A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa Kleypas

A Wallflower Christmas

by Lisa Kleypas

Hannah Appleton, Lady Natalie Blandon's companion, is called upon to vet Rafe Bowman, the prospective fiancé of her ladyship. Rafe Bowman is the relatively crass but undeniably good-looking brother to Lillian, Lady Westcliff (the first of the Wallflowers to find her HEA in Kleypas' popular romance quatrain.) Rafe, an American, needs a bit of acculturation to British manners if he is to succeed in wooing Lady Natalie; but the unprepossessing Hannah doesn't think Rafe will suit.

Surprisingly, owing to the merits of the first four Wallflower novels, A Wallflower Christmas is weak in its plot development and sexual tension. The opening chapters (boy meets girl) showed promise; but story was quickly reduced to its formulaic bones - what follows is a variation on the Classic Cinderella tale set in Victorian Era England - and the end result was little more than a gloss of what could have been an engaging full length novel in its own right.

To a certain extent, A Wallflower Christmas serves as a coda to the Wallflower series as readers catch a glimpses of the married lives of Lillian, Evie, Anabelle and Daisy; but if readers skip this title, they haven't missed anything. Overall, it's disappointing end to the series. ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | May 26, 2014 |
A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa Kleypas (2008) ( )
  AJRyan6of7 | Feb 6, 2014 |
I'm sure this book was fun to write, but it wasn't as substantial as her others. Quite a few scenes were devoted to glimpses of the Wallflowers' happy marriages, so Hannah and Rafe didn't get as much time as they deserved on their courtship, which seemed rushed and unconvincing. And the story of how Lord Travers convinces Natalie to marry him could have been a strong counterpoint plot, but instead isn't told at all. Try Secrets of a Summer Night, Worth Any Price, or my favorite Kleypas, Where Dreams Begin, for much more satisfying reads! ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
I'm being lazy and reviewing the entire series as one. Also many of my thoughts apply to all the books. I've never been a big romance person but I've never been opposed to them either. I discovered this series on a list for top romance series when I needed something for the 2013 Challenge Group Februray Challenge. Spoilers for the series follow:

One thing I didn't like about each book was, with one exception, every single female was a virgin and every single male had had plenty of partners (and in the cases where the male was already attracted to her, he thought of her when with the person). The reason some of the proposals happened was because he had "compromised" her (loved that phrase). Yet the men never had that worry about all the other women they had been with?

Past that these books were fun and I enjoyed each one. I was happy I read Again the Magic first since then I had a prior knowledge of the Westcliffs and in particular Marcus. I was sad that Aline and McKenna never appeared in the rest of the series. McKenna's proposal was probably my favorite of all the couples.

Simon and Annabelle were probably my favorite couple overall. I was surprised that many other reviewers labelled her as snobbish. I understand at the beginning she was hellbent on marrying a peer but primarily for the money for her family. I don't see anything wrong with that. Simon only went after her as a mistress and that was why I felt she ignored him. Once he did actually propose she almost instantly accepted him. Loved that he kept trying to compromise her afterwards in order to make sure she would marry him. After the marriage she did have trouble accepting the change in her life but she never blamed him. I adored the ending with her going after him and Westcliff saving them both and the two of them finally getting along.

Westcliff is probably my favorite male character and I did really like Lillian. Their book was not my favorite because I felt it borrowed too much from Pride and Prejudice, which I adore. The two stubborn lovers with the male as an upper class aristocrat, a bad first proposal, a wedding obsessed mother, and a conniving countess. Loved the ending again with Westcliff beating the shit out of St. Vincent. Hilarious! This book did have my favorite passage:

"You may set your mind at ease with the knowledge that I do not find you desireable in any way whatsoever."
"I understand. Enough said, my lord."
"If the two of us were left alone on a deserted island, I would have absolutely no thought of approaching you."
"I realize that," she said shortly. "You don't have to go on and on about it."
"I just want to make it clear that what I did was a complete aberration. You are not the kind of woman wom I would ever be attracted to."
"All right."
"In fact-"
"You've made yourself quite clear, my lord."

St. Vincent and Evie's story was enjoyable and I thoguht they worked quite well together. I was sad that none of the other wallflowers showed up till over halfway through the book. I also didn't realize that Evie's father appears in an earlier series, so I may have to pick that up next.

Scandal in Spring was my least favorite of the four wallflower series. I liked the concept but I figured out basically what Matthew's secret was from the start and kept getting annoyed that he put off telling her till it was too late. The game between the two of them was interesting and I enjoyed seeing how protective Westcliff had become of Daisy.

Wallflower Christmas was fun but I did not enjoy it as much as the previous five books.

renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |
It was fun to revisit these characters.

The dude was a little rapey, though, which is not usually a thing in Kleypas's books. I'm not sure what happened. And he really just kissed her. But still. ( )
  KateBond | Sep 20, 2013 |
To Jennifer Enderlin, who has so many personal graces; wisdom, talent, beauty, and generosity of spirit. Thank you for bringing so much joy to my life and work.

Love always,
LK
Once there were four young ladies who sat at the side of every ball, soiree, and party during the London season.

The Wallflowers are four young ladies in London who banded together in their wild and wickedly wonderful searches for true love. Now happily married, they join together once again to help one of the world’s most notorious rogues realize that happiness might be right under the mistletoe.…

It’s Christmastime in London and Rafe Bowman has arrived from America for his arranged meeting with Natalie Blandford, the very proper and beautiful daughter of Lady and Lord Blandford. His chiseled good looks and imposing physique are sure to impress the lady in waiting and, if it weren’t for his shocking American ways and wild reputation, her hand would already be guaranteed. Before the courtship can begin, Rafe realizes he must learn the rules of London society. But when four former Wallflowers try their hand at matchmaking, no one knows what will happen. And winning a bride turns out to be more complicated than Rafe Bowman anticipated, especially for a man accustomed to getting anything he wants. However, Christmas works in the most unexpected ways, changing a cynic to a romantic and inspiring passion in the most timid of hearts.

A Wallflower Christmas takes a trip to Victorian London, under the mistletoe, and on a journey of the heart. With her trademark charm, sensuality, and unforgettable characters, there’s no one like Lisa Kleypas to make you believe in the magic of Christmas.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:42 -0400)

It's Christmastime in London and Rafe Bowman has arrived from America for his arranged meeting with Natalie Blandford, the very proper and beautiful daughter of Lady and Lord Blandford. His chiseled good looks and imposing physique are sure to impress the lady in waiting and, if it weren't for his shocking American ways and wild reputation, her hand would already be guaranteed. Before the courtship can begin, Rafe realizes he must learn the rules of London society. But when four former Wallflowers try their hand at matchmaking, no one knows what will happen. And winning a bride turns out to be more complicated than Rafe Bowman anticipated, especially for a man accustomed to getting anything he wants.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible