Revealers by Amanda Marrone

Revealers by Amanda Marrone

RATING: 2.5 stars.

Meh. So-so. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
I might give this 3 1/2 stars if that were a possibility. It is not without flaws, but overall, the book was still enjoyable. There was a long buildup to the point when Julia discovers the secrets of coven and the 18th birthday initiations, but the events that followed came too quickly. I would have liked to have seen more exploration of how Dani came to accept her new identity, and there could have been a more indepth look at why and how the girls come to trust each other and Dani, and eventually, their mothers, again. I'm not sure if there is a follow-up book or not. It seems possible, and maybe this is why the ending was tied up quickly, reserving some plot lines and character development for book two? ( )
  Dawno13 | Feb 5, 2010 |
Reviewed by Lynn Crow for TeensReadToo.com

While Jules complains about the superficial rules of her coven -- always fly home, wear cloaks not coats -- it's never occurred to her to question the larger issues.

How could vampires and werewolves be anything but bad? And how could the coven's mission to reveal and destroy such monsters be wrong?

But as Jules's eighteenth birthday approaches, she sees the other girls in the coven turn angry and frightened as they're fully initiated. How much is there that their mothers haven't told them? Why is her best friend, Dani, so upset that she's determined to run away? And what's up with the visions of demons some of the girls are having?

The more Jules finds out, the more certain she is that it's no longer time to accept what the older generation has to say -- it's time to fight for their lives.

REVEALERS is a spooky, suspenseful read, with a unique paranormal world. Readers will enjoy Jules's no-nonsense attitude and applaud her courage in trying to protect her friends and do what's right. Though the pacing sometimes seems rushed, the many plot surprises will keep them guessing until the very end, and the conclusion is hopeful without being pat.

Recommended to fans of the supernatural. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 12, 2009 |
If you read Amanda Marrone's first book, Uninvited, and found it to be lacking in substance, have no fear: Revealers is 10x's better, the characters are more interesting and developed, the plot is intricate and compelling, and the light touch of romance is much, much better. In other words, if you, like me, were unhappy with her first novel, I promise that you NEED to read Revealers!
Revealers is a story filled with paranormal activity-- witches, demons, ghosts, vampires, and shapeshifters of all sorts. Add to that the characters, which are much more dynamic than Uninvited's 2D characters;the witty and sarcastic humor; the mystery and suspense that comes into play during most of the first half but continues a bit into the last half when they finally realize what their coven has been up to all these years; and yes, even a slight touch of romance towards the end, and you have, in my opinion, a great teen fantasy book that can be enjoyed by adults too.

But Be warned: Even though it is geared towards a younger audience, I wouldn't pass it on to just any teen, especially under the age of 15 or so, due to the fact that they do swear a fair amount *F-Word included!* and there are a few scenes that may be inappropriate for younger kids. But if you can get past these 'flaws', the story line itself is amazing.

5/5 STARS! A spectacular story, one that I would recommend to every fantasy/paranormal fan. I hope that Marrone continues to write more books that are just as wonderful as Revealers! I would love to read more about Jules' world and what will happen next. ( )
1 vote The_Book_Queen | Nov 6, 2008 |
To Nina Nelson, Pam Foarde, and Kelsey Johnson Defatte for support above and beyond the call of duty! I couldn't have done this without you--
I wake and turn to my window.

By night, four teen witches hunt and destroy such monsters as vampires, werewolves, and ghosts. By day they must deal with high school cliques, crushes, and the inner secrets of their coven.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible