Hope for the Flowers: A Tale Partly About…

Hope for the Flowers: A Tale Partly About Life, Partly About Revolution… (edition 1972)

by Trina Paulus

Title:Hope for the Flowers: A Tale Partly About Life, Partly About Revolution and Lots About Hope
Authors:Trina Paulus
Info:Paulist Press (1972), Edition: No Edition Stated, Paperback
Tags:picture book, short story, inspirational, kids, 22W`

Hope For the Flowers by Trina Paulus

Although it is not a very popular book I have nothing but praise for the book “hope for the flowers.” This would be an excellent book for students that were just beginning to work with chapter books. The language is very fitting for a younger crowd and it is broken up enough with enough pictures to make it an easy read while still getting all of the necessary content into the story. Although the language and style of the book is excellent for younger readers I believe the book is so well written it can be enjoyed by any age group. The character is very well introduced to the readers so much so that it is almost as if you know exactly how certain things will make him feel. Although the illustrations do an excellent job at supporting the book they do not overpower the content and truly do an excellent job at adding something special to the story.
Each chapter of this book presents a new challenge to our caterpillar friends, whether it is an internal struggle or a fight against the people around them. I feel this would be an excellent way for students to see struggles in life and how there are often many conflicts as we go through life. The underlying message of this book is to never give up on your dreams and to question things in life rather than just follow the crowd. It was easy for the caterpillars to step on each other in order to reach the top but that served no real purpose in the end because there was nothing at the top and eventually you had to stop but when the butterflies recognized they could become butterflies they were free from all of that. Sometimes we truly need to take a step back in life and ask ourselves why we are doing what we are doing and the answer shouldn’t be “because everyone else is.” ( )
  ccarpe13 | Sep 16, 2015 |
Read it one summer with my wife after we were first married. Still has sentimental value to us. ( )
  tagtuck | Jul 10, 2015 |
I liked this in the 70s but when I revisited it a few years ago I found it schlocky and simplistic. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Oh my god, I completely forgot about this book! I had it as a kid. I don't even know what rating to give it, but I will never forget the image of the giant writhing pillar of caterpillars.
I think the message is supposed to be something about change or butterflies or whatever, but I just always was totally creeped out by it.
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
This book is about life and is not for any specific age. I feel like this book is more for older children or adults. The pictures are good and the story is is nice. This book might not be a good book to read to young children because they might find it boring. Overall, this book is okay. Not my favortie. ( )
1 vote ChelseaHopton | Nov 24, 2012 |
Once upon a time a tiny striped caterpillar burst from the egg which had been home for so long.
But - she just couldn't believe that the top was worth all it asks to get there. She wanted to get "up" too; the crawling life wasn't enough for her either. She also had to admit that it looked like the pile was the only way to do it.
Stripe seemed so sure that Yellow felt ashamed not to agree. She also felt stupid and embarrassed since she could never put her reasons into words that his kind of logic could understand.
Yet somehow, waiting and not being sure was better than action she couldn't believe in.

Hope's theme of life, moving through seeming death to a new and more beautiful life, has touched the hearts of millions of people. Hope for the Flowers is for young and old, lovers, husbands and wives. It's a book to learn to read with, or to comfort those who are dying or grieving. In the tale, the caterpillar heroes, Stripe and Yellow, want something more from life than eating and growing bigger. They get caught up in a "caterpillar pillar," a squirming mass of bodies, each determined to reach a top so far away it can't be seen. Finally disillusioned, they discover that the way for the caterpillars to find their particular "more," who they really are, is to enter the cocoon and "...risk for the butterfly." Hope for the Flowers has helped people gain the courage to leave jobs, change their lives and explore their love for another human being. Two million copies in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:08 -0400)

Stripe, an ambitious young caterpillar, abandons his struggle to reach the top when he meets a lovely yellow butterfly.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible