The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

The Lucky One (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Nicholas Sparks

2,931931,961 (3.87)59
Member:17keiperh
Title:The Lucky One
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****

The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks (2008)

English (91)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  All languages (95)
So far blah. Full of stereotypes. I needed an escape after this teaching week but this book just irritates me so far. ( )
  greenscoop | Nov 15, 2014 |
I enjoyed this and I'm happy with the way it turned out, although if anything had happened to the dog it would be a different story. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
After finding a picture during his stay in Iraq, marine Logan Thibault, in the words of his fellow solider and superstitious best friend, Victor, "had found himself a lucky charm." Although Thibault didn't quite believe it himself, he felt as though it were his destiny to find the woman in the picture, with the urging of his friend after the numerous times Logan had stayed alive when it would have been more probable for him to have died. What his destiny with her was, he didn't know, but he was soon to find out.

I had to read this book for my book club, and been excited since I haven't read Nicholas Sparks in a few years, and I recalled that I liked his writing before. If it wasn't for the fact that this book was placed in North Carolina, had church-going, marine characters, and had his name on the front cover, I wouldn't have known it was Nicholas Sparks who wrote this book. Although it was pretty quick to read, I was extremely disappointed with it, and am now unsure of where I stand on him as an author. Much of the dialogue literally resembled the quality of dialogues I had written while I was in middle school, and the characters were flat, egoic, predictable, and stereotypical. The plot was mediocre, and predictable as well, and many scenes felt choppy, unedited and rushed, including the ending and epilogue. It was unclear whether Logan survived, especially with the line: "It was Logan's legacy to Ben, and as such it held special meaning for him." until he just was waiting for Elizabeth to come home from the cemetery, which maybe would have been suspenseful had it not been terribly written, and in the matter of Keith Clayton, what did the town or the Clayton family have to say afterwards? The epilogue in this story was useless. I would definitely not recommend anyone spending their time on this book. I wonder what Hollywood was thinking when they made this into a movie. (A movie I will not be seeing.) ( )
  evolvingthread | Mar 23, 2014 |
Nicholas Sparks is one of the most known authors of our time. Maybe because his great at putting words together. He can string crappy words together and still make a beautiful sentence. That's why I gave him 4 stars, for his beautiful writing, simple yet believable and beautiful.

However, I still having problems with his characters and the story. First, the characters. The women are always insecure, unsure of themselves, very fickle. The women always had some rough patch that they went through and are afraid or at least haven't been in any relationship for the longest time, e.g. single mom or trauma with previous relationship. Meanwhile, the leading men are always so romantic, sweet, thoughtful, etc. The leading men make your boyfriend or your husband look like crap in comparison. They are just too good to be true that sometimes the story is just too unreal for me.

Second, the story. After several Nicholas Sparks' novel, I felt that they practically are all the same stories with different characters. I'm getting tired of soldiers falling in love with damsels in distress in need of their protection.

Nicholas Sparks' "A Walk to Remember", "Nights in Rodanthe" "The Notebook" and "Message in a Bottle" were astounding romantic novels. What happen after them? Should someone die at the end to make a great story? I actually like the book "The Lucky One" but the similarities with other books was a real let down for me. I was just expecting something different from Nicholas Sparks. I would still recommend this book for people who like an easy read for the holidays. ( )
1 vote krizia_lazaro | Mar 10, 2014 |
For Jamie Raab and Dennis Dalrymple

A year to remember...
and a year to forget.
I'm with you in spirit.
Deputy Keith Clayton hadn't heard them approach, and up close, he didn't like the looks of them any more than he had the first time he'd seen them.
Logan didn't deliver advice, instead he asked Ben what he thought he should do.
Based on her experience with men, most assume that when you talk to them about a problem or a dilema, they were expected to offer an opinion... even when all you really wanted was for them to listen!

"The Lucky One" (pg. 54-112) Thibault had his mind set on finding the woman in the picture. With that, Thibault started planning out how he intended on finding her. He decided that he was going to go to bars where single men might know her. Meanwhile, Clayton was still stressing about the pictures he had taken and the flat tires on the sheriffs car. Clayton was so upset about Thibault lying to him that he went on a hunt to find him;driving around, asking people if they had seen him. Clayton gave up for the day and his son, Ben, came to mind. He was disappointed that Ben hadn't turned out like he wanted him to. Instead of playing sports, he played violen. Clayton got lost in his thoughts so he didn't hear the phone ring. Ben answered it and gave it to Clayton. It was Claytons friend calling to tell him that he was at a bar and some man had a picture of his ex-wife and he was asking for her. Clayton acted like he didn't care and figured the man on the phone was drunk,so he went to bed.

Thibault had met a men and he knew who the woman was in the photograph. He told Thibault her name is Beth Green and that she's a teacher at a local elementary school. Thibault knew the next step was meeting her. While that was happening with Thibault, Beth was working at a pet shop. While she was working she saw a man coming up the driveway with his german shepard. It was Thibault. He walked into the shop and started talking to Beth. He knew it was her. Thibault asked for a job application and so Beth had Nana, her grandma, to interview him. Nana did and she hired him. She knew Beth liked him. Thibault worked the next day but he didn't see Beth much. He like to think of her as Elizabeth. A few days later Thibault ended up meeting her son Ben. Ben liked Thibault a lot but Beth didn't like that Ben had started talking to Thibault.

In his 14th book, bestselling author Nicholas Sparks tells the unforgettable story of a man whose brushes with death lead him to the love of his life.

Is there really such thing as a lucky charm? The hero of Nicholas Sparks's new novel believes he's found one in the form of a photograph of a smiling woman he's never met, but who he comes to believe holds the key to his destiny. The chain of events that leads to him possessing the photograph and finding the woman pictured in it is the stuff of love stories only a master such as Sparks can write.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:02 -0400)

Is there really such thing as a lucky charm? The hero of Nicholas Sparks's new novel believes he's found one in the form of a photograph of a smiling woman he's never met, but who he comes to believe holds the key to his destiny. The chain of events that leads to him possessing the photograph and finding the woman pictured in it is the stuff of love stories.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,960,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible