The Strange Files of Fremont Jones: A…

The Strange Files of Fremont Jones: A Fremont Jones Mystery (Fremont Jones… (edition 1996)

by Dianne Day

Member:Storeetllr
Title:The Strange Files of Fremont Jones: A Fremont Jones Mystery (Fremont Jones Mysteries)
Authors:Dianne Day
Info:Crimeline (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Wishlist

The Strange Files of Fremont Jones by Dianne Day

When her father marries a woman who she dislikes Caroline Jones brings forward her plans to live an unconventional life. Determined not to marry because of the way it diminishes the role of the woman, she moves from Boston to San Francisco, changes her name to a gender-neutral Fremont and sets up a business as a typist. And it is that business, plus a fascination with Sherlock Holmes, that introduces Fremont to the role of amateur deduction as she becomes involved in investigating several mysteries that her clients seem to be caught up in. One customer leaves a series of gothic horror stories which he claims to be true for her to type and then disappears, while another is killed shortly after Fremont types a curious document for him.

I enjoyed the depiction of San Francisco in the early 1900′s as a place for adventurers and dreamers and the overall inclusion of period details was well done too. The picture painted of a town at a time of change and flux included things like the adoption of new technologies such as the telephone and electricity and it was very engaging.

For me the rest of the book was not as successful. The blurb on my copy suggested it would be suitable for fans of Elizabeth Peters whose character, Amelia Peabody, does share some traits with Fremont Jones. However I found the writing here more stiff and lacking the underlying sense of humour that Peters conveys with her similarly strident and forward-thinking protagonist. There was also too much focus on a fairly implausible romance between Fremont and her first client for my tastes. The use of the first person narrative and Day’s penchant for exclamation points at the end of innocuous sentences contributed to the impression the entire tale was being told by a breathless teenager seeing intrigue where none exists. In all then the book was a bit more of a melodramatic suspense than I enjoy reading but there are plenty of readers who would disagree, including those who awarded the novel a Macavity award for best first novel in 1996. ( )
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
This, the first in the Fremont Jones series, is a historical mystery set in San Francisco previous to the great earthquake of 1906.

Fremont Jones is an independent young woman from Boston, who, in order to escape her intrefering step-mother, establlishes her own typing business in far-away San Francisco.

When handsome lawyer Justin Cameron hires her, he causes her pulse to quicken and her head to whirl, creating a confusing mix of emotions.

Eccentric writer Edgar Allen Partridge hires her to type a manuscript of stories as eerie as those written by his namesake, Edgar Allen Poe. After proclaiming the stories to be true, he vanishes without returning to collect his finished work.

A third client is found murdered after hiring Fremont to type a sensitive document. The man's family turn to her seeking answers.

Her search for E. A. Partridge and for the answers she hopes to find for the murdered man's family lead her to San Francisco's seedy, dangerous underworld, Will it also be there that she will find the answers to her own heart's dilemma?

This was a fairly good mystery. I liked the main character, and the setting and plot were interesting. However interesting the plot was, though, it felt like it was too busy with too many threads. I found that rather distracting. For what it's worth, I also dislike the title. It sounds too much like a juvenile book to me, which it certainly is not. ( )
  bookwoman247 | Apr 27, 2012 |
Fans of historical fiction mysteries will enjoy this story of a spunky young woman at the turn of the 20th century who leaves Boston for San Francisco and opens her own typing business. She becomes embroiled in murder and romance, and the action moves along quite rapidly to a satisfying conclusion. ( )
  sleahey | Jul 25, 2011 |
Opening Sentence: ‘…know what people say about me: I am willful an opinionated, shockingly eccentric in my manner of dress (this is because I will not wear a corset), altogether a trial to my father…’

The Strange Files of Fremont Jones is set in San Francisco in 1905. Caroline Fremont Jones is a thoroughly modern miss whose father has no real idea how to control her or make her confirm to society’s expectations of how women should act. She has now finished her college education and is at a bit of a loss on what to do next. Her father married a woman that Caroline dislikes and her new stepmother believes that marriage is all that a woman requires and has just the nephew in mind for Caroline. While her father and his bride are on their honeymoon Caroline runs away to San Francisco, changes her name to Fremont Jones, finds herself lodgings with a widow called Mrs O’Leary, settles in and sets up her own a typing business.

Fremont’s fellow boarding house guest is the enigmatic Michael Archer, who Mrs O’Leary is convinced is a spy. The plot is based around the three of Fremont’s customers and Michael. The first is a rather nice young lawyer called Justin Cameron who quickly becomes her boyfriend. Justin is followed by a rather creepy author, Edgar Allan Partridge, who wants his handwritten manuscript typed out. As Fremont types out his macabre stories we get to ‘read’ them as well, and when he doesn’t turn up to collect the finished manuscript, Fremont follows hints in the stories to try and track him down. The third major client to make up Fremont’s ‘strange files’ is an elderly Chinese man called Li Wong – who dictates his last will and testimony. A week later he has been murdered and Fremont’s office is broken into.

This is a wonderful start to a new (for me) series – a mystery complete with strong female character, lots of thrills and adventure. There is humour, death, romance, twists, turns and realistic characters. All this is accompanied by vivid descriptions of San Francisco that just conjure up a sense of place and time.

I have the next book in the series on order. ( )
  sally906 | Nov 19, 2010 |
Set in the early 1900's in San Francisco, this tells the story of Freemont (nee Caroline) Jones who moves from Boston to be a Typewriter in San Francisco, trying to find a place in the world outside the constraints placed on women in her time. She lands a strange job transcribing what the author, Edgar Allan Partridge, describes as stories but seem to be very wierd and very disturbing, are there echoes of truth in the stories or are they just fiction? Also what does dashing lawyer Justin Cameron want from her?

Interesting, a bit predictable but I enjoyed the ride. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 11, 2010 |
For Harvey Klinger, gratefully
I know what people say about me: that I am willful and opinionated, shockingly eccentric in my manner of dress (this because I will not wear a corset), altogether a trial to my father.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055356921X, Mass Market Paperback)

Brave, resourceful, adventurous Fremont (née Caroline) Jones is a woman ahead of her time. Hungry for independence, she's traded in her conventional life in Boston for a career as a "type-writer" in turn-of-the-century San Francisco. But Fremont soon discovers that her clients aren't always what they appear to be, and that in doing her job she's transcribing her way into a wealth of mystery--and mortal danger....

Dashing lawyer Justin Cameron well-nigh sweeps Fremont Jones off her feet--and into a situation ripe with perilous intrigue. A client meets an untimely death that Fremant suspects is linked to the paper she typed for him, of which she can recall but one small fragment. And her attempts to disentangle reality and imagination in the gothic tales penned by Edgar Allan Partridge--whose demeanor is one of terror under the barest restraint--send her up the rocky California coast on a mission of discovery from which she may not return....

A riveting, atmospheric mix of intrigue and humor introduces a new investigator as cultivated as Sherlock Holmes and as spunky as Kinsey Millhone.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:26 -0400)

"Brave, resourceful, adventurous Fremont (nee Caroline) Jones is a woman ahead of her time. Hungry for independence, she's traded in her conventional life in Boston for a career as a "type-writer" in turn-of-the-century San Francisco. But Fremont soon discovers that her clients aren't always what they appear to be, and that in doing her job she's transcribing her way into a wealth of mystery-and mortal danger ... Dashing lawyer Justin Cameron well-nigh sweeps Fremont Jones off her feet-and into a situation ripe with perilous intrigue. A client meets an untimely death that Fremont suspects is linked to the paper she typed for him, of which she can recall but one small fragment. And her attempts to disentangle reality and imagination in the gothic tales penned by Edgar Allan Partridge-whose demeanor is one of terror under the barest restraint-send her up the rocky California coast on a mission of discovery from which she may not return ..."--BOOK COVER.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,546,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible