The Science of Fear: Why We Fear the Things…

The Science of Fear: Why We Fear the Things We Shouldn't--and Put…

by Daniel Gardner

Review: The Science of Fear by Daniel Gardner.

This book is based on psychological research. The authors writing style requires some editing. The chapters are somewhat long not really that well organized and repetitive throughout. There were a few topics as; cancer risk, media distortion and crime content that interested me but overall I didn’t feel it was that educating. The book was published in 2008 so a lot of the information on fear topics I already assumed or was a matter of logic. The veracity of the research has been proven time and again and the author is just confirming how a lot of people fall for the risk and attention it offers.

Science of Fear is a rational, well discussion of why we fear the things we should not, and why we don’t fear the things we should. Daniel Gardner explains how fear in the gut overwhelms thinking in head. There are a few times when the head can over rule the gut but not to often. He also gives examples of how fear works and how we are influenced by society and the world that surrounds us. We pay to much attention to the media reports, or the stories from politicians, advocates, and action groups even our neighbor’s fears. We need to look at our fears with reason and understanding watch out for the everyday fears we obtain and don’t even give a second thought about. The fears we sense once are usually the fears that will hurt us…..

The books main flaw is it a bit dry and isn’t an easy read as far as laymen terms. I thought it was more a technical book then a book of general informative discussion about human fear.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Politicians, marketers, activists, non-governmental organizations, corporations, and advertisers of all types follow a simple formula: scare people, then offer to alleviate their fears. How do we separate the imaginary threats from the real ones? How do we find the true story? This book offers great insight into how we actually make decisions...and how our methods of decision-making get us into trouble. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
This is quite a good book, what I gained most of all from reading it was the recalibration of what I should be fearful of and what I shouldn't be (What it says on the tin). ( )
  timleggett | Sep 21, 2014 |
An interesting conversation that was well researched, but it was not as readable as Freakonomics (a little heavy on the statistics, perhaps?); therefore, it took me a while to move through it. ( )
  SandSing7 | Aug 21, 2010 |
This is a good book, but needed tighter editing. Well written in general, but chapters were long and after a while tended to be repetitive and drag a bit. Good ideas though, and I'm glad I read it. ( )
  MarthaHuntley | Feb 7, 2010 |
“Fear is implanted in us as a preservative from evil; but its duty, like that of the other passions, is not to overbear reason, but to assist it.”
—Samuel Johnson
For Sandra
Anyone who saw it will never forget it.

A timely and entertaining psychological look at why we're afraid and what to do about it

From terror attacks to bursting real estate bubbles, from crystal meth epidemics to online sexual predators and poisonous toys from China, our list of fears seems to be exploding. Yet we are the safest and healthiest humans in history. Why are we so worried?

The Science of Fear is an introduction to the new brain science of risk, dissecting the fears that misguide and manipulate us every day. Award-winning journalist Daniel Gardner demonstrates how irrational fear springs from the ways humans miscalculate risks based on our hunter-gatherer brains. With the exclusive cooperation of risk-science pioneer Paul Slovic and other leading experts, Gardner reveals how our "gut" reactions lead us astray. Understanding our irrational fears frees us from political and corporate manipulation, and makes our choices better, and our lives braver.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:16 -0400)

A fascinating insight into the peculiar and devastating nature of human fear, while training the reader to be ever wary of misleading media announcements.

66 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,149,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible