The Bourne Sanction by Robert / Lustbader…

The Bourne Sanction (edition 2009)

by Robert / Lustbader Ludlum, Eric

Series: Bourne (6)

Member:bane47
Title:The Bourne Sanction
Authors:Robert / Lustbader Ludlum, Eric
Info:Grand Central Pub 2009-05-01 (2009), Edition: First Edition, Paperback
Tags:2012

The Bourne Sanction by Eric Van Lustbader

English (10)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
Jason Bourne returns to Georgetown University and the mild world of his alter ego, David Webb, hoping for normalcy. But after so many adrenaline-soaked years of risking his life, Bourne finds himself chafing under the quiet life of a linguistics professor. Aware of his frustrations, his academic mentor, Professor Specter, asks for help investigating the murder of a former student by a previously unknown Muslim extremist sect. The young man died carrying information about the group's terrorist activities, including an immediate plan to attack the United States. The organization, the Black Legion, and its lethal plot have also popped up on the radar of Central Intelligence, where new director Veronica Hart is struggling to assert her authority. Sensing an opportunity to take control of CI by showing Hart's incompetence, National Security Agency operatives plan to accomplish what CI never could-hunt down and kill Bourne. In Europe, Bourne's investigation into the Black Legion turns into one of the deadliest and most tangled operations of his double life-the pursuit of the leader of a murderous terrorist group with roots in the darkest days of World War II-all while an assassin as brilliant and damaged as himself is getting closer by the minute . . . ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
30-12-2012
Re-reading this book. Not because it is so very good, but because I lost track of the Bourne story. Got the latest for my birthday this year and I wanted to read them (the ones by Van Lustbader) in order because movies and Ludlum's versions keep getting in the way of getting a good clear view om what happened when and why with what reason or consequence.

01-01-2013
After reading it again, I tried to make sense of it once again. And, starting with the Bourne books that Ludlum wrote, I just couldn't. As far as I can recall (have to re-read the last book of the trilogy to be absolutely sure, but please correct me if I'm wrong!), Bourne was around 57 when either the 3rd book started, or ended.
The book I'm reviewing now, takes place one year AFTER the book before this, and when I draw a linear line from Ludlum-Bourne to Lustbader-Bourne, the character must at least be 58, most likely even older.
And, despite films like Expendables etc. I do not really see a man, no matter how fit, pull the stunts that Bourne does in this book.

Okay, this book is a work of fiction, but this age thing bothers me nonetheless.
And I'm also bothered by the written out fighting scenes. they look / read like they could be copy-pasted from a film script. They feel very unreal and I must admit that when the next scene came, that I applied a form of speed reading...

The amount of stars stays the same, it was an okay book, but certainly not more than that!

december 2009
The synopsis at the back side of the book said it right: this work has nothing to do anymore with the original trilogy that Ludlum wrote about Jason Bourne.

Bourne is again (on of) the main character(s) in this book. But I did not find it as addictive as the first three books that were written by Ludlum.
Sometimes Bourne's past is mentioned, but I miss the confused Bourne, who tries to put together the memory flashes with reality as he lives it. He is now 'only' looking for some terrorist organisation that has roots in WW II, in a way like any other special forces man would do.
He is still being deceived by his friend / the man who hires him, but rather far-fetched in my opinion. I will not disclose any of the contents because that would spoil the fun for other readers.

For me this Bourne book was not as catching, because it was written 'in the ordinary way', without saying that Van Lustbader is a poor writer, or that I can do better. There was no surprize element, no big or sudden twist of fate, the story went on and on and on and then it ended.

What made Bourne special to me was his loss of memory and identity and all the things that came from that, his desperate search for 'him' alongside protecting the new family he had founded with Marie.

Now he has become a loner, not comfortable in his university job, but also not quite Bourne anymore. He doesn't raise his children, Marie is dead, there's nothing that ties him to life. The way the character of Bourne has developed over the books makes this book for me te be '13 in a dozen'. Not bad, but certainly not very special too. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
The series is getting dull and boring. It remains to be seen if I continue on in it, other than as mindless summer reading. ( )
  Romis78 | Jun 23, 2012 |
Very good follow-up utilizing Ludlow's character/plot device. Unacceptable proofing errors for a series of this brand!! ( )
  ClifSven | Jun 1, 2012 |
It's testament to how much I enjoyed this book that I still haven't actually finished it. I have about five pages left to read and it's just sat on a table waiting to be finished. I think I might have stopped caring about Jason Bourne. ( )
  cathymoore | Jan 3, 2012 |
Džejson Born vraća se na Univerzitet Džordžtaun kao Dejvid Veb i nada se normalnom životu. Međutim, nakon mnogo godina ispunjenih avanturama i opasnošću, miran život profesora lingvistike ubrzo će mu dosaditi. Svestan muke u kojoj se Born našao, njegov mentor moli ga za pomoć u istrazi ubistva nekadašnjeg studenta koji je stradao u terorističkoj akciji. Međutim, na radaru Centralne obaveštajne službe takođe se pojavila vest o dotad nepoznatoj organizaciji poznatoj kao Crna legija i njenom planu da u narednih nedelju dana izvede veliki napad u Sjedinjenim Državama. Dok se nova direktorka CO-a, Veronika Hart, bori da zadrži autoritet, nekoliko agenata agencije planira da učini ono što nikome ranije nije pošlo za rukom – da uhvati i ubije Džejsona Borna. I ne znajući, Born je uvučen jednu od najsmrtonosnijih i najzamršenijih operacija u životu.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Information from the Serbian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
While the four inmates waited for Borya Maks to appear, they lounged against filthy stone walls whose cold no longer affected them.
Who is David Webb?
"The Bourne Sanction" is the same book as "Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Sanction"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:35 -0400)

"Jason Bourne must confront a nightmare version of himself--an amoral, heartless killer--in this new novel in Robert Ludlum's bestselling series"--Provided by publisher.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,676,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible