For Laughing Out Loud: Poems to Tickle Your…

For Laughing Out Loud: Poems to Tickle Your Funnybone (1991)

by Jack Prelutsky

This is a collection of funny poems (small and long) on a variety of topics that children will love, chosen by Jack Prelutsky. Each page has a theme, for example: monsters, animals, school, food.

The book is a good collection of poems for students in 2nd-5th grade. It's really engaging and has a variety of poems that can used in a poetry unit of study. And who can't love Jack Prelutsky?? ( )
  missbrandysue | Jan 17, 2012 |
For Laughing Out Loud Poems to Tickle Your Funnybone , selected by Jack Prelutsky, is a fun poetry collection meant for younger elementary children. Each page is colorfully illustrated with pen and ink and watercolors. This book does not have a table of contents, only an index to refer to. There seems to be some rhyme and reason to the placement of the poems, however. For example, pages 62-76 features poems involving animals: “I Thought I’d Take My Rat to School” by Colin McNaughton; “The Last Cry of the Damp Fly” by Dennis Lee; “Never Take a Pig to Lunch” by Susan Schmeltz and others about angry hens, a canary, a hippopotamus, mules, an elephant, etc. X.J. Kennedy’s poem “Sea Horse and Sawhorse” is a fun wordplay, tongue twister poem about a sea horse that wants to play with a sawhorse on a seesaw, and the use of alliteration is apparent and the fun begins when it is read aloud. Another tongue twister full of alliteration is "Friendly Fredrick Fuddlestone" by Arnold Lobel. The tone of the poems in this book is humorous and fun. The poems are aimed more to expose children to the fun of poetry without being too technical. The poems do get children to think, however. Take "Be Glad Your Nose Is on Your Face" by Jack Prelutsky. The poem humorously suggests the best place for one's nose in on one's face...not "sandwiched in between your toes,/that clearly would not be a treat,/for you'd be forced to smell your feet." Such playful suggestions, along with rhyme scheme a/a/b/b allow children to ponder why their bodies are made the way they are. "Anyone Seen My...?" by Max Fatchen is a funny poem about people who misplace their things and ends with "They can't think where...but, most unfair,/They go and borrow mine." A lesson with some humor on putting things away, as well as a warning to watch who you lend your things to, without being preachy. Overall, a good book of humorous poems that can be used as an introductory tool. ( )
  kdangleis | Aug 8, 2010 |
This books contains a collection of 132 humorous poems by various writers including Odgen Nosh, Karla Kuskin, Ellen Raskin, Arnold Lobel, John Ciardi, Myra Cohn Livingston, Eve Mariam, Lillian Moore, X.J. Kennedy, Judith Viorst, and Jack Prelutsky himself. The poems cover such topics as animals, food, school, different people, tricks, and anything else that could make you laugh.I truly enjoyed flipping through this collection – the poems really do make you laugh out loud! My students enjoyed them, and even my husband was laughing when he picked up the book. My favorite one was ‘I Love to Do My Homework’ with the ending lines “I even love the men in white/Who are taking me away” that had me laughing so much my students had to wait so I could explain it to them! The types of poems are very diverse which is nice. And the colorful watercolor illustrations are a perfect addition. It was also nice to see some familiar poems by anonymous authors, like Happy Birthday to You. ( )
  dahabdabbler | Mar 6, 2010 |
I absoultely love this poetry book by Jack Prelutsky that has lots of rhythm, imagery, and assocance. Laughing Out Loud is also uses alot of personification, and imagery. It is hilerious! ( )
  lp118825 | Feb 16, 2008 |
Grades 1-8. Great example of how fun poetry really can be. Illustrations are a great representation of whats be illustrated through the words in the writing. ( )
  Leshauck | Oct 15, 2007 |
To Tony, Elizabeth, and Blake -J.P.
To Mom and Dad -M.P.
If you have got a funnybone,
and I've no doubt you do,
then this completely silly book
is sure to tickle you.

Illus. in full color. "These nonsense verses combine the domestic and the gross, deadpan and slapstick, with a lilting rhythm and satisfying rhyme. The poets are well-known contemporaries including Prelutsky, Silverstein, Kuskin, Lobel, Viorst, and many more. The design is ebullient. Start or end story hour with these verses, and kids will know reading's a pleasure."--(starred) Booklist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:58 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems by writers including Ellen Raskin, Karla Kuskin, Ogden Nash, and Arnold Lobel.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,677,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible