The Road to Oz by Frank L. Baum

The Road to Oz (original 1909; edition 2008)

by Frank L. Baum

Member:CrayolaCrayon
Title:The Road to Oz
Authors:Frank L. Baum
Info:IndyPublish (2008), Hardcover, 144 pages

The Road to Oz by L. Frank Baum (1909)

Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: If you enjoy the camaraderie of the friends on a series of adventures with magic things popping up but want something better written and more adult, give the Silverberg a try.

This is probably my favorite of the OZ books. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 16, 2015 |
Reread Summer 2004 from Gutenberg
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
By some odd chance I can't explain, when I was really young the only Oz book I had was The Road to Oz. I had seen the Wizard of Oz movie, but I did not read the book until later, so Road was my introduction to Oz, and I am still very fond of its characters like the Shaggy Man and Johnny Doit.-though I now think Baum's statement that pretty little girls are never harmed by shaggy tramps could be dangerous. Even Allegro da Capo, the human musicmaker, still amuses me. The culminating birthday party may seem trivial compared to the climaxes of some of the stories, but it introduced me to Baum's non-Oz characters Who apper as guests, and I later hunted up those books too and enjoyed them. ( )
  antiquary | Feb 9, 2014 |
I really need to stop expecting these to have a plot, rather than a series of adventures culminating in someone going home again, but this one seemed even slighter than usual and I'm afraid just didn't do it for me. I didn't connect to the new characters (though delighted a little when old friends showed up), and nothing really happened. At least there were cannibals. (Well, I suppose they weren't technically cannibals. People-eaters, then.) ( )
  rrainer | Sep 20, 2013 |
I was a fan with the Oz series growing up, and it's great to know I'm still a fan as an adult! I love revisiting these books, they truly are timeless! ( )
  bereneezypie | Apr 26, 2013 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neill, John ReaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my first grandson Joslyn Stanton Baum
"Please, miss," said the shaggy man, "can you tell me the road to Butterfield?"
Please do not combine L. Frank Baum's The Road to Oz with the Little Golden Book adaptation of the same title, or with other abridgments, young reader's editions, anthologies, etc. Thank you.

Dorothy and Toto are off again on an exciting adventure down The Road to Oz!

In order to help the lovable, ever-wandering Shaggy Man, Dorothy and Toto must journey through magical and mysterious lands. Soon the three are joined by a lost lad named Button-Bright and the beautiful young Polychromethe Rainbow's Daughter. With magic at work and danger about, these new friends must journey through cities of talking beasts, across the Deadly Desert into the Truth Pond, and through many other strange and incredible places before they can reach the Emerald City.

Along the way, Dorothy and her companions encounter a whole new assortment of fantastic and funny characters--the crafty King Dox of Foxville, the magical donkey King Kik-a-bray, the terrible bigheaded Scoodlers, and Johnny Dooit (who can do anything)--along with old friends Jack Pumpkinhead, Tik-tok, Billina, and, of course, the Tin Woodman, the Cowardly Lion, the Scarecrow, and the wonderful Wizard himself.

The Road to Oz is the fifth adventure in the magical Land of Oz. For the first time since the original 1909 edition, this stunning new facsimile edition illustrates Dorothy's fantastic adventures on different colors of paper reflecting where she and her friends are on the road to Oz. Featuring all of John R. Neill's 126 striking pen-and-ink drawings, this handsome deluxe edition is one to be treasured for years to come.

Afterword by Peter Glassman. This deluxe facsimile of the fifth Oz adventure reunites Dorothy and her friends for Princess Ozma's glorious birthday party. For the first time since the original 1909 edition, the 126 masterful illustrations are printed on colored papers, exactly as the author intended. A Books of Wonder Classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

Dorothy and her friends follow the enchanted road to Oz and arrive in time for Ozma's birthday party.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,422,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible