Nov 10, 2013 |
A beautiful and inspiring collection of fifty-four photographic portraits, each paired with a brief response about self-image and the body from the woman depicted. This Is Who I Am presents a diverse group, with women of African, Asian, and Euro-American backgrounds, and autobiographical comments ranging from positive confidence to insecure unhappiness. Many different kinds of bodies are represented, from very thin to very fat, young to old, healthy to ill.

I found much here to identify with, much to admire, and am grateful to the friend who pointed it out to me. Many of the stories were very moving, from Gretchen, a breast-cancer survivor who always liked the strength of her body and chose not to have reconstructive surgery; to Reachel, a two-time rape victim who is determined not to "live timidly, to be afraid or ashamed." Some of the responses were quite humorous, as when eighty-year-old Constance confessed that she dealt with some of her more insufferable male colleagues over the years by imagining them pregnant; or seventy-four-year-old Dee, who wondered how much she'd weigh if she still had her tonsils, adenoids, appendix, uterus, one ovary, and the two inches of height she lost to osteoporosis.

Loti, one of the African-American women surveyed, said she thought that body-image problems were part of a more Eurocentric world-view; but many of the Asian woman in the collection reported that American ideals of feminine beauty were not as stringent as those from their mother cultures. Whatever its cultural origin(s) however, the unhappiness caused by unattainable ideals of feminine beauty quickly becomes clear to the reader, as almost every woman surveyed was in some fashion dissatisfied with her body, even the very thin ones. This is an effective and timely reminder that an image-based sense of self is NEVER a secure one, because the ideal to which we are all meant to aspire is an illusion. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 20, 2013 |
This outstanding book should be read by all women, young and old. Courageous women of all ages, shapes, and sizes posed nude (or nearly) and talked about their bodies - what they love, what they hate, their body issues. Very tastefully done. Absolutely phenomenal! ( )
  Somer | May 21, 2010 |
You owe it to yourself to find and spend time with this book.

This is Who I Am is a collection of nude photographs of women, with those women talking about their bodies and how they live in them. They are women in all sorts of relationships with their bodies, at all sorts of points in their lives. It's beautiful, and heartwarming and heartbreaking, all at once. ( )
  paperkingdoms | Apr 17, 2008 |

Olson, RosannePhotographerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Charon, Ritamain authorall editionsconfirmed

Fifty-four portraits of women that are striking, beautiful, and real. The bodies in this book have been shaped by the full sweep of the feminine experience.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,727,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible