Meeting God: Elements of Hindu Devotion by…

Meeting God: Elements of Hindu Devotion

by Stephen P. Huyler

Other authors: Thomas Moore (Foreword)

lavishly illustrated with color plates, visually stunning
  PhaedraB | Oct 22, 2016 |
I love this book. It is an enjoyable read, the pictures are great, and there is a lot of info in this book. There are so many interesting little bits of information, and I learned a lot! ( )

Stephen P. Huylerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moore, ThomasForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0300089058, Paperback)

An anthropologist-turned-believer, Stephen Huyler has dared to cross the line of objectivity and produce an introduction to Hindu religion that combines first-person detail with reverential admiration. Ten years in the making, Meeting God is the culmination of Huyler's travels throughout the Indian subcontinent, documenting in vivid photographs the panoply of Hindu devotional practices. What distinguishes Meeting God is its intimacy--through his glossy color photos and vignettes of individual Hindus practicing their rituals, he takes the reader into a world that pulses with the power of faith. The crux of the book is puja, daily devotional practices that anchor Hindus in the divinity of the universe, whether that person is a farmer, carpenter, engineer, or housewife. The remarkable array of different puja don't seem to interfere with modern life in India, and, as Huyler insists, actually enhance it. Given the vacuity of meaning in our own modern world, each page of Meeting God is an inspiration to deepen life. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:47 -0400)

This volume seeks to enable western readers to witness the devotional practices of the Hindu people. It features photographs documenting the spirituality of common men and women in India, accompanied by definitions, descriptions and stories of Hindu individuals at worship.… (more)

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300089058, 0300079834

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,476,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible