My Husband's Sweethearts by Bridget…

My Husband's Sweethearts (edition 2009)

by Bridget Asher

Member:ITersy
Title:My Husband's Sweethearts
Authors:Bridget Asher
Info:Bantam (2009), Paperback, 272 pages

My Husband's Sweethearts by Bridget Asher

I wanted to like this more than I did. It was entertaining but a little shallow. Lucy seems to do a lot of whining and ineffective self-examination. I enjoyed the way the women came together as friends and although I didn't really like Artie (and he wasn't really a main character) I did appreciate the idea he represented that people are a confusing mix of good and bad. ( )
  tjsjohanna | May 12, 2015 |
A mensagem deixada num livro é algo que me fascina, que me faz relembrar durante dias uma leitura e a torna especial. Calculo que seja um trabalho árduo para qualquer autor deixar uma mensagem especial nas suas histórias e fazer com que os seus livros se tornem intemporais, mas Bridget Asher no seu tom descontraído e divertido deixa-nos a pensar em algo que acaba por ser especial nesta altura do ano, o perdão.
O livro trata da história de Lucy, uma mulher que depois de se separar do seu infiel marido, descobre que este está gravemente doente e por isso começa a ligar a todas as ex-amantes deste para que lhe façam uma última visita.
Apesar do tema um pouco triste, todo o livro encontra-se escrito de forma muito divertida e acaba por ser lido rapidamente. A personagem principal, Lucy está muito bem caracterizada e mesmo sendo a pessoa que mais sofreu com as traições do marido não se transforma na célebre “coitadinha” de quem todos têm pena. O mesmo acontece com as ex-amantes de Artie, que acabam por ter um papel muito importante na trama.
Esta é uma leitura bastante leve e também um daqueles livros que imaginamos como seria a sua adaptação cinematográfica.

http://viv-omundoencantadodoslivros.blogspot.pt/2012/12/editorial-presencaopinia... ( )
  anokas2757 | Mar 17, 2013 |

anokas2757 | Mar 17, 2013 |
Lucy Shoreman left her older husband, Artie, six months ago after discovering he had cheated on her...repeatedly. She still loves the charming little cheat, however, so when she learns he is dying, she returns home to care for him, even though she can't make herself forgive him. She's angry, hurt and betrayed.

She doesn't think it's fair that his "sweethearts" got to be there with him through the good times but aren't around during the bad times. So she takes out his little black book and starts calling them. To her surprise, they soon start showing up to sit at his bedside; a parade of Artie's sweethearts over the years, as well as a long lost son. What transpires is very special.

I was expecting something humorous, maybe a little angry, but this is also touching and hopeful. You'll learn some lessons on friendship, forgiveness and love.

This book is a gem. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Feb 8, 2013 |
I don't think that I could sit at a husband's bedside while he was dying, knowing that he had cheated on me...more accurately, was a serial cheater, and I had just found out. I know that I have never loved anyone enough for that. Lucy can...kind of. She discovers her husband's infidelities and leaves for a business trip. While on her trip, Artie finds out that he is dying...and quickly. She eventually comes back to deal with it. Lucy is written so beautifully, she is angry, sad, still in love, furious, scared...

While drunk, she randomly calls some women from his little black book and invites them to take their turn at his bedside. Some show up. Hopeful, this book shows that family is what you make it.

I am not normally one for yay blah blah blah, everything will be alright books, but I really liked this one. Touching. ( )
  bookwormteri | Mar 28, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038534189X, Hardcover)

When Lucy discovered that her charming, cheating husband was dying, she came home, opened up his little black book, and decided she wasn’t going through this alone. After all, Artie’s sweethearts were there for the good times—is it fair that Lucy should have to manage the hard times herself? In this wise, wickedly funny new novel, Lucy dials up the women in Artie’s black book and invites them for one last visit. The last thing she expects is that any will actually show up.

But one by one, they do show up: The one who hates him. The one who owes her life to him. The one he turned into a lesbian, and the one he taught to dance. And among them is a visitor with the strangest story of all: the young man who may or may not be Artie’s long-lost son.

For Lucy, the jaw-dropping procession of women is an education in the man she can’t forgive and couldn’t leave. And as the women find themselves sharing secrets and sharing tears, they start to discover kindred spirits—and even something that’s a lot like family. But Lucy knows one thing for certain: the biggest surprises are yet to come….

Full of heart, Bridget Asher’s unforgettable novel is about mothers and daughters, fathers and sons, and the deep friendships between women. It’s about sweet liars and tenderhearted cheaters—about loving those we love for reasons we can’t always fully rationalize, and about the sort of forgiveness that can change someone’s entire life in the most unexpected and extraordinary ways.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:30 -0400)

Shocked to discover that her husband has had affairs during their four-year marriage, Lucy is even more devastated by the news that his heart is failing and invites all the women listed in her cheating spouse's little black book for a final visit to his deathbed.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bridget Asher's book My Husband's Sweethearts was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,412,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible