The Road to Oz by Frank L. Baum
Member:CrayolaCrayon
Title:The Road to Oz
Authors:Frank L. Baum
Info:IndyPublish (2008), Hardcover, 144 pages

The Road to Oz by L. Frank Baum (1909)

Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: If you enjoy the camaraderie of the friends on a series of adventures with magic things popping up but want something better written and more adult, give the Silverberg a try.

(see copy-1) ( )
  librisissimo | Jun 18, 2016 |
By this time, Baum was desperately trying to get out of the job of Royal Historian of Oz. This volume phones it in, checking the boxes readers expected. Even so, there are some delightful inventions, and traces of Baum's characteristic quiet satire.
NOTES: p. 24 Shaggy Man tells a story about the nature of bears (and lies about how he got the Love Magnet); p55 the Fox King disputes Aesop's depiction of them in the fables (a start on PC, as they others do not dispute him "because he ought to know the nature of foxes better than men did"; p. 110 the Scoodlers do love the Shaggy Man - in soup; p 165 The Tin Woodman affirms that they have no use for money in OZ, "for what one wishes the others all try to give him, in order to hake him happy, and no one in all Oz cares to have more than he can use." -- a celestial ideal impossible in the world.
p. 168 one of his punning jokes "the Rainbow's daughter missed her mist-cakes, by a mistake Miss Polly's mist-cakes were mislaid and not missed until now."
p. 170 on Tik-tok (surely one of the earliest depictions of robots?) and that one can be respected without being loved: "Perhaps it is better to be a machine that does its duty than a flesh-and-blood person who will not, for a dead truth is better than a live falsehood."
p 180: unknown word: "It's a very slimpsy affair altogether, that bear rug (brought to life)";
p. 185 Hungry Tiger asking Dorothy not to reveal that he doesn't eat fat babies: "you'll ruin my reputation if you are not more discreet. It is n't what we are, but what folks think we are, that counts in this world." (but they don't have money!)
p. 195 despite Baum's populism every republican is at heart an aristocrat-enabler: "it was easy to see that Polychrome was used to splendid palaces and was therefore entitled to special attention" (same in Freckles and George MacDonald's books).

p. 208 Shaggy Man's true story of stealing the Love Magnet from a girl who was being quarreled over by the young men but when she lost it only her true love remained.
p. 217 the Scarecrow points out that the ignorant child Button-Bright isn't necessarily named for a polished button, but perhaps one covered in dull cloth.
p. 250 the Winkie band plays "There's No Plate like Tin" at the birthday party for Ozma.

p. 265 in the Aferward, Peter Glassman draws attention to the place in the book where the fox-captain commends Button-Bright for asking questions Because if you don't ask questions you will learn nothing." and calls him very clever indeed (although BB doesn'r ever seem to learn from the answers. ( )
  librisissimo | Jun 17, 2016 |
When a shaggy traveler asks Dorothy Gale the way to Butterfield, the helpful young Kansas girl sets out to show him the way, only to find herself caught up in another magical adventure when the road inexplicably shifts, leading her and her companion into fairyland. Soon meeting Button Bright, a beautiful but not-so-clever toddler, as well as Polychrome, the lost daughter of the rainbow, the companions slowly make their way closer and closer to Oz, hoping to attend Ozma's upcoming birthday celebration. On their way they encounter a kingdom of foxes, a society of donkeys, and a group of sinister Scoodlers. With the help of magical jack-of-all-trades Jonny Dooit, they manage to cross the great desert surrounding Oz, and are soon on their way to the Emerald City, there to witness the pomp and ceremony of Ozma's great celebration...

Originally published in 1909, this fifth Oz book from L. Frank Baum is quite interesting for the author's fans (more on that anon), although not one of the stronger Oz stories, judged on its own merits. Despite his 'love magnet,' I have always had troubling taking the Shaggy Man as much to heart as I wanted to - he always seems as if he should be more endearing than he is - and have always found Button Bright distinctly annoying. Polychrome is an appealing character, but as is often the case with Baum, she is underdeveloped. The story is somewhat disjointed, and its eventual object - getting the travelers to the Emerald City for Ozma's birthday - never feels particularly compelling. That said, I was charmed by the multicolored paper used for this facsimile edition of the book - a tribute to Polychrome, perhaps? - and enjoyed picking out all the references to Baum's other works, in the attendees at Ozma's party. There are figures from other Oz stories, from the Royal family of Ev (Ozma of Oz) to the Braided Man (Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz), as well as characters from non-Oz fantasies, like Queen Zixi of Ix, Dot and Tot in Merryland, John Dough and the Cherub, and The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus. Despite the pleasure of identifying these characters, The Road to Oz is only a low three-star read for me, and would probably only merit two, were I not sentimentally attached to it, after reading it in childhood. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | May 2, 2016 |
As I continue to read these books as an adult I am shocked by what Baum has gotten away with as an author. Some of the spark that I had for this series as a child is quickly leaving as I realize some of the mechanics that he uses as an author that I simply am not fond of or even okay with. He often calls people or things stupid in his books. He belittles frequently and he continues to do that in this book. He also doesn't seem to be that respectful for the most part to his actual fans. It becomes more apparent as you continue to read that has is increasingly becoming annoyed with having to write about Oz all the time, even though he keeps saying at the beginning of the books that he is doing this for the children.

This book has several introductions of characters to Oz. Polychrome, the Rainbow's daughter, happens to be one of the more interesting ones introduced. The Shaggy Man also seems to be a rather interesting character as well and I hope that he is continued to be used throughout the series.

Baum again makes the majority of the book next take place in oz proper and then suddenly we are in oz. Baum found a formula that he likes to use because he wanted to tell other stories. In this book he even makes a point to almost advertise all these other books that he created by who attends the party at the end. These other stories he created show up and to me that was not needed because of how many characters already inhabit the land of oz itself.

Maybe as a grown up individual I can no longer appreciate these books the same way I could as a child. Sometimes we have to recognize that we have outgrown something that we once loved. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
This is probably my favorite of the OZ books. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 16, 2015 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neill, John ReaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my first grandson Joslyn Stanton Baum
"Please, miss," said the shaggy man, "can you tell me the road to Butterfield?"
Please do not combine L. Frank Baum's The Road to Oz with the Little Golden Book adaptation of the same title, or with other abridgments, young reader's editions, anthologies, etc. Thank you.

Dorothy and Toto are off again on an exciting adventure down The Road to Oz!

In order to help the lovable, ever-wandering Shaggy Man, Dorothy and Toto must journey through magical and mysterious lands. Soon the three are joined by a lost lad named Button-Bright and the beautiful young Polychromethe Rainbow's Daughter. With magic at work and danger about, these new friends must journey through cities of talking beasts, across the Deadly Desert into the Truth Pond, and through many other strange and incredible places before they can reach the Emerald City.

Along the way, Dorothy and her companions encounter a whole new assortment of fantastic and funny characters--the crafty King Dox of Foxville, the magical donkey King Kik-a-bray, the terrible bigheaded Scoodlers, and Johnny Dooit (who can do anything)--along with old friends Jack Pumpkinhead, Tik-tok, Billina, and, of course, the Tin Woodman, the Cowardly Lion, the Scarecrow, and the wonderful Wizard himself.

The Road to Oz is the fifth adventure in the magical Land of Oz. For the first time since the original 1909 edition, this stunning new facsimile edition illustrates Dorothy's fantastic adventures on different colors of paper reflecting where she and her friends are on the road to Oz. Featuring all of John R. Neill's 126 striking pen-and-ink drawings, this handsome deluxe edition is one to be treasured for years to come.

Afterword by Peter Glassman. This deluxe facsimile of the fifth Oz adventure reunites Dorothy and her friends for Princess Ozma's glorious birthday party. For the first time since the original 1909 edition, the 126 masterful illustrations are printed on colored papers, exactly as the author intended. A Books of Wonder Classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

Dorothy and her friends follow the enchanted road to Oz and arrive in time for Ozma's birthday party.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,842,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible