Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell

Thus Was Adonis Murdered (1981)

by Sarah Caudwell

Series: Hilary Tamar (1)

Rumpole of the Bailey by John Mortimer (GeraniumCat)
    GeraniumCat: Anyone who enjoys Sarah Caudwell's legal mysteries should also like Horace Rumpole, and vice versa. They share much of the same humour, a delicious set of English eccentrics and a similar fascination with the intricacies of the legal system.
    Still Life by Louise Penny (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these mystery series are excellent examples of the quirky/cosy end of the spectrum, with extremely engaging characters, an ironic wit and good twisty mysteries.
    Death at the President's Lodging by Michael Innes (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both are whitty, erudite, and English, and the first detective novels of their respective authors.
    Death's Bright Angel by Janet Neel (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both are about a milieu, the Civil Service and Conveyancing respectively. Sarah Cauldwell's book is probably much cleverer, and is also funnier and queerer.

Julia, a British attorney with Inland Revenue troubles, travels to Italy and becomes the leading suspect in a murder case involving another British citizen. Some of her British colleagues begin to puzzle over the case in Britain, eventually traveling to Venice. While the writing style is more sophisticated than most, the attorney and tax themes held little appeal to me. Letter-writing played a role in the plot. Literature lovers will enjoy the allusions to several great literary works. ( )
  thornton37814 | Apr 24, 2018 |
Eccentric lawyer Julia travels to Venice for some frivolous fun with an attractive co-traveler but winds up being arrested for murder; back in London, professor Hilary Tamar and an assortment of Julia's quirky lawyer friends have to solve the case at a distance.

This was a fun, quick, frivolous mystery that I'll likely not remember too well in a few months but that I enjoyed as a vacation book. ( )
  sturlington | Jul 24, 2017 |
Found all the sophisticated, ironic and often glib repartee rather tiresome -- so adolescent. The epistolary structure was kind of interesting. ( )
  amaraki | May 16, 2017 |

Cox, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorey, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haddon, EvaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To J.G.F.C.G.
for all the letters I've failed to write you
Scholarship asks, thank God, no recompense but Truth.
'Furthermore,' I added, 'it is no use your implying, Selena, that your part in the enterprise was a merely negative one. If you tell me that Julia could have managed to purchase a travel ticket, find her passport, pack her suitcase and catch an aeroplane, all without the aid of some competent adult, I shall be obliged to disbelieve you.'
It is about an hour and a half since you left me at the airport. Things, since you left, have not gone well with me: they have taken me from a place where there was gin to a place where there is no gin, and from a place where I could smoke to a place where I cannot smoke. That is to say, from the departure lounge to the aeroplane.
'Julia did very well,' said Selena, 'not to fall into the lagoon. How beastly of that woman to suggest she'd had too much to drink.'

'Most uncharitable,' said Ragwort. 'Julia, as we all know, needs no assistance from alcohol to make her trip over things.'

Androgynous barrister Hilary Tamar's colleague, Julia Larwood (young, brilliant and disorganized) is in deep trouble with the Inland Revenue. Julia goes on holiday to Venice, seeking romance; she also finds a dead body.
She visits Venice
Accused of murder. Uffa!
Such gay holidays!
(pickupsticks)

Detective and mystery stories. Mystery fiction. When her personal copy of the current Finance Act is found a few metres away from a body, young barrister Julia Larwood finds herself caught up in a complex fight against the Inland Revenue. Set to have a vacation away from her home life and the tax man, Julia takes a trip with her art-loving boyfriend. However, all is not what it seems. Could he in fact be an employee of the establishment she has been trying to escape from? And how did her romantic luxurious holiday end in murder?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible