The Wishing Year: A House, a Man, My Soul A…

The Wishing Year: A House, a Man, My Soul A Memoir of Fulfilled Desire (2008)

by Noelle Oxenhandler

This memoir fills like a swirl of dandelion fluff on the wind - it goes in every direction. Now there is the examination of some wish philosopher and next there is a scene from the author's life. Now there is great emotion, next a discourse on history. Much like the author's own ambiguity towards the notion of wishing, the book doesn't really come to any firm conclusions about the power of wishes, other than to say, "look - I tried it and here is what I learned and gained". ( )
1 vote tjsjohanna | Oct 8, 2013 |
This book was on loan from a friend, and I'm glad that I read it partly before coming on vacation and finished it while on vacation (while on the beach, actually, which was a nice touch). Reading about the author's need to let go of her inner guilt or expectation that something bad needed to happen so that something good could happen spoke to me that I should enjoy my vacation just for what it is, and not think that awful things will occur. Also, the discussion about wishing - what to wish for, how one should wish, what 'experts' think about wishing,etc. - in her practical and almost cynical view matched my own viewpoint, so I could really take to heart the conclusions she draws at the end, and those conclusions have me thinking about... what would I like to wish for? ( )
  sriemann | Apr 1, 2013 |
I enjoyed reading this account of a year in the life of this author. There are 12 chapters, one for each month. She begins by making 3 wishes she would like to come true that year. Her artist friend, Carole, who seems to be a wish genie, understanding the mechanics, helps her to begin. As the months go by, we meet other people who add to her experiment in wishing, and we go on journeys to France, Hawaii, and a goddess's living room.

This is not a self-help book and is nothing at all like "The Secret" or other books of that genre. This author is a writer and teacher with a background in philosophy. It is really a memoir chronicling an approach to progressing her life. It does not offer activities for us to practice, or suggestions about how we should live. You are free to discern those things on your own. She does live in California and encounters a lot of creative, free-spirit "California thinking", which I found refreshing.

Her "brazen acts of wishing" were no different than what most of us desire for our lives, the foundational pieces we need really. She seemed to have no problems in manifesting a man and home ownership, and a spiritual practice on the mend. I left with an uplifted "you can do this too" feeling. Recommended reading for your journey. ( )
  indigo7 | Feb 7, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Haven't yet read this.
  jemlunchbox | Aug 23, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this- I run a positive thinking group in my agency and I've been able to incorporate some of those techniques into my group
  cdyankeefan | Aug 5, 2009 |
We're never truly separate from what we wish for. -- Kythe Heller, Immolation
For Alicia, Daniel, and Dawn. If wishes were siblings, I'd wish for you.
And in memory of George Levenson, who risked everything for his wish.
It's New Year's Day: bright and cold, with wind moving through the tops of the eucalyptus trees and silver clouds gathering in the distance.

A delightfully candid memoir, unfettered, poetic, and ripe with discovery, "The Wishing Year" chronicles Oxenhandler's journey into the art and soul of wishing. Soon she discovers that what started as a year's dare has turned into a way of life.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Wishing Year by Noelle Oxenhandler was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,397,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible