In Fury Born by David Weber

In Fury Born (original 2006; edition 2006)

by David Weber

Member:joythree
Title:In Fury Born
Authors:David Weber
Info:Baen (2006), Hardcover

In Fury Born by David Weber (2006)

This book is somewhat of a hybrid, classic David Weber military SF for the first half of the book and then picks up a fantasy (horror?) theme in the second half of the book with the introduction of a being from greek mythology and possession of the main character. The action is fast and furious throughout the first half of the story as we see Alicia Devries reach her full potential in the military. I was at first a little confused regarding the direction of the story with the introduction of the Fury character but I kept reading and it really finished with a bang. I would recommend this book to anyone who has enjoyed the Honor Harrington novels. ( )
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
As a massive fan of Weber's "Path of the Fury", I felt that this book, which expands the story to include Alicia DeVries' early career, was unnecessary padding out of story.

We didn't need the Shallingsport and Louvain missions laid out before us in the excruciating military minutiae that Weber is infamous for: Those wonderful few paragraphs in Chapter 6 of _Path_ ("they held they held they _held_ until the recovery shuttles came down like the hands of god") were entirely sufficient to give us the visceral, emotional impact without diluting the taut, vengeance driven story of the present.

My personal opinion was that this was written in the era when Baen would have printed Weber's laundry list if he'd submitted it to them. Compare this and the bloated 'Ashes of Victory' (2002) and 'War of Honor' (2005) with the much more tightly edited 'Mission of Honor' from 2012 ( )
  michaelbirks | Apr 30, 2012 |
Path of the Fury has always been my favorite of Weber's books (yes, even over Honor Harrington), so when I saw this one -- labeled as a revised edition of PotF plus a novel-length prequel -- I had to grab it.

Nor was I disappointed. The prequel is what I expected it to be: the backstory of Captain Alicia DeVries' military career, first as a regular soldier and then as a member of the Imperial Cadre, including full details on the two major engagements alluded to in PotF. The revisions to PotF itself are relatively minor: a couple of added or changed scenes, and otherwise mostly bringing the language and the details into harmony with the storyline from the prequel -- for example, some minor characters now have names, when the original book referred to them only by description. If you don't have the original PotF, you won't be missing anything by just getting this book; and if you do, it's still worth the purchase price for the prequel alone.

It's hard to classify this book as SF or fantasy. The setting and most of the action is good old-fashioned space opera, taking place in Weber's Terran Empire. But the Fury in the title is one of the Erinnyes of ancient Greece, which gives it a solid push in the direction of fantasy. Overall, I tend to think of it as SF; the magical element isn't enough to overwhelm the rest of it. Captain DeVries herself is a protagonist in much the same mold as Honor Harrington (including being a prodigy to a degree that rides the ragged edge of unbelievability), but with less personal involvement in politics -- this is straight action-adventure from beginning to end. There's a rich background tapestry of secondary and incidental characters, and enough technobabble to sound realistic without descending into the depths of relating interminable engagement details.

Now that Weber has his character and this particular section of the universe a little more fleshed out, I'm rather hoping that he'll write a sequel or two about Captain DeVries' further career. If you like strong female protagonists who kick ass and take names, you'll certainly enjoy this book. ( )
1 vote stardreamer | Sep 29, 2008 |
Expansion of the original paperback, with 32 new chapters added to the beginning, and some changes to Ch 33/Ch 1. I'm glad to have the beginning stuff, but transisition isn't seamless despite the changes.
  mcegan | Sep 15, 2007 |

Contains

Is an expanded version of

Information from the Polish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Imperial Intelligence couldn't find them, the Imperial Fleet couldn't catch them, and local defences couldn't stop them. It seemed the planet-wrecking pirates were invincible. But, they made a big mistake when they raided ex-commando leader Alicia DeVries' quiet home world, tortured and murdered her family, and then left her for dead.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,001,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible