Hope for the Flowers: A Tale Partly About…

Hope for the Flowers: A Tale Partly About Life, Partly About Revolution… (edition 1972)

by Trina Paulus

Member:anneofia
Title:Hope for the Flowers: A Tale Partly About Life, Partly About Revolution and Lots About Hope
Authors:Trina Paulus
Info:Paulist Press (1972), Edition: No Edition Stated, Paperback
Tags:picture book, short story, inspirational, kids, 22W`

Hope For the Flowers by Trina Paulus

I liked this in the 70s but when I revisited it a few years ago I found it schlocky and simplistic. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Oh my god, I completely forgot about this book! I had it as a kid. I don't even know what rating to give it, but I will never forget the image of the giant writhing pillar of caterpillars.
I think the message is supposed to be something about change or butterflies or whatever, but I just always was totally creeped out by it.
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
This book is about life and is not for any specific age. I feel like this book is more for older children or adults. The pictures are good and the story is is nice. This book might not be a good book to read to young children because they might find it boring. Overall, this book is okay. Not my favortie. ( )
1 vote ChelseaHopton | Nov 24, 2012 |
I love this book. The artwork is nice and the story is one we can all relate to in some way. I would recommend it for all ages.
  Phoenixmedusa | Jun 9, 2010 |
Intermediate grades read aloud.
  coolman | Dec 4, 2009 |
Once upon a time a tiny striped caterpillar burst from the egg which had been home for so long.
But - she just couldn't believe that the top was worth all it asks to get there. She wanted to get "up" too; the crawling life wasn't enough for her either. She also had to admit that it looked like the pile was the only way to do it.
Stripe seemed so sure that Yellow felt ashamed not to agree. She also felt stupid and embarrassed since she could never put her reasons into words that his kind of logic could understand.
Yet somehow, waiting and not being sure was better than action she couldn't believe in.

Hope's theme of life, moving through seeming death to a new and more beautiful life, has touched the hearts of millions of people. Hope for the Flowers is for young and old, lovers, husbands and wives. It's a book to learn to read with, or to comfort those who are dying or grieving. In the tale, the caterpillar heroes, Stripe and Yellow, want something more from life than eating and growing bigger. They get caught up in a "caterpillar pillar," a squirming mass of bodies, each determined to reach a top so far away it can't be seen. Finally disillusioned, they discover that the way for the caterpillars to find their particular "more," who they really are, is to enter the cocoon and "...risk for the butterfly." Hope for the Flowers has helped people gain the courage to leave jobs, change their lives and explore their love for another human being. Two million copies in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:53 -0400)

Stripe, an ambitious young caterpillar, abandons his struggle to reach the top when he meets a lovely yellow butterfly.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,383,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible