The Outlaws of Sherwood (Firebird) by Robin…

The Outlaws of Sherwood (Firebird) (original 1988; edition 2002)

by Robin McKinley

Member:luaths
Title:The Outlaws of Sherwood (Firebird)
Authors:Robin McKinley
Info:Puffin (2002), Paperback, 352 pages

The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley (1988)

I've tried to read this book five times and I just can't get past the first twenty pages; I give up.
  jen.e.moore | Oct 30, 2018 |
Usually I quite like McKinley's retellings, but this one I found remarkably boring. ( )
  JBD1 | Nov 27, 2017 |
I admit, I struggled with finishing this one. I kept having to say to my mom 'it's not bad, but, I don't know...' To be honest, I do know that a part of my dissatisfaction with this book was that I'd just finished the King Raven trilogy and comparatively this one does fall a little flat as a Robin Hood retelling. That said, it was a good book despite it's flaws.
Mostly, it’s flaws were that it was dry. I realise that this might just be Robin Mckinley’s writing but then I remembered that she wrote Sunshine so, no, that’s not it at all. The characters had a tendency to feel very lifeless with sparks of life every so often. It made for an interesting read because I would keep waiting for those sparks of life - and they did come it was just slow in coming.
I mean, this was a good take on Robin Hood. I really did like it, I just didn’t like it’s set up. The scene in the very beginning when Marian and Much were convincing Robin to live in the forest seemed so forced. Once we got through the forced introduction the story began to settle into itself and admittedly the second half is much better than the first - it just had a really really rocky start.
I appreciated all of the female characters that were added in to Robin Hood’s band. I loved her take on Marian’s involvement with everything and how basically everyone was a better archer than Robin himself. She removed the mysticism from the story and showed it more as a deconstruction. Showing a barer story that could perhaps be what the more mystical stories draw from.
I enjoyed the book in the end, though. The ending wasn’t the most satisfying ending to a book ever, but it sufficed. Basically, I feel like I just really liked the middle up to the very last chapter. So my feelings generally are pretty mixed because I didn’t mislike the book, it just did have some flaws that are difficult to overlook. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
A Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham retelling; excellent focus on the strength of character of Marian and the humbler Robin. Good portrayal of the Saxon / Norman hostilities and the poor government of the day. I didn't like the denouement and judgement of the Sherwood Forest outlaws engendered by Richard The LionHeart. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 19, 2017 |
I enjoyed seeing Robin as a fallible, preoccupied character, separate from the myth around him, but also given a historical context that made sense. The ensemble of characters around him was also well done. Given the fact that my prior experience of Robin Hood involved Disney and foxes, Reading this was a welcome change ( )
  ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |

who saved it,
to
R.W.,
who saved me
A small vagrant breeze came from nowhere and barely flicked the feather tip as the arrow sped on its way.

WANTED FOR TREASON:
    ROBIN OF SHERWOOD

Robin McKinley brings to life the classic tale of Robin Hood and reveals the legendary characters as they must have been:
flesh-and-blood outlaws who risked the gallows and the sword for the sake of justice ....
... let the rich and wicked beware!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441644511, Mass Market Paperback)

The classic tale of Robin Hood gets a new lift as real flesh-and-blood outlaws, on the lam from the gallows and the sword, fight for the sake of justice. Robin and his merry cohorts swing through the forest in these fresh additions to the timeless stories. HC: Greenwillow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

The author retells the adventures of Robin Hood and his band of outlaws who live in Sherwood Forest in twelfth-century England.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,715,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible