Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by…

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (1987)

by Douglas Adams

Series: Dirk Gently (1)

11,112175339 (3.9)2 / 317

English (172)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (175)
Creative, intriguing, and of course, quirky. I'm a fan of the Hitchhiker's series, so of course anything by Adams sparked my interest. To sum it up, it's like Sherlock Holmes meets zany characters and a little science fiction all rolled up into an outlandish bit of writing. ( )
  CherieKephart | Jul 24, 2018 |
I decided to re-read this after having watched the BBC show of the same name, and while my memory of the book was spotty, I was struck fully in the face by how very different book-Dirk is from TV-Dirk.
Book Dirk is much, much more mercenary and less trustworthy. He's also bigger, older and probably not as good looking.
Anyway, in the book, Dirk Gently, does run a holistic detective agency, but he has an office and mostly its a scam of little old ladies who've lost pets.
Anyway, Dirk's path holistlically crosses that of an old schoolmate, a professor of Chronology, an electric monk and a ghost. Dirk has to puzzle out what all these things have in common and save life as we know it.
This is a hard book to quantify. I was sucked in. I enjoyed it. I wasn't a big fan of this version of Dirk as he's a scammer and very messy. I love Adams' writing, though and his quirky turns of phrase. ( )
  EmScape | Jun 5, 2018 |
A mostly interesting story but I found it not as funny as expected (or maybe the humor just was not my cup of tea). I will probably have to read the next in this series as this one really did not have a satisfying ending... ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
This took me a while to rap my head around, but after The Hitchhiker's Guide, I should have foreseen this. I enjoyed the characters and how they could be recognized as people I might know. I truly enjoyed the satire. The electric monks were a great idea. I think we need some in our confused society. ( )
  kbartosh | Mar 27, 2018 |
I think it would have gotten more stars if Adams didn't take almost the entire book for any action to happen. And we don't even meet Dirk Gently until the second half of the book.

I do think that this could be hilarious in the way Dr.Who is hilarious, as a tv show...but as a book I kept falling asleep. Some of it was funny but mostly I just kept thinking that Adams should just get to the point and stop trying to force goofy on me every two lines.

Maybe I'll try #2 but I'll probably just watch the BBC show. ( )
  ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boyd, BillyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carter, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colman, OliviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enfield. HarryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maggs, DirkDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sachs, AndrewNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A thumping good detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic -The author
To my mother, who liked the bit about the horse
Janet Thrift
This time there would be no witnesses.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Wikipedia description: Dirk bills himself as a "holistic detective" who makes use of "the fundamental interconnectedness of all things" to solve the whole crime, and find the whole person. This involves running up large expense accounts and then claiming that every item (such as needing to go to a tropical beach in the Bahamas for three weeks) was, due to the "fundamental interconnectedness of all things", actually a vital part of the investigation. Challenged on this point in the first novel, he claims that he cannot in fairness be considered to have ripped anybody off, because none of his clients have paid him yet. He maintains an office at 33a Peckender St. N1 London, with telephone number 01-354 9112 (407-2882 in the advertising campaign for the book).
Gently has an odd facility for accurate assumptions, as every wild guess he makes turns out to be true. Once a student at St. Cedd's College, Cambridge, he left in disgrace when he attempted to acquire money by selling exam papers for the upcoming tests. His fellow students were convinced that he had produced the papers under hypnosis—in reality, he had simply studied previous papers and determined potential patterns in the questions. However when his papers turned out to be exactly the same as the real papers, to the very comma, he was arrested and sent to prison.
Dirk Gently says: "All
Things are fundamentally
Interconnected."
(passion4reading)
Your usual, run-
Of-the-mill detective-time
Travel-ghost story.
(passion4reading)

The investigations of Dirk Gently, a private detective who is more interested in telekinesis, quantum mechanics and lunch than fiddling around with fingerprint powders, produce startling and unexpected results.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible