50 Great Curries of India by Camellia…

50 Great Curries of India

by Camellia Panjabi

The New Curry Secret: Mouthwatering Indian Restaurant Dishes to Cook at Home by Kris Dhillon (Rinzwind)
    Rinzwind: These books are good complements: one explains authentic Indian home-style cooking, the other focuses on Indian restaurant-style cooking. Trying both styles will give you different results and help increase your insight into Indian cooking overall.

English (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (3)
This book is gorgeous to look at - and drool over - but its real value to me is the generic curry recipe at the front: dead easy instructions, basic ingredient lists tweaked for the protein type ie lamb, beef or fish. ( )
  jransom | Jan 6, 2010 |
I really like this book. The front matter is a really interesting description about how Indian Cuisine has evolved. It's interesting from the point of view that, when this book was first written (in 1994?), the food that most of us associate with Indian restaurants in the UK was mainly dishes developed for the UK market based mainly on food from the Punjab region. What the author describes is an even richer culinary history with great regional variations. The tandor, for example, which is the basis of the Tandorri food that we all know and love is quite rare in some regions. I think that in the last couple of years there has been a real change in Indian Restaurants so that we're seeing far more regional dishes and styles. I guess the market is so saturated that there is a real need to stand out from the crowd but it's interesting that this book was published more than a decade ago.

I also liked the description of the philosophy of Indian food - that it is used in a holistic approach to health and that food will be prescribed by healers and only if this fails will medicine be resorted to. I've always said curry has healing properties :-).. The author moves from the philosophy to the basic principles of Indian cookery as the book gets more practical and then moves into the recipes.

The recipes themselves are easy to follow. Our first try at one was the Lamb and Plum dish - it was quite complicated with lots of different spices and ingredients but they worked really well together (particularly good over xmas as it contains cloves, cinnamon and plums). The result was delish and I can't wait to try some of the other dishes. The photography is really good as well (I'm a sucker for good food photography which is why I bought this book in the first place). Top marks! ( )
  neiljohnford | Dec 31, 2007 |

"Here are 50 authentic Indian curries, each accompanied by a full-colour photograph so that you can see colour, texture and appearance. Try White Chicken Korma, a Muslim court dish blending Moghlai and Nawabi cuisines or Prawns in Sweet & Hot Curry, with its delicately balanced sweet, hot and sour flavours. The Gujarati Mango and Yogurt Curry is a tasty treat for vegetarians or perfect for lunch or as a side dish, while Lamb with Plums is a new recipe that combines the sweetness of fruit with the spicy aromas of cinnamon and chilli." "A new introduction especially for this edition comprehensively details curry-making techniques, including how to add taste, aroma and colour and there are also 50 recipes to accompany the curry, from rice and lentils to breads, vegetables, chutneys and desserts."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,549,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible