Time, Love, Memory: A Great Biologist and…

by Jonathan Weiner

Member:pbirch01
Title:Time, Love, Memory: A Great Biologist and His Quest for the Origins of Behavior
Authors:Jonathan Weiner
Info:Vintage (2000), Paperback, 320 pages

Time, Love, Memory: A Great Biologist and His Quest for the Origins of Behavior by Jonathan Weiner

As a researcher having being working on flies for nearly a decade, I found this book is still full of useful information. The stories also have been elegantly told, which is rare in scientific field.

I just have been bothered sometimes by the lack of biological or fly genetics common sense of the author, which is inevitable for a non-fly geneticist. Also, the author is too rumbling in some chapters. ( )
  zhliu0124 | Aug 7, 2017 |
didn't read all of this ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
I've read books on evolutionary biology and other sciences, but for some reason found this one a little confusing. Maybe my natural biases of the role of genes in behavior influenced how I understood the progression of the research's varying interpretations of the nature-nurture debate. Still, not a difficult or long read, and recommended to anyone with a natural interest. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
time, Love, Memory is Seymour Benzer's story. While Charles Darwin was obsessed with finding the origins of species, Benzer was obsessed with figuring out the origins of behavior. He dedicated his research to finding out the riddle of both animal and human behavior. He wanted to dig deeper into the concepts of nature and nurture, knowing that life was a balance of both. The the diea of reading a book about genes, fruit flies and DNA sounds boring, don't worry. Weiner's style of writing adds a warm and humorous texture to the otherwise scientific plot. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Nov 24, 2013 |
didn't read all of this ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
Weiner's book is well written and fun to read, although the question arises, who is the audience? This is scientific reportage and as such should not be expected to provide in-depth analysis of tenets and conclusions. Therefore, those who wish to find a critical assessment of neurogenetics should look elsewhere.
added by jlelliott | editNature, Yadin Dudai (Apr 29, 1999)

Weiner's book is a fascinating history of the effort, led by Benzer, to find the specific genes that regulate time, love and memory in fruit flies and therefore to demonstrate something larger about the connection between genes and behavior. Benzer was dealing with what Weiner calls one of the ultimate questions, like the origin of the universe.

Little Fly,

A man like me?

-William Blake,
"The Fly."
from Songs of Experience
For two good friends: my brother, Eric, and John Bonner.
Seymour Benzer's laboratory runs along two corridors of Church Hall at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.
This is a science that is dedicated to exploring the inward infinity that Pascal imagined and to reading the writing on John Locke's slate - for even Locke knew that the slate is not blank.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679763902, Paperback)

In the words of Jonathan Weiner, "Time, love, and memory are ... three cornerstones of the pyramid of behavior." While some find it difficult to view humans as mere machines, molecular biologists maintain that most behavior is genetically based. Even skeptics and opponents agree that molecular biology may well change the way we all live in the 21st century. Little-known outside this exploding field, Seymour Benzer, his mentors, and his generations of students have studied the common fruit fly, Drosophila, and discovered genes that seem to have some influence upon our internal clock, our sexuality, and our ability to learn from our experiences.

Weiner (whose last book, The Beak of the Finch, won a Pulitzer Prize) has written an affectionate history about the development of the science while offering charming glimpses of the people involved--trading haircuts to stretch their grant money in the early years, roaming the laboratory into the wee hours, naming the genes associated with learning after Pavlov's dogs. It's not all sweetness and light, however; ethical questions are raised, some of the hype (and hysteria) surrounding the human genome project is dissipated, and the complicated "clockwork" gene "looks less like an invitation to human intervention and more like a cautionary tale or object lesson for anyone who might try, in the 21st century, to improve on nature's four-billion-year-old designs." That said, the scientists in Weiner's tale reveal a very human side of this fast-moving science, and their belief that they'll find answers to important questions is contagious and compelling. As Benzer himself said, "It's a wonderful, fabulous world, and it's been kicking around a long time." --C.B. Delaney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:42 -0400)

The story of a biologist's search for the foundations of behavior. Looking over the shoulder of some of the premier scientists in the field, biologist Weiner takes us into their laboratories to show us how pieces of DNA actually shape behavior. He focuses on the work of Seymour Benzer, who, decades ago, with James Watson and Francis Crick, helped to crack the genetic code. Then, in a simple experiment using a few test tubes, a light bulb, and 100 fruit flies, Benzer invented the genetic dissection of behavior. Now we see how he and his students find and study genes that build our inner clocks, genes that shape the way we love, and genes that decide what we can (or cannot) remember. These breakthroughs help explain secrets of human behavior and may lead to advance treatments for behavioral disorders ranging from rage to autism to schizophrenia.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,690,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible