Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Herland (1915)

by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Series: Charlotte Perkins Gilman's Utopias (2)

2,190575,078 (3.43)153
COVER DESIGNS THAT COME TO LIFE! ANIMATE THE COVER WITH THE FREE INSERTED SHEET When three American men discover a community of women, living in perfect isolation in the Amazon, they decide there simply must be men somewhere. How could these women survive without man's knowledge, experience and strength, not to mention reproductive power? In fact, what they have found is a civilisation free from disease, poverty and the weight of tradition. All alone, the women have created a society of calm and prosperity, a feminist utopia that dares to threaten the very concept of male superiority. WITH AN INTRODUCTION BY LINDY WEST… (more)

English (52)  Finnish (2)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (57)
A feminist utopian novel written at the turn of the twentieth century. The book follows an expedition of three men who stumble upon a hidden land with only women. All the women/girls come from a single mother. The men find a land of milk and honey with no war, poverty, crime or violence. They wonder how this can be without the traditional "male characteristics" they feel would be essential to a perfect society. They try their hand at love (which the Herlanders are not averse to) but the women (and vice versa) lack some of the qualities they desire in a mate. Unique premise done well. ( )
  muddyboy | Sep 13, 2020 |
yes please can I go in the all-female utopia that developed without all the horrible competition and violence of our world. what is a capitalism ( )
  runtimeregan | Jun 12, 2019 |
While clearly not an inclusive utopia, I loved Herland's ideals of harmonious living. This classic introduced me to both utopian writings and feminist thought when I began my MAT. The ideas she introduces persuaded me that Constructivist teaching methods could be more useful than traditional teaching pedagogical methods. I loved the concept of all adults and children as a community of learners. Even though 'the sargents' were the de facto leaders.

Shira
MEOW Date: 9 September 12014 H.E. (Holocene/Human Era)
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Adventure story, which fits in well with Doc Savage, with enough lecture to keep Herland from being a page-turner, Herland as a whole does an excellent job of presenting women as equals to men. If reading the Pantheon Ann J. Lane edition, I would read the Introduction last. ( )
  DromJohn | Mar 16, 2019 |

Shira
MEOW Date: 9 September 12014 H.E. (Holocene/Human Era)
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
Charlotte Perkins Gilmans Sozialutopie "Herland" ist ein reines Lehrstück. Die Figuren sind nicht plastisch gezeichnet, auch die Umgebung bleibt seltsam farblos. Es geht der Autorin offensichtlich vor allem darum, aufzuzeigen, welche Möglichkeiten in der weiblichen Hälfte der Menschheit stecken. Deshalb bleibt eine schwarz/weiß, gut/böse Einteilung nicht aus.

Charlotte Perkins Gilmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lane, Ann J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction
Charlotte Perkins Gilman is not ordinarily thought of as a humorist, but her feminist utopia, Herland, is a very funny book.
This is written from memory, unfortunately.
We were not in the least "advanced" on the woman question, any of us, then.
They were inconveniently reasonable, those women.
They said: "With our best endeavors this country will support about so many people, with the standard of peace, comfort, health, beauty, and progress we demand. Very well. That is all the people we will make."
You see, they were Mothers, not in our sense of helpless involuntary fecundity, forced to fill and overfill the land, every land, and then see their children suffer, sin, and die, fighting horribly with one another; but in the sense of Conscious Makers of People.
We are used to seeing what we call "a mother" completely wrapped up in her own pink bundle of fascinating babyhood, and taking but the faintest theoretic interest in anybody else's bundle, to say nothing of the common needs of all the bundles. But these women were working all together at the grandest of tasks — they were Making People — and they made them well.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,511,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible