Attachment by Isabel Fonseca

Attachment

by Isabel Fonseca

Despite the blisteringly bad reviews on Amazon, I enjoed this novel about a middle aged woman contending with life in the form of a suspected infidelty, aging parents, and a cancer scare of her own. Poor Jean - I realized about halfway through the book that she was surrounded by people but utterly friendless which could have been the source of some of her unhappiness.

I liked Fonseca's style and her attention to domestic detail. The novel was a pleasure to read, even when I felt my mind drifting awayfrom the plot. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
I chose not to finish this book. Boring! ( )
  tami.jeanne | Nov 23, 2013 |
Fay Weldon recommends: "Isabel Fonseca's novel Attachment. An object lesson in how to compose a fluent, highly readable novel, sophisticated enough to please reviewers, yet sufficiently pertinent to real life to engage the reader. Take some beautiful self-assured people and exotic locations, stir in a dollop of email sex, difficult children and impossible men and bind with a real flair for language -- what a pleasure!" (Mslexia Calendar 2009)
  buriedinprint | Apr 8, 2013 |
Not recommended.

The 2 1/2 star average rating given for this book is a pretty accurate representation of the response of our book group who felt that the sexual content was rather too explicit and the story itself was a bit weak. In reward for our efforts to finish the book we weren't even sure whether the protagonist stayed with her husband or left him.

The central character is Jean, a forty-something journalist with a syndicated health column. Her husband of many years is an advertising excutive and together they decide to leave the rat race and move to the tropical island of St Jacques. This was one of the better parts of the book - the island was picturesque and vibrant, although only a handful of local characters appear.
When Jean picks up correspondence relating to Giovanna, Mark's 'bit-on-the-side', she starts to question their future together and all his actions are analysed in relation to this new discovery. However, rather than confront him with it, she impersonates him and corresponds with Giovana by e mail. Needless to say things get out of hand, ultimately threatening their future together.

I found Jean to be rather a sorry character, absorbed in herself and rather selfish. I was frustrated by her reasoning for not confronting Mark "because the moment had passed".
There are thousands of better books out there - I'd give this one a miss. ( )
  DubaiReader | Jun 17, 2010 |
Literary novel with plot set in Caribbean, NYC and London. The usual middle aged troubles come alive without miserable despair or unrealistic fantasy. ( )
  triscuit | Jun 18, 2009 |

The author of the classic Bury Me Standing now gives us a riveting first novel that reaches from the Indian Ocean to London and New York, and into the most confounding precincts of the human heart.

Jean Hubbard is a syndicated health columnist, her British husband, Mark, a successful advertising executive, and after more than twenty years together they revel in a sabbatical on a remote tropical island. But when Jean discovers a salacious love letter addressed to Mark, she realizes that she has misdiagnosed some acute pathologies in her own life. The long idyll of their mutual ease is over—but a more vivid and compelling quest has just begun. Looking for answers, Jean goes undercover with a surreptitious e-mail correspondence that propels her on to alarming, and illuminating, adventures of her own in her adopted home of London and her native New York.

Assured, funny, tender, and provocative, Attachment is unflinching in its depiction of desire, of the responsibility that comes with age and family, and of the impulses that color and disrupt our lives even as they reveal, ever more clearly, the nature of love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:42 -0400)

Enjoying a sabbatical on a tropical island with her husband Mark, health columnist Jean Hubbard finds her peace turned upside down by the discovery of a salacious love letter addressed to Mark, turmoil in her own life, and surprising news from her mother.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,792,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible