The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

The Lucky One (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Nicholas Sparks

3,011971,897 (3.86)60
Member:17keiperh
Title:The Lucky One
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****

The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks (2008)

English (94)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  All languages (98)
A solidly built narrative that sinks into a quicksand of improbable coincidences and cringe-inducing tropes. The stereotyped characters are manipulated like the parts of a well-oiled machine. The manly self-reliant war veteran, the warm and beautiful divorcee with her precocious son, the wise and understanding grandmother, the mean and corrupt ex-husband. Oh, and the loveable dog.

Suspense and a cliff-hanger ending are provided by the raging torrents of a flooded river. Tension is generated by increasing the pace of the POV switches with ever-shorter chapters.

So predictable and gooey that I was skipping more and more pages the nearer I got to the end, interested only in which of the characters the author would kill off.

I've watched a couple of movies based on Nicholas Sparks' books, but wasn't overwhelmed by either. I would probably never have read this, my first Nicholas Sparks book, if I hadn't seen a lively debate on IMDB about the authenticity of the movie based upon it.

Not for me, but I can see why Mr Sparks sells so many books. ( )
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
Loved it! Read book and saw movie....Liked the ending of movie better. Have read all his books and one of my favorite authors!

Filled with tender romance and terrific suspense, The Lucky One is Nicholas Sparks at his best—an unforgettable story about the surprising paths our lives often take and the power of fate to guide us to true and everlasting love.
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
"A tale of redemption...holds readers in suspense until the final chapter...it will test readers' beliefs in the power of destiny and fate, and how they relate to choices one makes in life."
  ICANABIBBELG | Nov 26, 2014 |
So far blah. Full of stereotypes. I needed an escape after this teaching week but this book just irritates me so far. ( )
  greenscoop | Nov 15, 2014 |
I enjoyed this and I'm happy with the way it turned out, although if anything had happened to the dog it would be a different story. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
For Jamie Raab and Dennis Dalrymple

A year to remember...
and a year to forget.
I'm with you in spirit.
Deputy Keith Clayton hadn't heard them approach, and up close, he didn't like the looks of them any more than he had the first time he'd seen them.
Logan didn't deliver advice, instead he asked Ben what he thought he should do.
Based on her experience with men, most assume that when you talk to them about a problem or a dilema, they were expected to offer an opinion... even when all you really wanted was for them to listen!

"The Lucky One" (pg. 54-112) Thibault had his mind set on finding the woman in the picture. With that, Thibault started planning out how he intended on finding her. He decided that he was going to go to bars where single men might know her. Meanwhile, Clayton was still stressing about the pictures he had taken and the flat tires on the sheriffs car. Clayton was so upset about Thibault lying to him that he went on a hunt to find him;driving around, asking people if they had seen him. Clayton gave up for the day and his son, Ben, came to mind. He was disappointed that Ben hadn't turned out like he wanted him to. Instead of playing sports, he played violen. Clayton got lost in his thoughts so he didn't hear the phone ring. Ben answered it and gave it to Clayton. It was Claytons friend calling to tell him that he was at a bar and some man had a picture of his ex-wife and he was asking for her. Clayton acted like he didn't care and figured the man on the phone was drunk,so he went to bed.

Thibault had met a men and he knew who the woman was in the photograph. He told Thibault her name is Beth Green and that she's a teacher at a local elementary school. Thibault knew the next step was meeting her. While that was happening with Thibault, Beth was working at a pet shop. While she was working she saw a man coming up the driveway with his german shepard. It was Thibault. He walked into the shop and started talking to Beth. He knew it was her. Thibault asked for a job application and so Beth had Nana, her grandma, to interview him. Nana did and she hired him. She knew Beth liked him. Thibault worked the next day but he didn't see Beth much. He like to think of her as Elizabeth. A few days later Thibault ended up meeting her son Ben. Ben liked Thibault a lot but Beth didn't like that Ben had started talking to Thibault.

In his 14th book, bestselling author Nicholas Sparks tells the unforgettable story of a man whose brushes with death lead him to the love of his life.

Is there really such thing as a lucky charm? The hero of Nicholas Sparks's new novel believes he's found one in the form of a photograph of a smiling woman he's never met, but who he comes to believe holds the key to his destiny. The chain of events that leads to him possessing the photograph and finding the woman pictured in it is the stuff of love stories only a master such as Sparks can write.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:02 -0400)

Is there really such thing as a lucky charm? The hero of Nicholas Sparks's new novel believes he's found one in the form of a photograph of a smiling woman he's never met, but who he comes to believe holds the key to his destiny. The chain of events that leads to him possessing the photograph and finding the woman pictured in it is the stuff of love stories.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,874,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible