Portuguese Irregular Verbs by Alexander…

Portuguese Irregular Verbs (2003)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov (bertilak)
    Straight Man by Richard Russo (goose114)
    goose114: Another story of academia with a witty sense of humor.

A coworker had recommended this series as hilarious entertainment, and I have enjoyed several of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books, so I was eager to read this one. Unfortunately, I did not find it to be especially humorous. It is certainly droll, but I did not laugh out loud, and really am not interested enough in the characters to pursue more books in the series.

I admire Smith's mind and his ability to inhabit vastly different characters and locations, and his writing is clear. Perhaps the humor of this series is just a bit too understated for me? ( )
  glade1 | Mar 7, 2015 |
Short, episodic chapters tell the humorous shenanigans of Professor von Igelfeld, the author of the eponymous Portuguese Irregular Verbs, and his compatriots Prinzel and Unterholzer.

Von Igelfeld is a sort of hapless bumbler who can't get the recognition he so desires for his niche philological studies, and his adventures made me smile. After much trial and tribulation, I managed to get a copy of the audio version read by Hugh Laurie (apparently it's really difficult to find in the U.S. library system!), and I enjoyed his presentation of it. He does an excellent job with multiple accents and characters, and brings out the humor in the situations in which the professors find themselves in. Light, fun reading. ( )
  bell7 | Jul 8, 2014 |
I read or listen to this author while exercising. It is a great, light read perfect for exercise. ( )
  VictoriaNH | Feb 22, 2014 |
Complete return to form by this author after the unfortunate The Sunday Philosophy Club. Professor Dr Moritz-Maria von Igenfeld is a gem. ( )
  veracite | Apr 5, 2013 |
It flags a bit, but by the end it's all worth it. ( )
  Romis78 | Mar 10, 2013 |
I am headed to local library to check this one out again. If you like to laugh and have a dry sense of humor you will absolutely relate to this book....and quick note, it's first in a series of three.

The negative reviews on this book astound me. What planet are you on? I take mine dry with a side of umph....
added by tracysbooks | editMy own brain, booknut with sense of humor (Jun 15, 2011)

This is for REINHARD ZIMMERMANN
Professor Dr Moritz-Maria von Igelfeld often reflected on how fortunate he was to be exactly who he was, and nobody else.
The 2 1/2 pillars of wisdom includes At the Villa of Reduced Circumstances, The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs and Portuguese Irregular Verbs in 2002. These titles were published separately in 2003.

Professor Dr. Moritz-Maria von Igelfeld of the Institute of Romance Philology learns to play tennis and forces a college chum to enter into a duel that results in a nipped nose. He also takes a field trip to Ireland where he becomes acquainted with the rich world of archaic Irishisms, and he develops an aching ingatuation with a dentist fatale. Along the way, he takes two ill-fated Italian sojourns, the first merely uncomfortable, the second defintitely dangerous.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,414,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible