Arrr! Pirate Flag(Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!

Codex by Lev Grossman

Codex (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Lev Grossman (Author)

Member:donutage
Title:Codex
Authors:Lev Grossman (Author)
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2004), Edition: 1, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, novel, american, 21c, mystery, book fiction, video games

Codex by Lev Grossman (2004)

Recently added byRcalzas1, ballphoenix, private library, hrebml, donutage, pentrant, derek.stuhan, ElizabethCromb
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (conceptDawg)
    conceptDawg: The “mystery/intrigue that is tied to an historical relic” genre
    The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber (Jannes)
    Jannes: Mysterious manuscripts, bookish femme fatales, old libraries... if you liked one, you'll probably enjoy the other.
    The Eight by Katherine Neville (conceptDawg)
    conceptDawg: The “mystery/intrigue that is tied to an historical relic” genre

English (61)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (65)
Supposedly a thriller. Not very. ( )
  ElizabethCromb | Aug 29, 2019 |
I read this after I read The Magicians, which I had liked very much. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Grossman's first book was just as good if not actually better. This book could easily be in the same world as the Magicians series, but there is no magic use in it. Well, unless you count idiot savant computer programmers. The mystery that unfolds is captivating and intelligently handled. What more could I possibly hope for in a book? ( )
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |
Interesting section on the history and development of books. Edward and Margaret spending time searching for an ancient manuscript is quite good, but didn't get the links to the computer game... ( )
  cbinstead | Jun 19, 2017 |
I can't believe I wasted time on book that started off fairly interesting, but was ruined by the ending. I'll admit... This isn't great literature. Characters were flat, the reason for the main character, Edward to do blow off his high pressure job in private banking made no sense, or his attraction to Margaret, an expert on rare antique books. Nor the reasoning of the duke and duchess for wanting to possess the book wasn't very clear, but over all, it was a fairly enjoyable book, the mystery of the codex was interesting.

The side story of the computer game was rather pointless... The author spent some effort on making sure that Edward experiencing the game was both connected to the codex, but at the same time Edward finding the Easter egg was just random.

The history of books in in the middle of the dark ages is interesting and felt well researched (not my expertise). And, the story of Gervase is interesting. Honestly, the mystery of the codex had more character than any other character. And from a writing standard, it's a solid book. Nothing spectacular, but keeps you reading.

And than you get to the end. And the story stops, without any resolution. I'm think it might be an allegory about something... But I really don't know. Nor do I care. I want the time spent wasted on this book back. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jan 31, 2016 |
""
  rouzejp | Sep 2, 2015 |
Such sorowe lady to her tok
That trewly I, that made this book,
Had such pittee and such rowthe
To rid hir sorwe that, by my trowthe,
I ferde the worse al the morwe
Aftir to thenken on hir sorwe.

- Geoffrey Chaucer,
The Book of the Duchess
For Judith Grossman
Edward Wozny stood squinting at the sun as crowds of people excused themselves past him in both directions.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 015602859X, Paperback)

The cerebral thriller Codex drops up-and-coming investment banker wunderkind Edward Wozny into the musty realm of medieval literature, where he finds an unexpected break from the rat race--a powerful client's commission to uncrate and organize a library. The diversion quickly becomes an obsession after he enlists the help of the quirkily attractive scholar Margaret Napier. Together they discover his employer, the mysterious Duchess of Bowmry, is in a race with her husband to locate an apocryphal codex that could destroy the Bowmry name. Meanwhile, Edward becomes engrossed in an addicting computer game that bears an uncanny similarity to the object of his search and accelerates his transformation from Wall Street wizard into shiftless dreamer.

For the most part, Edward moves through his adventure merely following Margaret's dedicated lead. As each new twist unfolds, he slips further into the comforting daydream of a life that isn't his but is as thrilling as the race for the codex. Codex wrestles with notions of dreams and reality that commingle as Edward finds himself adrift in a sea of passionate scholars and Old World plots. In all, Lev Grossman's novel is excellent entry into the emerging genre of literary history thrillers with an added twist for the technophile. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

"About to depart on his first vacation in years, Edward Wozny, a hot-shot young banker, is sent to help one of his firm's most important and mysterious clients. When asked to uncrate and organize a personal library of rare books, Edward's indignation turns to curiosity as he realizes that among the volumes there may be hidden a unique medieval codex, a treasure kept sealed away for many years and for many reasons." "Enlisting the help of Margaret Napier, a passionate and brilliant medieval scholar, Edward discovers the strange history of the codex and the dark, intricate tale that lies within its pages. His fascination becomes an obsession that only deepens as friends draw him into a peculiar and addictive game with mystifying parallels between the game's virtual reality and the legend of the medieval codex."--BOOK JACKET.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,096,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible