Valhalla by Tom Holt

Valhalla (original 2000; edition 2012)

by Tom Holt

Member:Kythe42
Title:Valhalla
Authors:Tom Holt
Info:Orbit (2012), Kindle Edition, 196 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Own

Valhalla by Tom Holt (2000)

Not among his better works. I just couldn't get interested in the characters and didn't quite figure out the point of the whole thing. Disappointing. ( )
  ritaer | Nov 28, 2017 |
Tom Holt writes some brilliant, very funny books!
This is no exception.
His stories are always set in the present day.
His characters are more than believable!
Another author that I re read very often! ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Jan 23, 2016 |
First I thought it doesn't make any sense to me. But now I know it just doesn't make any sense. Which is kind of cool!
  Kindlegohome | Jul 9, 2015 |
Copy of my Launchpad review from 2001:
In this latest comic novel, Holt returns to his trademark fusion of the modern world and Germanic myth; this time it is the Norse Warriors’ afterlife that benefits from his touch.
As with so many of his books, several (apparently unconnected) different characters take leading roles, and slowly intertwine.
Without spoiling the plot, Holt has produced a consistent explanation for what Valhalla is, and how it works, which in turn leads on to the human reaction to the threat of death and the artists relationship with his agent.
Much of what is said would not look out of place in an essay on Norse religion, but the færie dust of Holt’s humour removes any hint of dryness.
To use a cliché, I could not put this book down… until night fell and I had to put it down to turn on the lights.
Requiring no knowledge of Holt’s other works, this book will be a joy to even those who have not encountered his works before. ( )
  Tyrshundr | Feb 6, 2014 |
The book follows several people consigned to Odin in the afterlife, stuck in a Valhalla either different from the one they imagined or never expecting to be in Valhalla. I didn't find it nearly as cohesive, clever, or entertaining as Holt's other light novels, such as Expecting Someone Taller. ( )
  espertus | Mar 9, 2010 |

Tom Holtprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cemmick, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mary Q and the Brain in Aspic:
gallant Knights of the Salamander,
churchwardens of the last, best Valhalla;
and for Fang the Dog, as always.
"Oh look," observed Napoleon. "There's a speck of dust."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,537,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible