Sweet Trouble (Bakery Sisters) by Susan…

Sweet Trouble (Bakery Sisters) (edition 2008)

by Susan Mallery

Member:dianepinklace
Title:Sweet Trouble (Bakery Sisters)
Authors:Susan Mallery
Info:HQN Books (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Romance

Sweet Trouble by Susan Mallery

This was my least favorite of the three Bakery Sisters books. There is too much punishing the other person for wrongs done for my taste. If the people in this book just sat down and really talked to each other there would be no book, I get that, but the trying to hurt her/him because she/he hurt you doesn't sit right with me. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
I really enjoy Susan Mallery's novels; they are some of my favorite. There is something charming about including food and bakeries into a story that gives it a fun little something to the story. In this third in the "Sweet" sister trilogy, Jesse returns home after giving birth to a son to a sister and ex-boyfriend who both believe she'd slept with another man. Their anger and resentment are ongoing, and they prove impossible to redeem herself to. Throughout the story you feel anxious and eager for Jesse, seeing that she is a good woman and has changed her life for herself and her son, and has never forgotten her love for Matt, the father of her child.

The novel is centered around Jesse earning everyone's trust back. In some ways, I found it frustrating as she made amends for things she didn't actually do. I do really enjoy these novels, but felt pretty stressed out by the miscommunication between characters. As far as getting you to feel for a character, this obviously gets high marks, but frustrated me for Jesse beyond words. ( )
  mjmbecky | Nov 30, 2009 |
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Sep08

It’s official. Susan Mallery hit a triple for me with “Sweet Trouble”, the final book in her ‘sweet’ trilogy coming out in September 2009. I was lucky enough to read and review “Sweet Talk” and “Sweet Spot”, the first two books of the trilogy which I loved. This author has the ability to play my emotions like a master. I laughed. I cried. I was mad, angry, hopeful, frustrated, excited, pleased…I think the only emotion missing was true fear for my life! This book is about life and emotion and love. There is so much packed into only 374 pages that read smoothly with Mallery’s characteristic deft pacing.

I worried that I wouldn’t be able to warm to Jesse, the third sister. Jesse has a lot to atone for…she’s made a lot of mistakes and hurt the people who love her so much. I just couldn’t see how anyone could redeem such a character. But, it’s been five years since the events of “Sweet Spot” and Jesse has grown up. She returns home with her son determined to make amends and have a relationship with her sisters and her son’s father. Jesse’s story is told in split time. The book flashes back as we learn about her relationship with Matt from the beginning. These flashbacks are intertwined with her current efforts at reestablishing trust with her sisters and Matt. It doesn’t take long to start rooting for Jesse. Yes, she was bad. Yes, she made mistakes. Yes, she made some truly stinker decisions. But when it came time to step up for her baby, that’s exactly what she did. Single parenthood is a hard road and Jesse’s done the best she could. I think she’s my favorite of the sisters because of all those mistakes. Let’s face it, next to her my mistakes look miniscule!! And strong…I admire anyone with that much steel in their spine.

Matt. I admired the young Matt. The older Matt was truly despicable. We’ve all been hurt by love. The ones we love have the power to lift us the highest and bring us the lowest…if not, it’s not love. Watching his actions and reactions to the old and new Jesse and his son, Gabe, were wrenching. Watching him learning to open his heart and love again was heartening and reaffirming. What a pair these two are! And Matt’s initial nerdiness became oh so sexy as he matured. The passion between these two is intense, yet stays well within the bounds of romance vice erotica.

Jesse’s sisters still play an important role in this book. Even if you don’t have a sister, you can still relate to their emotions as they gradually re-establish that special bond that sisters and family have. I was exhausted when I finished this book…in a good way. I came away with a smile on my face. Love wins in the end as in all romances. In “Sweet Trouble”, Susan Mallery closes the trilogy with a story that encompasses love in all its forms. Parental love, romantic love, familial love, and caring love…they’re all here. And they’re going to stay right here, on my keeper shelf, so don’t ask to borrow them…go get your own! ( )
  jjmachshev | Jun 14, 2008 |
«Qui la definiscono un bastardo senza scrupoli»

Jesse Keyes has done some serious growing up. With a steady job and a vibrant four-year-old son, Gabe, she's in a far better place than when she left Seattle five years ago…pregnant and misunderstood by almost everyone in her life.
Now it's time to go home and face her demons. But her sisters, Claire and Nicole, aren't exactly impressed with the new and improved Jesse. And then there's Matt, Gabe's father, who makes it clear that he never wants to see her again despite the lust that still smolders between them.

Jesse doesn't know if she can make up for all the mistakes of her past. But the promise of sweet nights with Matt might just give her the extra incentive she needs to make it worth the trouble.…

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373773056, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:15 -0400)

Five years since leaving Seattle, Jesse Keyes is in a better place. Now it's time to return and face her demons. However, her sisters aren't impressed with the new and improved Jessie. Then there's the father of Jesse's young son, who has made it clear he never wants to see her again--despite the lust that still smolders between them.… (more)

Susan Mallery is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,337,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible